Food & Drink

which KitchenAID Stand Mixer Attachement are must have?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2019 2:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2503 posts
1026 upvotes
Quebec

which KitchenAID Stand Mixer Attachement are must have?

Bought the GF the costco StandMixer Artisan for XMAS and it comes with a 3 pieces attachement

I also bought the Meat attachmement (not from KitchenAID)

Otherwise which attachement do you consider vital?

Thanks
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
8119 posts
4083 upvotes
I am curious if anyone has used the grain mill attachment and, if so, how well does this work? I have a Magic Mill grain grinder that works well but is now needing replacement and am considering the Kitchen Aid attachment if it is any good.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3875 posts
1753 upvotes
Mississauga
For me is the meat grinder. I always grind my own chicken / pork / beef at home. I also make a lot of my own smoked sausages. The pasta attachement I tried, but not for me.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6912 posts
1614 upvotes
An extra bowl is my most used extra for the mixer.

Had the Flex beater but didn't find it all that useful.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
Which attachment to buy/considered vital depends on what you cook.
>A meat grinder is a must if you want to make sausages/your own ground meat (ie don't trust butchers/grocers).
> If you're into baking/chocolate, a heated bowl might be vital if you want to temper chocolate.
> If you're vegetarian and you want to spiralize veggies, maybe a spiralizer.

Personally I might not go looking for a bunch of attachments until you know what you really want.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
I would 100% not buy their grinder. There's one on Amazon US for about $125USD that's all stainless and uses standard grind plates.
I've actually ended up with 4 of the Kitchenaid grinders and every single one ended up with the "grey ooze" problem.
Now it's been a few years so maybe they fixed their tolerances finally, but what was happening was the auger was rubbing on the grind plate and making fine metal shavings. This mixed with the fat and turned the ground meat grey.
They do have an all metal unit now, but it's aluminium which means it's not dishwasher safe. For me anything that touches meat should be dishwasher safe. Spend the extra money and get the stainless.
Also if you plan on making sausage, skip the stuffer. My first batch of sausage took me 30 minutes for 2 links. I went out and bought a proper stuffer the next day to finish my 10lbs of sausage and it took about 30 minutes to do the whole thing.

As for the other attachments, I have some to most of them:
-(Old) shredder (RVSA) I would recommend. The new one looks a little small in the feed tube. It already sucks breaking down a block of parm. I wouldn't want to break it down further.
-Pasta rollers I would recommend. Cutters are optional but I got a good price on all 3.
-Pasta press I would not recommend. It's fine, but it extrudes kinda thick throwing off the texture.
-Citrus reamer I would maybe recommend. It's fine again, but it's a lot of work.
-"Food Processor" I would maybe recommend. It's not cheap and I bought it solely because it's a pass through dicer. The problem is that the blade isn't that sharp so only extremely hard vegetables get diced nicely. It does do a decent job at dicing though.
-Vegetable sheeter sounds neat on paper so I bought one. I just haven't tested it yet.

EDIT: I don't count bowls/paddles/etc as "attachments" but I do have a spare bowl/paddle set for each mixer I have.
I also made sure I got the coated beaters because the aluminium ones aren't dishwasher safe.
Oct 2, 2018
409 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Must have that I can recommend highly is the 'Kitchen Aid spiralizer plus', wife and kids love zucchini noodles for making a pasta substitute and this makes it super easy and cost efficient.

Also have the 'kitchen Aid fresh prep slicer/shreader', for cheese grading.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: I would 100% not buy their grinder. There's one on Amazon US for about $125USD that's all stainless and uses standard grind plates.
I've actually ended up with 4 of the Kitchenaid grinders and every single one ended up with the "grey ooze" problem.
Now it's been a few years so maybe they fixed their tolerances finally, but what was happening was the auger was rubbing on the grind plate and making fine metal shavings. This mixed with the fat and turned the ground meat grey.
They do have an all metal unit now, but it's aluminium which means it's not dishwasher safe. For me anything that touches meat should be dishwasher safe. Spend the extra money and get the stainless.
Also if you plan on making sausage, skip the stuffer. My first batch of sausage took me 30 minutes for 2 links. I went out and bought a proper stuffer the next day to finish my 10lbs of sausage and it took about 30 minutes to do the whole thing.

As for the other attachments, I have some to most of them:
-(Old) shredder (RVSA) I would recommend. The new one looks a little small in the feed tube. It already sucks breaking down a block of parm. I wouldn't want to break it down further.
-Pasta rollers I would recommend. Cutters are optional but I got a good price on all 3.
-Pasta press I would not recommend. It's fine, but it extrudes kinda thick throwing off the texture.
-Citrus reamer I would maybe recommend. It's fine again, but it's a lot of work.
-"Food Processor" I would maybe recommend. It's not cheap and I bought it solely because it's a pass through dicer. The problem is that the blade isn't that sharp so only extremely hard vegetables get diced nicely. It does do a decent job at dicing though.
-Vegetable sheeter sounds neat on paper so I bought one. I just haven't tested it yet.

EDIT: I don't count bowls/paddles/etc as "attachments" but I do have a spare bowl/paddle set for each mixer I have.
I also made sure I got the coated beaters because the aluminium ones aren't dishwasher safe.
For the grinder, I think it depends on how much meat you're grinding. I don't grind a lot of meat at one time so I haven't really had much issue with mine. I usually buy one butt/shoulder and I cut pieces into maybe 1" size and almost freeze it before grinding - make sausage patties with it. Having said that if you're doing more than that, I'd probably buy something with higher "capacity".

For pasta....If you like that, I really like my Philips pasta maker. I know it's single use but it works and I use it to make Ramen as well.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: For the grinder, I think it depends on how much meat you're grinding.
I mean... you're not wrong, but the issue I describe is a tolerance issue.
You either have it or you don't.
If you don't, it's a perfectly cromulent grinder.
But if you are grinding large quantities, a better grinder would do better.
For pasta....If you like that, I really like my Philips pasta maker. I know it's single use but it works and I use it to make Ramen as well.
I've always kind of wanted one, but my kitchen is already full of single use things.
So now I basically just make tag. It's delicious and simple.
Sometimes rav too, but that doesn't require a cutter or a press.
It'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure it's worth a couple hundred bucks. For the Philips or the pasta press for the mixer.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
ratatapa wrote: Bought the GF the costco StandMixer Artisan for XMAS and it comes with a 3 pieces attachement

I also bought the Meat attachmement (not from KitchenAID)

Otherwise which attachement do you consider vital?

Thanks
Hard for anyone to answer that given what you might want to prepare is different from what we do. Everyone is different.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4926 upvotes
Here 'n There
death_hawk wrote: I've actually ended up with 4 of the Kitchenaid grinders and every single one ended up with the "grey ooze" problem.
Probably just bad luck as both me and my Mom have had the same one for years with no ooze problem, grey or otherwise. KitchenAid is known to be a very quality product

(cue the chattering classes who are going to say I work for KitchenAid. I'll add that to Sonos, Bose, Apple and the many other company's I apparently work for, but, um, why have my paycheques never arrived?)
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: I mean... you're not wrong, but the issue I describe is a tolerance issue.
You either have it or you don't.
If you don't, it's a perfectly cromulent grinder.
But if you are grinding large quantities, a better grinder would do better.

I've always kind of wanted one, but my kitchen is already full of single use things.
So now I basically just make tag. It's delicious and simple.
Sometimes rav too, but that doesn't require a cutter or a press.
It'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure it's worth a couple hundred bucks. For the Philips or the pasta press for the mixer.
That Pasta machine works quite well if you like making pasta/ramen via extrusion which is so so much easier than making dough with my food processor and then chilling and then rolling out with my pasta roller over and over and over again as I reduced thickness. That roller is a bit messy as well with flour going all over the place.

The machine also makes sheets which you can use to make lasagna or ravioli or dumplings...it is singular thickness (ie not adjustable although I could put a roller on it). I'm sure if you have an alert on Kijiji someone is going to sell it for cheap judging by the number of ppl who have bought one when they went on sale and likely have lost their love for it. It is a pain to pull out if you don't have storage though.

I have in the past made ramen and froze it for single person or whenever use. That way I didn't have to pull it out and make a batch every time I wanted noodles. Fresh Ramen noodles was really quite good...noodles had slight chew and it doesn't seem to get soggy as it sits in the broth.

Now that I'm talking about it, maybe I'll make a batch for eating this weekend and for future eating. LOL.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
eonibm wrote: Probably just bad luck as both me and my Mom have had the same one for years with no ooze problem, grey or otherwise.
No question. I totally got unlucky.
I know there's tons of people that are perfectly happy, but I got tired of gambling and losing.
Luckily I only actually bought 2 of them. The other 2 I inherited.
KitchenAid is known to be a very quality product

They are above average, but they still do have flaws.
The grinder for example.

I don't think I'd be as bitter if they admitted what the problem is.
They still claim it's grease from the other end, but it's clearly only being emitted from the central "nub" that sticks through the grinder plate.

It's 100% a tolerance issue. I ran my grinder for an hour empty and produced a bunch of metal shavings.
gr8dlr wrote:
That Pasta machine works quite well if you like making pasta/ramen via extrusion which is so so much easier than making dough with my food processor and then chilling and then rolling out with my pasta roller over and over and over again as I reduced thickness. That roller is a bit messy as well with flour going all over the place.
Yeah it's easier making extrusion in the Kitchenaid too. Too bad the dies suck though.
For full disclosure I've only used 2 of the 7? dies: Both macaronis.
I'm not really interested in spaghetti (I'd rather have linguini or tag)
I should give it another shot with the other dies.
But I really like my rollers. Sure they make a mess, but they can produce some paper thin pastas.
The machine also makes sheets which you can use to make lasagna or ravioli or dumplings...
How wide are the sheets?
it is singular thickness (ie not adjustable although I could put a roller on it).
Does it produce something that thin? I think I have a different image in my mind. I didn't think it could even do sheets.
I'm sure if you have an alert on Kijiji someone is going to sell it for cheap judging by the number of ppl who have bought one when they went on sale and likely have lost their love for it. It is a pain to pull out if you don't have storage though.
BRB looking. Now I'm curious.
Damn. $150 for a "new" machine missing discs. Nah.
Fresh Ramen noodles was really quite good...noodles had slight chew and it doesn't seem to get soggy as it sits in the broth.
Did you use the alkaline water?
Now that I'm talking about it, maybe I'll make a batch for eating this weekend and for future eating. LOL.
I haven't had pasta in a while either. I should go track down some parm....
Or vegan cheese Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12130 posts
7010 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: How wide are the sheets?

Does it produce something that thin? I think I have a different image in my mind. I didn't think it could even do sheets.

BRB looking. Now I'm curious.
Damn. $150 for a "new" machine missing discs. Nah.

Did you use the alkaline water?

I haven't had pasta in a while either. I should go track down some parm....
Or vegan cheese Face With Tears Of Joy
From google..the comes with machine lasagna/ravioli sheet is 1.2mm thick. They sell another die that is 0.8 mm for dumplings if you want thinner. Dies if you can find them are not cheap though....some aren't sold here so you have to find a "overseas" friend to purchase.

Lasagna/ravioli Width is 9 cm give or take. You can cut papardelle from the sheets.

For ramen, I add Kansui which is Asian alkaline water.

If you're looking on Kijiji, might be good after Christmas when gifts are turned into cash.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13002 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Lasagna/ravioli Width is 9 cm give or take.
Oh that's narrow for ravs. Granted... you could do 2 sheets stacked I guess instead of folding over.
Maybe it's not so bad.
If you're looking on Kijiji, might be good after Christmas when gifts are turned into cash.
Or 15 minutes after someone posts a hot deal here.