Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes

Knowledgeable people on Insurance claims for the Home

Hi guys, coming here for help yet again!

OK, we all pay for House insurance, we know they make a fortune, we have been paying into it for like 30 years, we don't have that much money to throw around and we have problems. So what does it cover, and how many people take advantage of it?

We had a leak in the walls, from a main water pipe that resulted in it dripping through the roof into the bathroom below, ruining the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom, the bathroom upstairs it ruined the flooring making the wood rot (there is literally a hole) and it got so deep downstairs it traveled into the carpet downstairs also.

I know people will say it depends which insurance you have, I think? Its my parents house, so I'll have to ask ... but I think we have a premium type of house insurance which covers quite a few things. I know that insurance companies will likely try to stop you from claiming things, so I was wondering if anyone here has experience making these sort of claims or have tips on how to do it, what to say, what not to say, or if its just a waste of time and not covered?

Either way, let me know, respectfully... thank you. Just seems like if you pay into something for over 30+ years and you have something that goes wrong you'd expect at least a bit of help...
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4341 posts
561 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Best advice is call your agent...

This would be covered on a regular policy..everyone policy is a bit different, you make it to suit your needs and lifestyle ( can make it lower premium if claim but pay higher price, you can have sewer back in case sewer backs up and causes damage, etc... )

Now you state HAD....., and rot and HOLE in floor, which if I'm reading correctly means at one time in past you had issue and now seeing the concequences. Being that its after the issue ( and water line fixed ) you maybe limited on claim damage ( unless its within a certain time frame and can provide receipts for water pipe repair ) Insurance will help a bit if its after the fact but not as much, as at the time, they would had sent in a person to asses damage, and go go pretty thorough, basically anything that can mold ( drywall, couches, wood in contact with water, ect ) are thrown out and added to claim, so a simple water line leak could cause as you see 10-15k in damage very easily.

My sister had an upstairs bathroom pipe break( waited a 1/2 day before getting wtaer turned off as she didn't knwo how and was waiting on a plumber ), it was around a 24k claim, as ceiling underneath had to be all replaced, furniture damage, hardwood floor water damaged and then the water got into finished basement. A freind of mine had a dishwasher hose break, caused 9k damage in basement ( we estimated 1-2 k ) but insurance wanted 3 feet drywall removed from top water level ( they used a special meter and pushed in drywall and where no moisture measured from there, so hole basement had to get bottom 1/2 drywall replaced. The only special insurance both them had was hotel accomodations if house unhabital...you bet after these 2 close people with claims I added to my policy and upped amounts in other areas.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
The insurance agent will be the one to ask.
I have had "flooding" in my home and it caused damage to the walls, floor and carpeting. The agent contacted the insurance company and they sent over a clean up crew right away. They sent over a plumber to fix the issue as well. When clean up was done they assessed the damage and got their contractor to come and fix it.
Your description of the damage sounds to me like you have had the problem for a long time or that the problem occurred a long time ago and now the floor is rotting? Is this a correct reading of your story?
Or, this is something that happened now?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: The insurance agent will be the one to ask.
I have had "flooding" in my home and it caused damage to the walls, floor and carpeting. The agent contacted the insurance company and they sent over a clean up crew right away. They sent over a plumber to fix the issue as well. When clean up was done they assessed the damage and got their contractor to come and fix it.
Your description of the damage sounds to me like you have had the problem for a long time or that the problem occurred a long time ago and now the floor is rotting? Is this a correct reading of your story?
Or, this is something that happened now?
You're correct, it seems like its a "slow" leak... I am not an expert but I finally noticed that I could hear the drip drip through the wall the other day... somehow the leak got downstairs too, but we didn't actually know where the water was coming from but I think I might have an idea now...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes
theguyz wrote: Best advice is call your agent...

This would be covered on a regular policy..everyone policy is a bit different, you make it to suit your needs and lifestyle ( can make it lower premium if claim but pay higher price, you can have sewer back in case sewer backs up and causes damage, etc... )

Now you state HAD....., and rot and HOLE in floor, which if I'm reading correctly means at one time in past you had issue and now seeing the concequences. Being that its after the issue ( and water line fixed ) you maybe limited on claim damage ( unless its within a certain time frame and can provide receipts for water pipe repair ) Insurance will help a bit if its after the fact but not as much, as at the time, they would had sent in a person to asses damage, and go go pretty thorough, basically anything that can mold ( drywall, couches, wood in contact with water, ect ) are thrown out and added to claim, so a simple water line leak could cause as you see 10-15k in damage very easily.

My sister had an upstairs bathroom pipe break( waited a 1/2 day before getting wtaer turned off as she didn't knwo how and was waiting on a plumber ), it was around a 24k claim, as ceiling underneath had to be all replaced, furniture damage, hardwood floor water damaged and then the water got into finished basement. A freind of mine had a dishwasher hose break, caused 9k damage in basement ( we estimated 1-2 k ) but insurance wanted 3 feet drywall removed from top water level ( they used a special meter and pushed in drywall and where no moisture measured from there, so hole basement had to get bottom 1/2 drywall replaced. The only special insurance both them had was hotel accomodations if house unhabital...you bet after these 2 close people with claims I added to my policy and upped amounts in other areas.
I'm sorry maybe I was not clear enough...

OK -- we noticed the leaking downstairs before, in the downstairs bathroom and it ruined all the walls. Part of this leakage, at least came from the side of the tub somehow, I guess because there wasn't enough silicone on the edges of the tub? But, there also seems to be a leak very close to the tub, too, inside the wall... which would drip down to the downstairs bathroom also. So I am not sure which one caused it, but the carpet smells moldy downstairs beside the bathroom now, too. The slow leak, near the tub, seems to have caused the floor to rot and there is a hole in it now. It seems to be a very slow leak, but damaging leak... its somewhere in the wall in one of the pipes.

It would be VERY HELPFUL if insurance covered some of this, I just dont want them to ding me somehow and have me explain it wrong and them be like "AH HA" caught you, and then not help me at all ... so thats why I was trying to get advice here... if possible
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes
We have not had a plumber come fix it because honestly thought it would be very expensive, but honestly, by the time we noticed the leak, the damage was done... the hole in the floor is sort of behind the toilet, so we didn't notice it gradually eating away at the floor. The walls, just eventually started leaking through, again, very slowly and gradually. We have known for awhile, but the damage seems to be nearly the same as it was by the time we noticed if you know what I mean.

There may be multiple leaks. My father, opened the wall and saw a very slow dripping leak, I think he thought he fixed it then closed it back up. But I can hear another leak in the wall when I turn on the water, farther away from the previous leak. I dont know, its a big mess, its a pretty slow leak either way, but like I said, the damage was gradual to the point where you dont really notice it until the damage was done. When I say we have "known" we dont actually REALLY KNOW FOR SURE where the leak is exactly, we think we know where one is but we aren't experts you know... we didn't know where the leak was initially for sure, like the damage was done then we were looking for the leak...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
2766 posts
280 upvotes
And by agent do you mean the insurance company?

Is it not in their best interest to like say "no no no we cant help with that"? Will they actually try to help? That'd surprise me...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36249 posts
10403 upvotes
Ottawa
vorthex wrote: And by agent do you mean the insurance company?

Is it not in their best interest to like say "no no no we cant help with that"? Will they actually try to help? That'd surprise me...
If you bought the insurance from an agent, then call them. If you tried to save money (which you didn't because agents don't get paid by you, they get commission form the insurance company), then you need to call the company.
Having said that, if you knew there was a problem, tried to fix it but failed and more damage was caused by improper repairs, you will probably not be covered. If you call the company and have them come and look and they choose not to, then you have reported a problem and damage, it will be on their records and nothing that happens in that area will ever be covered.
I sounds like you caused your own problems and at the very least, exasperated the problem and made it worse. You may be SOL.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16886 posts
7179 upvotes
vorthex wrote: And by agent do you mean the insurance company?

It's an ignorant myth that insurance companies are out to "scam" you. Your policy provides the terms and conditions of what you are covered for, and insurance is a heavily regulated industry so it is in THEIR best interests to ensure you get what you have paid for. I have had to make several claims, and they have been nothing but helpful. For example, my home insurance paid to reshingle a 40 year old shed (with 40 year old shingles - might even be older), where the shingles blow off a couple every year. Why? Because it hailed and damaged the shingles on my house, so it obviously damaged them to some extent as well.

You pay for insurance and you are entitled to what you are paying for. They are helpful and will walk you through the claim. Most of the problems arise from people assuming they are covered for something they are not. Such as people who want to be paid for the loss of value of their vehicle when in an accident, yet this is something they do not pay for and their policy states is not covered. Or from someone that thinks their 1993 Nissan Maxima is somehow worth $5000 because there are only 17 left in Canada now.