7504 posts
754 upvotes
Toronto
Including the stone countertop?
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2308 posts
581 upvotes
For under 2k? Highly unlikely unless you handle all the labour and get a steal of a deal on the materials...that stone top alone will be very spendy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote: For under 2k? Highly unlikely unless you handle all the labour and get a steal of a deal on the materials...that stone top alone will be very spendy.
Already getting the Quartz top for around 1k. So the cabinet part I need
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1112 posts
409 upvotes
Mississauga
If you get mdf, or particle board wood, (lowest quality grade), get the posts from Peacock or Fairbanks lumber, then prep and paint the base that can be a diy'er job. As for the quartz again it would need to be entry level (low priced) with a very basic design (I guess you already know that) then yes it can be done. Keep in mind it won't be exactly as in the photo and quality will suffer, but it's doable.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2308 posts
581 upvotes
You got the quartz for 1k? How big is your island? The one in the pic looks to be in the 6x4 ballpark (possible larger). The price for the bottom will depend on quality of materials, quality of finish and functionality. If you want drawers and such it's gonna push the price up.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26627 posts
3545 upvotes
Montreal
Wait, do you want the sink in the island? That requires tearing apart your basement ceiling.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
jrees wrote: You got the quartz for 1k? How big is your island? The one in the pic looks to be in the 6x4 ballpark (possible larger). The price for the bottom will depend on quality of materials, quality of finish and functionality. If you want drawers and such it's gonna push the price up.
The one in the pic is at LEAST 10x5; those chairs are more than 1' wide, and that thing is at least 8 chairs long.

So, you've got the quartz already; that's good, because the pictured piece would be WAY over $2k. However, you're going for theme, not re-creating this exact item.

You could get that wood end chopping-block piece from Ikea; they sell wood countertop something like that. What appears to be a stainless fridge? I suppose a bar fridge could fit in there, from Kijiji. Again, sink, faucet, etc from Kijiji, otherwise this stuff is going to cost you at least $2-300 (sink/faucet/drain pipes/water pipes/etc). Probably hit up your local Habitat for Humanity / Kijiji and see if you can get an old kitchen (maybe even someone who will let you demo their kitchen for free); that would get you all the cabinets, hardware for the doors, and a bunch of different sizes of pre-built cabinet "boxes", maybe even a sink/faucet (but getting a "single" would probably be a challenge). Those posts, if you know someone with a wood lathe, could be made pretty easily from old 4x4s. Otherwise, Goodwill/Kijiji and find a very ugly table with those as the legs; finding two that match might be a challenge, but I've seen tables that have those in the free to $70 range. Maybe you can find old bannister spindles; my sister just pitched hers that looked something like that and replaced them with glass.

From there, you'd just have to assemble it all and paint it. If you have an acceptable number of cabinets to create the underside of this thing (minus the details) without spending any cash, you should be able to cobble together a ghetto version of this thing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
jrees wrote: You got the quartz for 1k? How big is your island? The one in the pic looks to be in the 6x4 ballpark (possible larger). The price for the bottom will depend on quality of materials, quality of finish and functionality. If you want drawers and such it's gonna push the price up.
The island is gonna be 6x3 roughly Quartz is about $40-60/ square ft that's only 18 sq ft. What I really like is the details like this one with the scroll type thing https://goo.gl/images/XkByax
But I thought it would be too hard to diy :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: The one in the pic is at LEAST 10x5; those chairs are more than 1' wide, and that thing is at least 8 chairs long.

So, you've got the quartz already; that's good, because the pictured piece would be WAY over $2k. However, you're going for theme, not re-creating this exact item.

You could get that wood end chopping-block piece from Ikea; they sell wood countertop something like that. What appears to be a stainless fridge? I suppose a bar fridge could fit in there, from Kijiji. Again, sink, faucet, etc from Kijiji, otherwise this stuff is going to cost you at least $2-300 (sink/faucet/drain pipes/water pipes/etc). Probably hit up your local Habitat for Humanity / Kijiji and see if you can get an old kitchen (maybe even someone who will let you demo their kitchen for free); that would get you all the cabinets, hardware for the doors, and a bunch of different sizes of pre-built cabinet "boxes", maybe even a sink/faucet (but getting a "single" would probably be a challenge). Those posts, if you know someone with a wood lathe, could be made pretty easily from old 4x4s. Otherwise, Goodwill/Kijiji and find a very ugly table with those as the legs; finding two that match might be a challenge, but I've seen tables that have those in the free to $70 range. Maybe you can find old bannister spindles; my sister just pitched hers that looked something like that and replaced them with glass.

From there, you'd just have to assemble it all and paint it. If you have an acceptable number of cabinets to create the underside of this thing (minus the details) without spending any cash, you should be able to cobble together a ghetto version of this thing.
Yea I was thinking of what to search on kijiji there are tons of old wooden desks practically being thrown away that I think I could add some wood to get the look I'm going for I guess I would just add some plywood at the bottom to make it higher?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
A desk is a pretty interesting idea. I have a 5' x 3' desk with a 1-1/4" piece of solid wood with a ~1/4" piece of veneer on top that I got for $25; I think having an oak countertop would look pretty stupid, but who knows. Worst case scenario, you're out $25 and some time.

Edit: With the second one you linked. you could make a lot of that detailing with MDF. That circle basically looks like the cheap version of those things you put around lights on the ceiling. That ornate bit would be expensive.

Also, with a smaller island, that definitely will cut down your costs. Not sure if they charge to finish the edges all pretty, or if you can do that yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1095 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
ChubChub wrote: A desk is a pretty interesting idea. I have a 5' x 3' desk with a 1-1/4" piece of solid wood with a ~1/4" piece of veneer on top that I got for $25; I think having an oak countertop would look pretty stupid, but who knows. Worst case scenario, you're out $25 and some time.
+1, restore a reclaimed table and retrofit it would save you big $. It would be the centerpiece of your kitchen.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2257 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Just found a place that says they will charge around $800 to make it from scratch with Quartz...and I've seen their work it's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds too good to be true though ..to be continued lol
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8710 posts
5091 upvotes
ON
Drew_W wrote: Including the stone countertop?
I don't think so. Just the counter top will run him that depending on size and material.