Knob and Tube Wiring

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2019 9:49 am
Nov 9, 2009
704 posts
136 upvotes
East York

Knob and Tube Wiring

Recently purchased an older house in Toronto (approx 1300 sqft total - 2 story)

The home inspection report says we may have over 50% knob and tube wiring. The service entrance requires a panel and mast upgrade. Main disconnect requires a combination breaker panel.

Roughly how much would this project cost (just assuming would have to re-wire the whole house)?

Is it worth it to upgrade to 200amp to future proof (purchase an electric car)?

Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions for reasonably priced trustworthy electricians?
15 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
connected wrote: Recently purchased an older house in Toronto (approx 1300 sqft total - 2 story)

The home inspection report says we may have over 50% knob and tube wiring. The service entrance requires a panel and mast upgrade. Main disconnect requires a combination breaker panel.

Roughly how much would this project cost (just assuming would have to re-wire the whole house)?

Thanks!

Don't know any electricans out there, but you need to talk to one to get an actual estimate. For our house (a 1400 sq ft 1.5 story home), the quote we were given was around $10k. That did NOT include any repair work after the electrical was done. So we ended up gutting the house (since the insulation was wood chips) and re-doing the electrical and plumbing as part of the renovation. We did the demo ourselves, I did the electrical myself (parts were around $3500) as well as the insulating and vapor barrier, hired a plumber for the wet stuff, and hired drywallers for the finishing.

The $10k also did not include any panel or mast upgrades.

C
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
I don't think you are REQUIRED to do anything unless your insurance tells you they won't insure you, but they may raise your rates.
It could easily be $20-30k+ to do the work, including tearing up the walls and putting them back. Depends on how many outlets, how easy access is, etc.
Last edited by engineered on Apr 10th, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: Don't know any electricans out there, but you need to talk to one to get an actual estimate. For our house (a 1400 sq ft 1.5 story home), the quote we were given was around $10k. That did NOT include any repair work after the electrical was done. So we ended up gutting the house (since the insulation was wood chips) and re-doing the electrical and plumbing as part of the renovation. We did the demo ourselves, I did the electrical myself (parts were around $3500) as well as the insulating and vapor barrier, hired a plumber for the wet stuff, and hired drywallers for the finishing.

The $10k also did not include any panel or mast upgrades.

C
Probably x2 any estimate from Edmonton to the GTA. Too much demand here and not enough trades.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
We did a similar job about 5 years ago, smaller house, Toronto. Back then it was $180-190 per existing outlet, switch or fixture and more than that for a new dedicated line on its own circuit if we wanted them. 100 amp panel was done a couple years prior for approximately $1500-2000, can't remember. Mast was not needed. Patching was included in the final cost at only $300! The guys said it was a flat rate and sometimes the drywall guy who they subcontract wins one and sometimes he loses one. In our case, he lost one because there were dozens of patches needed. He tried to get us to hire him to paint afterward, I think that's part of his ideal where he can make his money back if he gets the paint job work.

Just call in a bunch of quotes. We were happy with the work we got from AC Electrical. Nice guys, tidy and fast. If you want some advice, get 10% more outlets installed than you think you'll need. Not a week goes by that I am cursing because I didn't get more or put them in more convenient locations.
Mar 30, 2006
412 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto
connected wrote: Recently purchased an older house in Toronto (approx 1300 sqft total - 2 story)

Thanks!

Since you have to replace mast it maybe worth it to go for 200A. It is not a big difference.

As for knob and tube replacement, it's hard to say, but $10 doesn't sound unreasonable.
Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1291 posts
1787 upvotes
Toronto

Thanks!

We had this done back in 2010, same size house. It cost us just under $6K for everything, including the patch up. It seems like a scary job at the onset, but once you find the right contractor it isnt so bad.

And it will pay for itself over time, as insurance is much lower with K&T.

We stayed with 100A, and got a new panel in this. We havent had anything trip, so dont miss the 200A. In our case we use NG for stove, hot water, and heating (except the basement and a washroom), plus dont have an electric car :-).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
Budget at least $15k it'll be a whole re-wiring.

Plan for $22k because you say older home in Toronto which generally reveals something else.
Nov 9, 2009
704 posts
136 upvotes
East York
Thanks for all the advice!

Now I have to start a thread about roofing....

The joys of home ownership lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Budget $20-25k for a job done correctly.

Within that, keep in mind you'll need someone to patch A LOT of holes. You'll also have to repaint the entire house.

The paint and plaster will end up costing close to what the electrician bill will be.
Let's hug it out
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote: Budget $20-25k for a job done correctly.

Within that, keep in mind you'll need someone to patch A LOT of holes. You'll also have to repaint the entire house.

The paint and plaster will end up costing close to what the electrician bill will be.
Are you Mike Holmes? No way this job would cost 25K.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
hoponpop wrote: Are you Mike Holmes? No way this job would cost 25K.
200amp, arc fault breakers, plugs & lights to current code

PLUS paster all holes seamlessly, repair/replace trim/crown and have someone paint the entire house ('cause have fun matching whatever color is there).

Good luck getting all that done under $20k in Toronto
Let's hug it out
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
budwizestest wrote: We had this done back in 2010, same size house. It cost us just under $6K for everything, including the patch up. It seems like a scary job at the onset, but once you find the right contractor it isnt so bad.

And it will pay for itself over time, as insurance is much lower with K&T.

We stayed with 100A, and got a new panel in this. We havent had anything trip, so dont miss the 200A. In our case we use NG for stove, hot water, and heating (except the basement and a washroom), plus dont have an electric car :-).
Your price seems to be exceptionally good, even considering it was almost 10 years ago. Materials alone (for just the electrical) were 3 to 3.5k, and I didn’t have to replace a panel. This was 3 years ago now...

C
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
connected wrote:
the upgraded service would cost you extra in monthly bills.
Maximum current capacity of your electrical panel – Your home's electrical panel can likely withstand the draw of either 100 or 200 amps of electrical current. Charging at 17.2 kW of power on a 240 volt circuit may require a home electrical panel upgrade to 400-amp service.
https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tes ... onomously/

So unless your purchase is imminent I wouldn't do it. the car charge circuit would be a dedicated circuit running to garage anyways. So you can upgrade when you get it.
----
Pay it forward.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote: 200amp, arc fault breakers, plugs & lights to current code

PLUS paster all holes seamlessly, repair/replace trim/crown and have someone paint the entire house ('cause have fun matching whatever color is there).

Good luck getting all that done under $20k in Toronto
I don't believe that the OP asked for quotes to paint an entire house. Nor did he necessarily say he needed crown and trim replaced. I didn't when we rewired our whole house. A decent electrician will be careful and conscious to not destroy 100 year old moulding and minimize wall damage. We had very few "new" holes made. Most lines were fished through existing holes. Why don't you add an interior designer's fees while you're at it?

Not everybody needs the HGTV standard gut/reno job to make themselves happy.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1291 posts
1787 upvotes
Toronto
hoponpop wrote: I don't believe that the OP asked for quotes to paint an entire house. Nor did he necessarily say he needed crown and trim replaced. I didn't when we rewired our whole house. A decent electrician will be careful and conscious to not destroy 100 year old moulding and minimize wall damage. We had very few "new" holes made. Most lines were fished through existing holes. Why don't you add an interior designer's fees while you're at it?

Not everybody needs the HGTV standard gut/reno job to make themselves happy.
This which you said.

I can, maybe, see a contractor who is not good and doesn't care about clients going around the house knocking everything down. But that wasnt our experience, anyone with even a bit of experience would know how to minimize any damage by fishing wires through well though out and planned small holes. We didnt have any issues at our place with crown and trim damage, except four small holes in one room on the ceiling plaster where there was no other way to get to the light. Even those were patched up well and barely noticebale, even though i didnt paint them :-)...

Remember the enemy of good, and perfect doesnt exist.