• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2021 8:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes

Kitchener-Waterloo 519 Food & Drink

Did a search and didn't find anything come up unless I overlooked it.. Let's get a K/W 519 thread going here!

Been living here a few years now in the St Jacob's area and I'd say we've got it pretty amazing out here for most things, except Indian food. We do have Indian food but the prices/portions make no sense and usually aren't particularly flavorful. A lot of oily food I've found. Samosas universally terrible.,

Our many local farm produce choices especially north of the city combined with a multitude of great butcher shops is definitely one of my absolute favorite things about living out here, though! Shopping at the Farmers Market and even directly at farms like Floralane, Martin's, Hoffman's for strawberries..

We've got some of the best beer in Canada thanks to Barncat Artisan Ales and Willibald now has an outlet St Jacob's Farmers Market. Excellent barbecue at Lancaster, and sometimes SOS and Crowsfoot as well. Still some oldschool German venues in Kitchener like the Metro. Fairly good nightlife when not being hindered by COVID in Waterloo. Seems like there's a whole Asian food scene I've barely explored as well!

Lots more comes to mind so go ahead and post some of your favorites, or new finds in the region
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
These are my favourites in Kitchener Waterloo. The food scene is SO good!
Almadina
Graffiti Market
Gols Lanzhou Noodle
Watami Sushi
Kinkaku Izakaya
Izna Donburi House
Red House
The Yeti Cafe
Ken Sushi House
Pho Dau Bo is better in Kitchener than out my way.

For fresh fish and seafood - T&J Seafood.
Check out Vincenzo's for specialty grocery items and hot food.

Plus, there's a small Shawarma place me near Laurier in a discreet plaza. I can't remember the name.

These are just a few, I will add more.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Raggie wrote: These are my favourites in Kitchener Waterloo. The food scene is SO good!
Almadina
Graffiti Market
Gols Lanzhou Noodle
Watami Sushi
Kinkaku Izakaya
Izna Donburi House
Red House
The Yeti Cafe
Ken Sushi House
Pho Dau Bo is better in Kitchener than out my way.

For fresh fish and seafood - T&J Seafood.
Check out Vincenzo's for specialty grocery items and hot food.

Plus, there's a small Shawarma place me near Laurier in a discreet plaza. I can't remember the name.

These are just a few, I will add more.
Great suggestions!

Al Madina - I'm 50/50 with them, had 1 good experience from their takeout counter located inside the St Jacobs Farmers Market. But then had 1 bad experience when I visited their takeout location. Bland, small portion, and extremely expensive. Highly possible I ordered the wrong stuff

Grafitti Market - I like it, my wife says overrated. Honestly haven't been more than once

Gol's - LOVE it, I was a regular there all the way up until COVID and then we started doing takeout during COVID and it's obviously not quite the same experience.. Will be one of the first places I re-visit when dine-in returns because I feel like ALL of their noodles need to be eaten right away or they suffer (cold, gummy, starchy)

Izna - could be wrong but it's gone, now a Korean place. Sansotei is my new go-to for Ramen

Ken Sushi - my wife is a regular, and when she goes there, I go to Bao Sandwich Bar instead! Place is awesome, I honestly don't think I've had a bad sandwich yet and I've tried a lot now. Highly recommended! I hear they are expanding as well to outside Waterloo (maybe Sauga? I forget what I read)

Vincenzo's - love the place. Hate the parking. Get so frustrated with the parking situation that it sadly stops me from going as often as I used to

Pho Dau Bo - a throwback to my life in B-Town, I didn't actually even know we had one out here

Watami, Kinzaku, Red House, Yeti Cafe, T&J - never heard of any of these, thanks for the heads up, gonna check into them now!

What's the shawarma place?! I'm a shawarma connoisseur lmao, I wonder if I've tried it. My go-to is Highland Halal, absolutely amazing gyro & falafel especially, shawarma is alright. Price is good. Two gyro's for $8 very solid lunch deal

As you said, the scene is ridiculous out here.. I've got a lot to contribute too
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
The Almadina I go to is the restaurant on Boardwalk, not St Jacob. They give alot but is much more expensive than middle Eastern food in Mississauga.

And the Izna I've been to is in Kitchener, not in Waterloo. I think they're owned by Kenzo?

I can't wait for Gols to reopen as well. I love their side dishes. I also think the noodles need to be eaten right away or they lose their texture.

I also hate the parking at Vincenzo's.

T&J is a seafood market, not a restaurant just in case you show up one day.
Last edited by Raggie on Jun 17th, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Ah I didn't know there was an Izna in Kitchener. It briefly existed for a few seasons directly beside Mel's Diner in the University plaza

AlMadina Boardwalk location is the one I visited as well when I wasn't too impressed with the food. What do you order there? I'll go again.

Mashawi is pretty good for middle eastern cooked over charcoal. No shawarma tho, just shish tawouk. Lunch special is around $11 and comes with a skewer, rice, salad
much more expensive than middle Eastern food in Mississauga.
If you want to seriously cringe check out the price of our Indian food. I've seen $15 chana masala's
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
I ordered the shawarma platter, and the shawarma wrap one time. I like the shawarma platter better, they give so much food but not enough garlic sauce.

The Izna that was beside Mel's used to be Kenzo. I think Izna and Kenzo are the same owners.

I have to try and remember the name of the shawarma place, it's a family run joint and the mom cooked our food.
Last edited by Raggie on Jun 17th, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I have to try and remember the name of the shawarma place, it's a family run joint and the mom cooked our food.
This sounds like shawerma plus, for sure.. It's a syrian family and same thing, a mother and daughter served us. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it's pricey! I should probably stop saying this
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't think it's shawarma plus. Now I have to try and look for it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I don't think it's shawarma plus. Now I have to try and look for it.
Interesting! Because the mother & daughter serving is the exact same situation at the small shawerma plus location (not the huge fancy modern one in the University plaza -- there are two). I am super interested.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
duckdown wrote: Interesting! Because the mother & daughter serving is the exact same situation at the small shawerma plus location (not the huge fancy modern one in the University plaza -- there are two). I am super interested.
Actually I think you're right. Bi just asked my daughter, and she said it's besides Phil's. So I googled it and Shawarma Plus popped up.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Yup, sounded almost TOO coincidental once you said the whole mother serving the food thing. I think it's almost part of their image at this point since she's always there when I've gone as well

Definitely nice people and good food, it was just too pricey to make it a common stop
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Spotted this today across the street from the Freshii/Smokes/Hot Star plaza at King &

https://www.facebook.com/SandWitchy.ca/

Not sure if its in the old Burrito Boyz space, possibly is

edit - i think it took over the Shawarma Royale
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Penny's Hot Chicken is open as of a week or two ago but I just finally got around to trying it recently.. Super tasty stuff. Did not get the sandwich since I don't like chicken thighs that much but the tenders were fantastic. The spicy dredged ones have a strong cayenne pepper flavor, and I chose honey as the dip. Batter held up extremely well even through the drive home. Waffle fries are a nice touch. Awesome addition to the area.

https://www.pennyshotchicken.com/

Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
MoMo Japanese Restaurant. Same menu and location as Izna on University, so I'm guessing they're the same owners (Kenzo).

Onnuri Village in the same plaza (we have one in Mississauga).

Yi Fang in the T&T plaza. They're also in Scarborough. Love their drinks.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2269 posts
1064 upvotes
Waterloo
Nice thread! There's also a Food in the Waterloo Region facebook group that's a lot more active.

Recommend trying out Nostra Cucina in Kitchener if you're ever looking for a yummy sandwich. Hole in the wall place in industrial part of Kitchener, but all of their food is delicious. My go to is "The Love Hot Loaded" - a veal parm loaded with hot peppers. It's great!
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
Raggie wrote: MoMo Japanese Restaurant. Same menu and location as Izna on University, so I'm guessing they're the same owners (Kenzo).
Yep, I noticed Izna has been replaced. If it's same owners as Kenzo that's extremely promising IMO
Onnuri Village in the same plaza (we have one in Mississauga).
Yi Fang in the T&T plaza. They're also in Scarborough. Love their drinks.
Spotted this there multiple times too. What is it? And what's to try? Both
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17960 posts
989 upvotes
cadave wrote: Nice thread! There's also a Food in the Waterloo Region facebook group that's a lot more active.
Thank you!! That Facebook group sucks lately. Nothing but people fighting about politics and whatever else outrages them for the day. God forbid you mention Chick-Fil-A that's about to open.
Recommend trying out Nostra Cucina in Kitchener if you're ever looking for a yummy sandwich. Hole in the wall place in industrial part of Kitchener, but all of their food is delicious. My go to is "The Love Hot Loaded" - a veal parm loaded with hot peppers. It's great!
I've never been -- and these are my favorite kinds of suggestions. I'll be visiting ASAP, especially since I'm Italian. Anything else worth trying?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
2269 posts
1064 upvotes
Waterloo
duckdown wrote: I've never been -- and these are my favorite kinds of suggestions. I'll be visiting ASAP, especially since I'm Italian. Anything else worth trying?
They also have an amazing muffuletta but I always cave for the love.
Congratulations!
Today is YOUR day.
You're off to great places!
You're off and away!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8694 posts
2612 upvotes
Mississauga
duckdown wrote: Yep, I noticed Izna has been replaced. If it's same owners as Kenzo that's extremely promising IMO

Spotted this there multiple times too. What is it? And what's to try? Both
Onnuri Village is a Korean resto. Had their Bibimbap and Jyajamung, and Bulgogi. I heard their fried chicken is good (haven't tried). There's. KFC in the next plaza over that I need to try (can't remember the name).