Home & Garden

Kitchenaid vs. Maytag vs. Whirlpool.

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2013 12:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga

Kitchenaid vs. Maytag vs. Whirlpool.

There was a thread with the same tittle started just over a year ago and there was no clear conclusion. I know that they all come from the same warehouse and they may even be built on the same line but I also know from experience that they all aren't built to the same standards hence my question. I was going to include Jenn Air, but I believe it maybe out of my price range.


Which ones seem to have the best quality in bottom freezer french door fridges, countertop microwaves, dishwashers, natural gas stoves, vent hood. washer & driers,
34 replies
Sr. Member
Sep 13, 2008
774 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
I had a repair man from sears tell me that pretty much all brands are the same. But he personally buys Samsung or LG because replacement parts cost the least.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the reply redwings_patriots.

Having personally repaired several fridges for both my family as well as relatives and having owned maybe 4 fridges in my lifetime I can say from some experience they're definately not all the same. Unfortunately Samsung and LG aren't an option for me. My options are Kitchenaid, Maytag, Whirlpool and Jenn Air but I find them high priced.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
707 upvotes
Waterloo
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: Thanks for the reply redwings_patriots.

Having personally repaired several fridges for both my family as well as relatives and having owned maybe 4 fridges in my lifetime I can say from some experience they're definately not all the same. Unfortunately Samsung and LG aren't an option for me. My options are Kitchenaid, Maytag, Whirlpool and Jenn Air but I find them high priced.

All brands have tiered products within the brand. I believe the reliability of all three brands would be the same. Just buy the one which has features you like the most.

If you really insist , I believe whirlpool is at the bottom tier in the three, Kitchen aid and Maytag are more or less the same I believe.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
10896 posts
3050 upvotes
Saskatoon
My old washer and dryer were Kitchen Aid and they lasted almost 20 years...however, it had a major failure within the first three years (needed a new transmission). Thankfully, we got it replaced for free. It needed new couplers every three or four years but my husband became adept at replacing those...I replaced it with a Samsung set a year or so ago.

My stove is Jenn-Air and I had the original one for almost the same time as we had the washer/dryer. The bottom oven element went on it so we replaced it with another Jenn-Air. Choices were limited for us because the down-draft system was already in place and it would have cost us $1000 just to put in a proper range hood. I know this brand is not one of your choices, but I just wanted to mention it for anyone else thinking about buying one. You are really limited because as far as I know, only Jenn-Air has such a system of venting - it does work well though.

I've heard that Maytag has really gone downhill in the past few years. I don't have any Maytag appliances but my MIL has a dishwasher and washer and dryer by them and she doesn't like them. The dishwasher was replaced for free because of some recall.

I hate to say this, but I think you can get a lemon with all brands. Personally, I buy the best I can afford and this has worked well for me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
Supahhh wrote: All brands have tiered products within the brand. I believe the reliability of all three brands would be the same. Just buy the one which has features you like the most.

If you really insist , I believe whirlpool is at the bottom tier in the three, Kitchen aid and Maytag are more or less the same I believe.
According to consumers report, Kitchenaid and Jenn Air have the best reliability and in regards to bottom line etc, it's Whirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid, Jenn Air. I've already done the research, but wanted first hand experience from present owners as this purchase will most likely take place in a couple weeks. I was actually thinking of going with the 36" ng blue star that Costco sells instead except my wife would like sealed burners.
Mars2012 wrote: My old washer and dryer were Kitchen Aid and they lasted almost 20 years...however, it had a major failure within the first three years (needed a new transmission). Thankfully, we got it replaced for free. It needed new couplers every three or four years but my husband became adept at replacing those...I replaced it with a Samsung set a year or so ago.

My stove is Jenn-Air and I had the original one for almost the same time as we had the washer/dryer. The bottom oven element went on it so we replaced it with another Jenn-Air. Choices were limited for us because the down-draft system was already in place and it would have cost us $1000 just to put in a proper range hood. I know this brand is not one of your choices, but I just wanted to mention it for anyone else thinking about buying one. You are really limited because as far as I know, only Jenn-Air has such a system of venting - it does work well though.

I've heard that Maytag has really gone downhill in the past few years.
I've heard the same thing about Maytag suffering in regards to there quality in recent years. As for the downdraft venting, we're going with a wall mounted vent hood.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1779 posts
769 upvotes
London
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I've heard the same thing about Maytag suffering in regards to there quality in recent years.
Maytag really doesn't exist anymore, in the sense of it being it's own reputable brand from the past. (Maytag repairman)
Whirlpool acquired the name and it's just a re-branded Whirlpool.
The name lived on. The product died.
Like automobiles, they'll include different features, but the chassis is the same.

As far as marketing, Maytag > Whirlpool.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5291 posts
1902 upvotes
Winnipeg
They are all the same company

The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht and Consul. After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world."[citation needed]

Courtesy of wiiki
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4156 posts
3433 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Kitchenaid French door fridge (bottom freezer) and a Kenmore-branded dishwasher (rebrand of a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher). Both about 2-3 years old. Fridge has been okay, but slight issue of uneven temperatures in the fridge (back is colder than the front of the fridge compartment), but that's not that unusual. Freezer's drain plug became frozen after about a year, but that is also not unusual for bottom freezers of any make. Easy for a DIYer to fix. MSRP for the fridge was about $2,200 if you want to compare the price point vs. quality.

Dishwasher has been perfect. Note that dishwashers made by Whirlpool Corp need a special 90 degree elbow to hook up to the hot water supply and it wasn't included for some reason, so I had to buy it for approx. $20 at an appliance parts store (Reliable Parts). Don't know if that's still the case, but you can probably check the manual online before you buy.

Is the reason you picked those brands is because you have access to an employee discount or something? Otherwise, getting a Kenmore-branded appliance is usually a better bang for the buck as long as you can figure out who the manufacturer is. I would pick a Whirlpool Corp appliance over an Electrolux (ie. Fridgidaire, etc.) one. My Kenmore dishwasher was on sale so it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the identical Whirlpool one and fairly well reviewed by Consumer Reports. Nowadays, the Bosch dishwashers are the most highly rated ones at Consumer Reports and on sale fairly often at Lowes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
arisk wrote: Maytag really doesn't exist anymore, in the sense of it being it's own reputable brand from the past. (Maytag repairman)
Whirlpool acquired the name and it's just a re-branded Whirlpool.
The name lived on. The product died.
Like automobiles, they'll include different features, but the chassis is the same.

As far as marketing, Maytag > Whirlpool.
I spoke to a rep from Whirlpool last year and he told me that Wirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid are are warehoused at the Missisauga location. Each brand has different quality control as well as standard and options. This reminds me of when I worked for Goodyear tire, people would come to me with Goodyears off brand tires (knowing they were made by Goodyear) and complain about quality, sighing "why is this tire so cheap, it's made by Goodyear on the same assembly line/plant", my answer was, "yes it is, but it's made as per the off brand spec's, quality, therefore it's priced less but also is built with lower quality/standards. Many people believe/have missconception........ just because it's made on the same assembly line and by the same manufacture it's the same quality, just branded differently. I've had several tours of Goodyears assembly plant and I can tell you for certain, they're not all the same quality. If they were, I wouldn't have started this thread.
thelefteyeguy wrote: have all kitchen aid...Fridge...after 1 year...boy is it noisy

dish waster is ok...but i use it only a few times a year

stove/range (no complains)
Thanks for the feedback, this is the oven we were thinking of getting. http://www.sears.ca/product/kitchenaid- ... KDRS467VSS
airmail wrote: They are all the same company

The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht and Consul. After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world."[citation needed]

Courtesy of wiiki
I understand they're the same company, that has been mentioned several times but the quality is different. I even said it "I know that they all come from the same warehouse and they may even be built on the same line but I also know from experience that they all aren't built to the same standards".
jm1 wrote: I have a Kitchenaid French door fridge (bottom freezer) and a Kenmore-branded dishwasher (rebrand of a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher). Both about 2-3 years old. Fridge has been okay, but slight issue of uneven temperatures in the fridge (back is colder than the front of the fridge compartment), but that's not that unusual. Freezer's drain plug became frozen after about a year, but that is also not unusual for bottom freezers of any make. Easy for a DIYer to fix. MSRP for the fridge was about $2,200 if you want to compare the price point vs. quality.

Dishwasher has been perfect, Is the reason you picked those brands is because you have access to an employee discount or something?
Thanks for the information, this is the fridge we were looking at. http://www.sears.ca/product/kitchenaid- ... KFIS29PBMS

Employee discount is the exact reason for choosing these brands. Pricing would be around 50% off of list and on any item they carry, all brand new, not refurbished and full warranty including free delivery. This maybe a once in a lifetime opportunity that I'm thinking of taking advantage of. I would have posted this deal on this forum but it's invitation only and my wife is getting the invitation.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4156 posts
3433 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I spoke to a rep from Whirlpool last year and he told me that Wirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid are are warehoused at the Missisauga location. Each brand has different quality control as well as standard and options. This reminds me of when I worked for Goodyear tire, people would come to me with Goodyears off brand tires (knowing they were made by Goodyear) and complain about quality, sighing "why is this tire so cheap, it's made by Goodyear on the same assembly line/plant", my answer was, "yes it is, but it's made as per the off brand spec's, quality, therefore it's priced less but also is built with lower quality/standards. Many people believe/have missconception........ just because it's made on the same assembly line and by the same manufacture it's the same quality, just branded differently. I've had several tours of Goodyears assembly plant and I can tell you for certain, they're not all the same quality. If they were, I wouldn't have started this thread.
All other things like features being somewhat equal, and keeping Consumer Reports' reliability surveys in mind, it would make sense that higher priced models use better quality parts than lower priced models. Especially since we're talking about the same manufacturer, if fridge X's MSRP is $3,000 and fridge Y's MSRP is $3,300 and the features are very similar, and since you're getting 50%, I would go for the higher priced one in hopes that it's more reliable, regardless of the brand it's sold under. If I didn't have a big discount, I would buy the cheaper one and pat myself on the back that I paid less for a comparable, more expensive one and hope that it's just as reliable.

That theory may not work 100% since marketing/brand name would account for some of a markup, but all of the three brands you mention aren't very different reputation/branding-wise IMHO. It's not like you're comparing say Toyota to Lexus, where branding accounts for a larger markup on similar things. I think the Whirlpool Corp brand differentiation is more for people who think "my last fridge was a Maytag and lasted 25 years. I'm going to buy another Maytag."
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1779 posts
769 upvotes
London
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I spoke to a rep from Whirlpool last year and he told me that Wirlpool, Maytag, Kitchenaid are are warehoused at the Missisauga location. Each brand has different quality control as well as standard and options. This reminds me of when I worked for Goodyear tire, people would come to me with Goodyears off brand tires (knowing they were made by Goodyear) and complain about quality, sighing "why is this tire so cheap, it's made by Goodyear on the same assembly line/plant", my answer was, "yes it is, but it's made as per the off brand spec's, quality, therefore it's priced less but also is built with lower quality/standards. Many people believe/have missconception........ just because it's made on the same assembly line and by the same manufacture it's the same quality, just branded differently. I've had several tours of Goodyears assembly plant and I can tell you for certain, they're not all the same quality. If they were, I wouldn't have started this thread.
It would be interesting to know if there actually is a quality difference between Maytag and Whirlpool, beyond features.
When we purchased a Maytag washer, the sales pitch suggested higher quality, but I could find nothing to substantiate it.
The warranty was a little better, but the regular price difference was higher too (except we got it during a sale when it was lower).

Companies like to play marketing games by playing all markets.
Suggest a higher quality for one product line and get all you can from those willing to pay for perceived differences.
Then have lower priced lines, which are essentially the same, to get the leftover consumers.

I would argue that there is a difference between "off-brand", as in your tire example and different products sold under the different brands of the same manufacturer.

I'll go back to my automobile reference.
One I'm familiar with (because I owned one), was Mercury Sable vs. Ford Taurus.
The Sable had a little higher "luxury" package and some minor design differences, but no quality differences vs. a Taurus.
I suspect Maytag vs. Whirlpool is much the same.

Your tire example might be something like a Canadian Tire tire, manufactured by Goodyear, compared to one sold as a Goodyear.
True quality differences there are easy to believe.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 26, 2009
625 posts
96 upvotes
Hamilton
We have a Kitchen Aid gas stove, which is wonderful. All of the rest of our kitchen appliances are Whirlpool. Dishwasher is AMAZING, best I've ever used, and it's very quiet. Our laundry pair are Maytag. Our appliances are new, so it's too soon to tell for repairs, but performance and looks are excellent.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
2706 posts
1215 upvotes
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: There was a thread with the same tittle started just over a year ago and there was no clear conclusion. I know that they all come from the same warehouse and they may even be built on the same line but I also know from experience that they all aren't built to the same standards hence my question. I was going to include Jenn Air, but I believe it maybe out of my price range.


Which ones seem to have the best quality in bottom freezer french door fridges, countertop microwaves, dishwashers, natural gas stoves, vent hood. washer & driers,
We have Kitchenaid Architect II. 3.5 years of use and no major problems. gas stove has worked flawlessly. Very easy to clean. The fridge is great. Never bothered to hook up the water line. Last week we replaced the pulley cables on the dishwasher. This is a common service issue for all of the mentioned brands (starts to creak). The repair took 15 minutes and cost 29.00 for the part. The dishwasher is not as quiet as our Miele in our old house but works well. No other repairs or problems. The venthood is great 600cfm and easy to clean. One light bulb burnt out no other issues.
Only major issue I know of with the stoves is certain models had/have an issue with the glass cracking during the self cleaning cycle.

Top