169 upvotes

[Kitchen Stuff Plus] Henckels four star knives 50-60% off

31 replies
Banned
Nov 27, 2014
232 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not sure how these compare, but the bay just had a 13 piece knife set * block for 109.99 from 289.99 I believe.

I'd wait for that again unless I really needed it now.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2935 posts
2334 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Deals4Daysss wrote: Not sure how these compare, but the bay just had a 13 piece knife set * block for 109.99 from 289.99 I believe.

Impossible to compare anything to "a 13-piece block set", but if you can provide a link I can probably tell you if it's a better deal. But just going by the fact that there are 13 pieces for regular $290 I'd say they're inferior to Zwilling Henckels Four Star.

The Four Star is good steel, excellent blade geometry, and good manufacturing quality. The only thing I don't like about it is the big old-style bolster (that needless chunk of steel that extends down the back of the blade where it meets the handle), because it gets in the way of sharpening and needs to be ground down, which can easily ruin the refined appearance. $99 is a decent price for it, but regular price is not $200 - it's $140 at Bed Bath & Beyond, $120 with a paring and utility at Williams, etc.
http://www.williamsfoodequipment.com/zw ... -35168-100
Jul 22, 2006
97 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
From what I've heard the double characters are the higher brand. The single guy on the logo is the lower quality. Gf asks how the hell I know that and she doesn't but I do ;)
Jul 11, 2004
928 posts
194 upvotes
If the Four Stars are made the same with the same material today as they were before, it's a great knife. My Four Stars are about 30 years old now and they are still as useable as when I purchased them so many years ago. These knives can literally be the last knives you may ever need to purchase.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2010
601 posts
169 upvotes
Anything with the Twin stickmen is the better line and usually made in Germany; generally very well made and will last decades if taken care of. The single stickman is the lower-end stuff that's usually made in China, not terrible but the twins stuff are much better.
Banned
Nov 27, 2014
232 posts
192 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
OakAged wrote:
Deals4Daysss wrote: Not sure how these compare, but the bay just had a 13 piece knife set * block for 109.99 from 289.99 I believe.

Impossible to compare anything to "a 13-piece block set", but if you can provide a link I can probably tell you if it's a better deal. But just going by the fact that there are 13 pieces for regular $290 I'd say they're inferior to Zwilling Henckels Four Star.

The Four Star is good steel, excellent blade geometry, and good manufacturing quality. The only thing I don't like about it is the big old-style bolster (that needless chunk of steel that extends down the back of the blade where it meets the handle), because it gets in the way of sharpening and needs to be ground down, which can easily ruin the refined appearance. $99 is a decent price for it, but regular price is not $200 - it's $140 at Bed Bath & Beyond, $120 with a paring and utility at Williams, etc.
The one at the bay was a henckels 13 piece set available last Saturday and Sunday. Go look in the flyer
Probably better value than this.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
Knife block sets are ridiculous.
They're not built for the end user but rather the retailer.

They pad out the number of things in the set with useless things to build up the piece count so you end up with random knives that serve no purpose.

If it were me I'd rather piecemeal knives together that I'd actually use.
It's certainly not as cheap, but you get more useful knives as a result.

I mean... every block I've seen has like an 8" bread knife, a 10" steel, some random knives that I can't imagine what I'd use for.
Here's an 8" chef (works fine) and a 7" chef (why? have an 8" chef) and a 6" monstrosity that's not a chefs nor a slicer nor a paring nor a I have no idea what it's for.

For me I'd rather have an 8" chefs, 12 or 14" slicer,10" or 12" bread, paring, and fill it in with a steel and call it a day.
There really isn't any other knife I need. Maybe a santoku if I'm doing a ton of veggies because the scalloped edges means things don't stick.
If you twisted my arm for one more a 10" chefs is sometimes handy too.
That's still 6 knives tops plus a steel.
What's the other 6 pieces? Unless it's a steak knife set I can't figure out what they'd use for 6 more knives.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
May 24, 2013
87 posts
53 upvotes
Burnaby

The ones at the bay are the low end Henckels statement 13 piece set. it's like comparing Plated gold jewellery to solid gold ones. They may look the same but completely different inside. Cheap made in china steel vs forged made in Germany steel.
Mar 20, 2005
449 posts
137 upvotes
Ottawa
Ahhh, that 4-star utility knife is wonderful. This baby slices perfectly even through the most over-ripe tomato. So many uses. Hard not to grab another (as the wife is constantly using this knife and I always find it dirty :|)
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
I find KSP similar to Crappy Tire, their regular prices are always inflated so be wary of their "sale" prices. Always good to cross reference pricing with the usual suspects before pulling the trigger.

I bought a bunch of these to give away, really good price on a Zwilling(2 man) paring knife $5.99.

http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/zwillin ... nife-asstd
Mar 25, 2005
642 posts
63 upvotes
Bowmanville
This may be a dumb question - but does the block set include the 5 knives the OP posted?
Dec 16, 2007
690 posts
220 upvotes
TO
tg82 wrote: This may be a dumb question - but does the block set include the 5 knives the OP posted?
According to the additional info link on that page this package includes 6 items. The block and 5 knives but it doesnt indicate what type of knives. Im going to assume its the ones pictured but you wont know for sure until you see it in person.

Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3942 posts
1455 upvotes
Montreal
death_hawk wrote:

They pad out the number of things in the set with useless things to build up the piece count so you end up with random knives that serve no purpose.

I mean... every block I've seen has like an 8" bread knife, a 10" steel, some random knives that I can't imagine what I'd use for.
Here's an 8" chef (works fine) and a 7" chef (why? have an 8" chef) and a 6" monstrosity that's not a chefs nor a slicer nor a paring nor a I have no idea what it's for.

For me I'd rather have an 8" chefs, 12 or 14" slicer,10" or 12" bread, paring, and fill it in with a steel and call it a day.
There really isn't any other knife I need. Maybe a santoku if I'm doing a ton of veggies because the scalloped edges means things don't stick.
What's the other 6 pieces? Unless it's a steak knife set I can't figure out what they'd use for 6 more knives.
The real question is which would be better in a zombie apocalypse? Quality or quantity ;)
Jul 12, 2010
470 posts
76 upvotes
Didnt they have a 1 day sale like a month ago for 4 pieces for like $150 which was a way hotter deal
Nov 24, 2006
714 posts
75 upvotes
Toronto
The Four Star Collection is supposed to be good, but what knives are included in this set? It doesn't say...
Mar 9, 2005
606 posts
67 upvotes
Richmond
andy28 wrote: Didnt they have a 1 day sale like a month ago for 4 pieces for like $150 which was a way hotter deal
It was $99 for 8" Chef, 5" serrated and a paring knife. All useful knives in that set. But, unless there's a time machine, you will be waiting for a very long time for that deal again.
Nov 10, 2013
140 posts
36 upvotes
this set is much better than the set that was on sale at the bay. i have the one from the bay and the knives are made in spain and are extremely soft... gets dull after a few cuts
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13600 upvotes
GT!! wrote:
death_hawk wrote:

The real question is which would be better in a zombie apocalypse? Quality or quantity ;)
Are you stabbing zombies and leaving the knife in?
Also unless you're throwing the block at them and also have incredible aim, there's only like 2 or 3 knives in your 13 piece block that are of any use.
Unless you can stab them in the brain with a steak knife....
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2935 posts
2334 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Deals4Daysss wrote:
OakAged wrote:

The one at the bay was a henckels 13 piece set available last Saturday and Sunday. Go look in the flyer
Probably better value than this.
I just searched The Bay's site and they only have three 13-piece Henckels sets, and they're all Henckels International. Not at all comparable to Zwilling Henckels. They're cheap, soft steel that won't take or hold a good edge and dull quickly; the geometry is inferior, as is the overall design; the produciton quality is sub par. It's Henckels's "***** the name" line. So no, not at all better value. Look at the prices of Zwilling sets at the Bay and you'll get an idea of the difference in worth between the two lines.