Expired Hot Deals

[Knowroaming.com] Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2018 9:10 am
Jul 15, 2003
507 posts
Shoot, well we had a good run I guess.

I still have another unopened KnowRoaming SIM that I was going to use, but I guess I can't use that any more!
Mar 12, 2007
715 posts
Me too (but, not that "me too" LOL). One unopened SIM is still sitting in my drawer. It's been over 90 days.
Mar 17, 2008
93 posts
Nigel wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:39 pm
I guess they are just not making enough money with customers like you freeagent. Now they are going to lose even more money cause their over priced sim cards wont sell anymore either.
Hopefully I was not their typical customer! I used about $20 in calls/data in first year.

I don't use cell phone much anyway even when at home. I used to get an AT&T Gophone each time we came to USA. We spend 3 months here. It cost us $25 for 90 days. I would also get Speakout in Canada for rest of year. Never used much of the $25 it cost. So, K-R may still be best match for us at $25 every 9 months and it works everywhere in Canada and USA.
But I hate the Callback "feature" that is only way to get lower cost calls in Canada.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
1446 posts
Oh well, it was always too good to be true. I bought the SIM on promo, but I didn't recommend it to any family members because I figured it was likely to end abruptly at any time.
Oct 19, 2007
972 posts
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Just sent them a nasty email about the change, and will remove the sticker from my SIM card. Never used their service either (was keeping it just in case) but unhappy that I had to pay for it...
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2003
4705 posts
They are going to go downhill really fast from here. What a shame!
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Sep 30, 2015
11 posts
1 upvote
York, ON
I purchased the sim sticker and received it on January 6, and used about $3 most of which is whatsapp. I emailed them and asked for a refund and cancel my account. This is a fraud.
Sep 23, 2005
391 posts
krist8 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:13 pm
I purchased the sim sticker and received it on January 6, and used about $3 most of which is whatsapp. I emailed them and asked for a refund and cancel my account. This is a fraud.
They back charged you for WhatsApp usage? Or did you use $3 worth since Feb 14? Wow. I have 31MB of data usage since Feb 8 all with $0.00 charges but that will change fast. My credit I have left will go pretty fast now.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1401 posts
Nigel wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:05 pm
Not that it matters anymore cause it sounds like your trips already over but when you went to the new areas did you re-enter the apn or just assume it was still there since you did it once in the USA and you were good?
I know that I checked the APN settings in Puerto Rico, St. Maarten, and Antigua and they were set to KnowRoaming. I know that when you enter a new area, the APN settings on your phone sometimes automatically change.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Apr 11, 2012
209 posts
They should have followed Chatsim business idea and sell this features for 40.00 per year. Most of the people wouldn't mind paying for unlimited messaging features for that price tag.
Mar 5, 2006
682 posts
jaggu2001 wrote:
Feb 15th, 2018 8:38 am
They should have followed Chatsim business idea and sell this features for 40.00 per year. Most of the people wouldn't mind paying for unlimited messaging features for that price tag.
Only from what others have reports, depending on where you are the reception is spotty.
So if they made you pay for the whatsapp service, and it not work is worse than paying for another service, and throwing this in as extra that might or might not work all the time.

Either way, as with all of these unlimited lifetime deals, there's always a bit of gamble in it.
Guess now I don't need to periodically use these sims to keep my accounts alive.
Nov 5, 2009
36 posts
I recently ordered 2 sim stickers for my wife and I in January for our trip to Dominican Republic. Whatsapp worked eventually for an hour and then stopped working for the rest of the trip. Couldn't get the other phone to connect at all, no matter what I tried. I planned on using one with a data plan in Japan and one just for whatsapp next month. Guess that was a waste of $30.
May 24, 2014
175 posts
Dartmouth, NS
For those of you who are now looking for an alternative, check out KeepGo. I can't say for sure yet they're a good service here in Canada (I ordered two days ago and am awaiting for their SIM in the mail), but you can buy a SIM for $41.65 USD ($49 USD before using coupon code KEEPGO_15_OFF) with free shipping and 1 GB of data that doesn't expire for a year.

After that, the top-ups are (in USD):
500 MB for $19 (= 3.8c per MB)
1 GB for $35 (= 3.5c per MB)
3 GB for $85 (= 2.8c per MB)
5 GB for $119 (= 2.4c per MB)
10 GB for $219 (= 2.2c per MB)

All top-ups don't expire for one year.

So the country you're in won't matter either, because you buy actual data, so the rate stays the same. You're just using up the data in 1 KB increments. Also, they use Bell, Rogers, AND Telus towers here, so you get whichever is the strongest signal (and it's all 4G/LTE).

I realize that this doesn't appear to be the cheapest deal for the GB you get vs $$$, but it seems to be the most flexible to keep costs low while still maintaining a bit of data.

So the 1GB with the SIM translates into about 5.3c CAD per MB, and if you top up with another 1 GB after the first one expires or runs out, it's about 4.4c CAD per MB.

Know Roaming is 15c USD (or about 19c CAD) per MB in Canada (not sure about other countries), so it's definitely a much better deal to get KeepGo here.

As for conserving data, you can try an app called NetGuard (at least, for Android... I think iPhone lets you turn off data completely for individual apps) that lets you blacklist all apps for data and whitelist only the ones you want. Currently, in Android, you can only stop apps from background usage (only by tapping on every single one on your app list and turning off the background data usage toggle), but if you open an app to use offline that uses ads, or open another app accidentally, it will use your data. If you're rooted, you can use AFWall+ instead. And for a browser, try TextBrowser in the PlayStore. You can browse for kB at a time with it. :)

As for contacting people, if you don't want to use WhatsApp anymore, I find Fongo pretty reliable and uses very little data. About 10 KB per text message and 0.5 MB per minute phone call. You can get a Canadian phone # and unlimited calling and receiving texts. If you want to send texts out, the cheapest is $10 every 6 months. They do have a monthly option for under $3 a month.

If you don't care what kind of phone number you get, Google Hangouts/Voice uses very little data. But if you want to receive calls and use their texting feature, you'll need an Amerifriend. Using a VPN or a VoIP American number for verification will no longer work. It sends you in an endless verification loop.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)