Expired Hot Deals

[Knowroaming.com] Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2018 10:44 am
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1514 posts
634 upvotes
I purchased KnowRoaming SIM in December 2017 for travel in Feb 2018 to the USA and multiple Caribbean countries. I loaded $25 into my account so that I could use some data and the free WhatsApp.

Here are my results:
  • New York, USA: Works as advertised. Successfully connected to the AT&T network with good speeds
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico: Barely works. I probably only managed to use 1MB of data because data connectivity was so slow. GMail would only load the subject line of emails but not the content of the emails.
  • St. Maarten: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • Antigua: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • St. Lucia: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • Barbados: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • St. Kitts: Did not work. No service. No data.
The KnowRoaming website indicates that these Caribbean countries should have worked. I entered the correct APN settings because it worked in USA.

Overall, I would not recommend KnowRoaming. For the Caribbean countries that I visited, I should have just bought a pre-paid SIM from the local cell provider company called "Flow". It would have given me coverage for all of those islands.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
May 19, 2017
208 posts
85 upvotes
kennyt18 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:23 pm
I purchased KnowRoaming SIM in December 2017 for travel in Feb 2018 to the USA and multiple Caribbean countries. I loaded $25 into my account so that I could use some data and the free WhatsApp.

Here are my results:
  • New York, USA: Works as advertised. Successfully connected to the AT&T network with good speeds
  • San Juan, Puerto Rico: Barely works. I probably only managed to use 1MB of data because data connectivity was so slow. GMail would only load the subject line of emails but not the content of the emails.
  • St. Maarten: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • Antigua: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • St. Lucia: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • Barbados: Did not work. No service. No data.
  • St. Kitts: Did not work. No service. No data.
The KnowRoaming website indicates that these Caribbean countries should have worked. I entered the correct APN settings because it worked in USA.

Overall, I would not recommend KnowRoaming. For the Caribbean countries that I visited, I should have just bought a pre-paid SIM from the local cell provider company called "Flow". It would have given me coverage for all of those islands.
Thanks for the data point. Very useful.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1061 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
Poster here is saying that free whatsapp is coming to an end (or the deal is being restricted due to excessive usage/"abuse") Bummer if true, I only got this like a month ago Disappointed Face
threehappypenguins wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:23 pm
Also, there is a 100MB per day "fair use" policy for using WhatsApp. Which is fine. But there is a serious downside. Changes are coming. I noticed on their website, it said, "Enjoy free bonus WhatsApp data usage for a period of 30 days with any account credit purchased in-app." I just got off the phone with a Canadian rep and he said that they're about to send out emails to all their customers to inform them that WhatsApp is only going to be free for 30 days after a top-up. After that, WhatsApp usage goes against their data usage. Bummer.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Aug 22, 2001
811 posts
277 upvotes
Vancouver
ssiu wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 4:38 pm
Poster here is saying that free whatsapp is coming to an end (or the deal is being restricted due to excessive usage/"abuse") Bummer if true, I only got this like a month ago Disappointed Face
That would really suck. What's the cheapest amount of in-app purchase to keep WhatsApp running for 30 days?
Sep 30, 2015
20 posts
1 upvote
York, ON
I got the sim sticker about 1 month ago. Altho I do not use it much. But, if I use data to pay for parking meter, would the use of data count as in app purchase?
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1521 posts
247 upvotes
Just some data point:
Never loaded any money into the account, went travel aborad spanning from December to January, Whatsapp messaging worked in Bali and Hong Kong. No push notifications as expected. Only got 3G most of the time, so never bothered to try voip call.
Nov 19, 2017
381 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
Nigel wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:32 pm
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. Know roaming just pulled their free whatsapp access effective today.

https://support.knowroaming.com/support ... pp-feature

I'll bet their over priced SIM chip sales plummet overnight.
Key facts:

"Beginning on the first day of the new policy announcement, February 14, 2018, all registered KnowRoaming customers carrying a prepaid credit balance in their KnowRoaming account will be given 30 calendar days of bonus WhatsApp data usage."

"Any free credit vouchers applied to the account, including the free $10 credit received with the Global SIM Sticker, do not provide bonus WhatsApp data usage."

"KnowRoaming reserves the right to block usage of this feature within a customer’s home country."
Jan 24, 2014
136 posts
23 upvotes
Noooooo they should keep the whatsapp but keep the text only and get rid. Of the mms portion.... This was so useful for travelling!!
Oct 7, 2011
92 posts
47 upvotes
Vancouver
Nooo Just got the email. Was about to use 2 of them at the end of this month for my trip :(
Sep 23, 2005
422 posts
56 upvotes
Calgary
You still get free whatsapp data usage still......... as long as you add credit for their overpriced rates every 30 days.

I'm done with them. I wonder how long until they claw back all those phone numbers too? Right now I have a travel phone with the whatsapp number on knowroamings phone number and I guess I can still use it as Wi-Fi only till I lose the assigned phone number.
Jan 24, 2014
136 posts
23 upvotes
Nigel wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 6:50 pm
You still get free whatsapp data usage still......... as long as you add credit for their overpriced rates every 30 days.

I'm done with them. I wonder how long until they claw back all those phone numbers too? Right now I have a travel phone with the whatsapp number on knowroamings phone number and I guess I can still use it as Wi-Fi only till I lose the assigned phone number.
Even if you add credit minimum $25
Nov 19, 2017
381 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
In addition, they added a new credit expiry term.

"Account Credit Expiry Term
All prepaid credit and unused data packages will expire nine (9) months after the last prepaid credit purchase, unless otherwise stated. Any prepaid credit balance and unused data packages remaining in the account will expire if the customer does not make another prepaid credit purchase for a period of nine months. KnowRoaming allows a grace period of seven calendar days following the credit expiration date in order to purchase more credit and retain the prepaid balance and unused data packages."