Shopping Discussion

Known locations in GTA to sell bridesmaid dress?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 24th, 2021 10:56 pm
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
174 posts
133 upvotes
Scarborough

Known locations in GTA to sell bridesmaid dress?

I will not be wearing my dress again. I live in Toronto. I'm looking to sell it properly--not Kijiji, ebay, or Facebook Marketplace. What are your recommendations?
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24173 posts
12216 upvotes
Toronto
I think you'll get your recommendation, but I think your sale is going to suffer by not trying to sell it on your own. If you don't have time / can't be bothered, I get it, but you can also set the parameters of the sale. Weekends only, evenings only, purchase on sight (no try ons).

Good luck!

Bound to be something on Queen St IMO, downtown Toronto
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22803 posts
21637 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Selling on your own … means you’ll as @DaVibe says be able to set the parameters
Even if that’s on Kijiji, EBay, FB Marketplace etc

There are probably higher end Consignment Shops that would gladly take it

But they take a rapidly increasing cut off the top
Which in the long run means less money for you

It’s more hassle … but I think DIY is the way to go

Post good pics of it
Maybe even you in it from the Wedding
Just crop out any faces
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
24173 posts
12216 upvotes
Toronto
Fashionably Yours Designer Consignment Boutique
Address: 707 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1E6
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 p.m.
Health and safety: Mask required · Staff wear masks · Staff required to disinfect surfaces between visits · More details
Phone: (647) 802-9687
Province: Ontario

Like this
RedFlagDeals Addict - 2008 Nominee for Most Helpful User
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
Typically consignment shops sell at 40% of retail and you get 40% of that, which means 16% net. Consider if you will do better on your own or if it is worth the premium to get rid of it quickly. A lot of consignment shops will not take dresses that look obviously "bridesmaid-y" because they are not suitable for other occasions & brides often want their bridesmaids to match.
[OP]
Aug 31, 2012
174 posts
133 upvotes
Scarborough
I have a really pretty Le Château dress I wore a wedding and university graduation. More versatile than the bridesmaid dress. But I can't get it to sell for even $20 on Facebook Marketplace. This is why I've been looking for alternatives to DIY.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1085 posts
514 upvotes
lecale wrote: Typically consignment shops sell at 40% of retail and you get 40% of that, which means 16% net. Consider if you will do better on your own or if it is worth the premium to get rid of it quickly. A lot of consignment shops will not take dresses that look obviously "bridesmaid-y" because they are not suitable for other occasions & brides often want their bridesmaids to match.
I always thought consignment shops will only take well known/big brand clothes. Any cheaper brands will not get you more than $5 regardless of its original price and condition (even new with tag). Normally they will buy a huge bag of clothes from you for maybe $10-20?

sorry OP, Le Château or bridesmaid dress without brand name will probably not get you anything over $5 from consignment shops
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1365 posts
891 upvotes
Karmella wrote: Le Château dress
This is your issue.. Try poshmark.ca, $2.95 fee for items listed <$15, 20% fee >$15. Good luck.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
jjesskaka wrote: I always thought consignment shops will only take well known/big brand clothes. Any cheaper brands will not get you more than $5 regardless of its original price and condition (even new with tag). Normally they will buy a huge bag of clothes from you for maybe $10-20?

sorry OP, Le Château or bridesmaid dress without brand name will probably not get you anything over $5 from consignment shops
Yes, has to be top brands. In my experience they will not cash you out right away & not take clothing by the bag - they are selective. They ask you the value, they put it on the rack for 40% of that, and you only get 40% of that when it sells (unless you have to do the walk of shame & take it back).
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2015
1004 posts
1093 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Karmella wrote: I have a really pretty Le Château dress I wore a wedding and university graduation. More versatile than the bridesmaid dress. But I can't get it to sell for even $20 on Facebook Marketplace. This is why I've been looking for alternatives to DIY.
If you can't even get $20 for it, then why don't you just donate it?

Surely, the effort to sell a non-designer cheap dress isn't worth the time for a few bucks.