Hot Deals

[Kits.ca] FREE Pair of Eyeglasses - Just Pay $9.95 Shipping!

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 5:47 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1180 posts
917 upvotes
TORONTO
Prescription too high and had to choose the 1.67 lenses which costs 99$..... damn... too much video game finally backfired.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
4465 posts
886 upvotes
Toronto
So when are they going to have progressive/bifocal lens available?
Jan 4, 2008
420 posts
143 upvotes
Mississauga
Found my old prescription, but they didnt include the PD on it. Luckily I had a transparent ruler, so hopefully those numbers are right. Dont need real strong glasses, so hopefully if I'm off by 2 or 3mm it's not the end of the world.

Never knew that glasses had measurements on them. Thanks to this thread, it made things much easier.

But I'm wondering about the length. Many seem to be 140mm and so on. Mine are 145mm. Would being off by 5mm lead to a bad fit? 5mm sounds minuscule, but who knows.
Last edited by dxbender on Oct 18th, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 24, 2020
32 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
xsea1525 wrote: My lenses alone cost around $300, will I still qualify for these "free" ones?
You'll have to pay extra because they will force you get the thin lens which costs an extra 99$ I think if I remember correctly.

I'm -5.75 so no 10$ glasses for me :(

Also some places won't tell you your PD unless you buy glasses from them. It's pretty scummy, they know that you'll try to order online.

I ordered a pair online and measured my own PD incorrectly. (I entered 70) Had terrible headaches while wearing the glasses.
Found my PD to be actually 66 and now I can wear the glasses consistently.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2002
1461 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone who gets prescriptions with no PD distance, go back and ask them to measure it for you. It should be something they do for you for free.
................\ \ | / /................
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====

Pizza Reviews
Jun 30, 2009
247 posts
128 upvotes
Zero wrote: Anyone who gets prescriptions with no PD distance, go back and ask them to measure it for you. It should be something they do for you for free.
Doubt anyone will give it to you. It's not part of the exam in Ontario.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2002
1461 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
santafe wrote: Doubt anyone will give it to you. It's not part of the exam in Ontario.
It's always been on my prescription when I go to my Optometrist. If not, find a better Optometrist who doesn't scam you, because it literally takes them like 5 seconds to measure it for you.
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====

Pizza Reviews
Jun 30, 2009
247 posts
128 upvotes
Zero wrote: It's always been on my prescription when I go to my Optometrist. If not, find a better Optometrist who doesn't scam you, because it literally takes them like 5 seconds to measure it for you.
It's not a scam. It should be taken every time you order glasses. If you buy glasses, today, the Optician or Optometrist you are buying from should take the measurement. If you buy glasses 6 months later with that prescription, they should remeasure it (it's irrelevant that they measured it 6 months before). The issue is that when you are buying glasses online, there is no one standing besides you ready to take the measurement.

If your Optometrist is giving it to you, that's fine and dandy. You just need to be aware that it is not part of the exam in Ontario and they can refuse. I would hope that they take more than 5 seconds to measure it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7104 posts
1166 upvotes
Toronto
santafe wrote: It's not a scam. It should be taken every time you order glasses. If you buy glasses, today, the Optician or Optometrist you are buying from should take the measurement. If you buy glasses 6 months later with that prescription, they should remeasure it (it's irrelevant that they measured it 6 months before). The issue is that when you are buying glasses online, there is no one standing besides you ready to take the measurement.

If your Optometrist is giving it to you, that's fine and dandy. You just need to be aware that it is not part of the exam in Ontario and they can refuse. I would hope that they take more than 5 seconds to measure it.
Any optician can do it too. Don't need an appointment with an optometrist.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2002
1461 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
Inno wrote: Any optician can do it too. Don't need an appointment with an optometrist.
Yup, you can even do it yourself, but I wouldn't recommend that. It literally takes them no time at all to measure it.
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====

Pizza Reviews
Jan 4, 2008
420 posts
143 upvotes
Mississauga
If you're off by 2mm or so, is it really so bad with the PD?

I'm sure people dont exactly want to go book an appointment for something like that right now. And glasses will be sold out by then.

I've tried so many times with my ruler and get about the same number every time, and with glasses which aren't overly strong (-1.5 for the most part on my sph and cyl), I'm hoping even if I'm off by 2mm or so, it won't impact me. Dont wear them for more than 30 mins at a time anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2002
1461 posts
642 upvotes
Toronto
dxbender wrote: If you're off by 2mm or so, is it really so bad with the PD?

I'm sure people dont exactly want to go book an appointment for something like that right now. And glasses will be sold out by then.

I've tried so many times with my ruler and get about the same number every time, and with glasses which aren't overly strong (-1.5 for the most part on my sph and cyl), I'm hoping even if I'm off by 2mm or so, it won't impact me. Dont wear them for more than 30 mins at a time anyways.
Have someone else measure it for you then, to confirm your measurements if you must. It should be as accurate as possible, if your off by a bit you might get headaches and shit from having incorrect glasses for your eyes.
(o o)
====oOOo=(_)=oOOo====

Pizza Reviews
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1769 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
For measuring PD, I tried manual and also found free app eye measure on iOS that measure PD for you.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1785 posts
325 upvotes
Lévis
fatestkid wrote: No, I don't. I usually estimate based on previous pairs and it doesn't always work out ordering online. My head is quite large and I'd day 4 out of the 8-10 I ordered online worked out for me. When I go to a store I have to try 15-20 pairs just to find 2 or 3 that fit me.
Funny because I have a similar problem. I need somewhat narrow glasses and there's very little choice. Funniest is I don't even have a very narrow face, but still, and a lot of peoples have the same problem.

Like Zeitaku said, you have to reallly know what your numbers are. That being said, it's not miraculous. Did you tried Zenni frameless glasses? Because, to my knowledge, zenni is the only company you don't have to use the default lenses with frameless glasses. They have a large choice.
Pourquoi pas?