• May 9th, 2018 10:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes

KnowRoaming is killing the free Whatsapp deal

Email just received from KnowRoaming:

In order to continue offering our bonus WhatsApp promotion to our growing customer base, we have updated the eligibility requirements. This promotion is designed as a bonus for active customers using KnowRoaming services and will no longer be available for customers who have not loaded credit onto their account.

At this time, your account does not meet the eligibility requirements, so you will not be able to access this promotion. In order to qualify for this promotion, you can simply load credit onto your account in the KnowRoaming app by selecting “Tap to Reload” and following the prompts. Once you have loaded credit onto your account, this promotion will automatically reactivate within 48 hours. Following this, you will be able to enjoy 30 days of free bonus WhatsApp usage each time you load credit. Read full details here.

Your account credit can be used for data and voice services. In addition to our per MB data rates, we offer a range of unlimited and fixed data packages designed to suit your needs. Please find all the available packages in the KnowRoaming app > Services > Packages.

If you have any questions, our 24/7 Support Team is always happy to help at info@knowroaming.com or a number that is local to you.

Sincerely,

The KnowRoaming Team
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4576 posts
1937 upvotes
GTA
One of my coworkers is going to flip, he uses whatsapp for all his calls and messages. Is there a minimum balance you have to keep? Can't you just keep like $5 in the account and keep using whatsapp?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2787 upvotes
shabby wrote: One of my coworkers is going to flip, he uses whatsapp for all his calls and messages. Is there a minimum balance you have to keep? Can't you just keep like $5 in the account and keep using whatsapp?
No, the free Whatsapp expires every 30 days now if you don't top up the KnowRoaming account, and they also published another update to the terms that any unused credit expires now.

Minimum credit top-up is US$25, and KnowRoaming rates are not particularly cheap. KnowRoaming is basically dead as a deal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2005
5155 posts
2102 upvotes
it was good while it lasted. used it in Africa and Bermuda relatively successfully.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2055 posts
458 upvotes
shabby wrote: One of my coworkers is going to flip, he uses whatsapp for all his calls and messages. Is there a minimum balance you have to keep? Can't you just keep like $5 in the account and keep using whatsapp?
There is always data leakage. The $5 won't last long. I guess I'm throwing out my sim soon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Exp315 wrote: Email just received from KnowRoaming:

In order to continue offering our bonus WhatsApp promotion to our growing customer base, we have updated the eligibility requirements. This promotion is designed as a bonus for active customers using KnowRoaming services and will no longer be available for customers who have not loaded credit onto their account.

At this time, your account does not meet the eligibility requirements, so you will not be able to access this promotion. In order to qualify for this promotion, you can simply load credit onto your account in the KnowRoaming app by selecting “Tap to Reload” and following the prompts. Once you have loaded credit onto your account, this promotion will automatically reactivate within 48 hours. Following this, you will be able to enjoy 30 days of free bonus WhatsApp usage each time you load credit. Read full details here.

Your account credit can be used for data and voice services. In addition to our per MB data rates, we offer a range of unlimited and fixed data packages designed to suit your needs. Please find all the available packages in the KnowRoaming app > Services > Packages.

If you have any questions, our 24/7 Support Team is always happy to help at info@knowroaming.com or a number that is local to you.

Sincerely,

The KnowRoaming Team
I can only say that the competition is cut throat and profit is little if any at all.
Some will just disappear. At least KnowRoaming is still fighting
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
What a waste of money getting their SIM cards.

What’s next?

Deactivate the SIM card after 6 months like Roam Mobility???
Jul 25, 2005
109 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
Do they mention when service is cutting off? Ill be needing a new cheap international sim soon
Thanks
Jan 21, 2017
362 posts
238 upvotes
I ordered a SIM from them a day or two before the change was announced. I still have not received my SIM yet. I'm going on a cruise on Feb. 25th. I'm suppose to get a $5 credit with the SIM card. If it works for the week I'm on the cruise, I'll be happy as this was intended to be a one time use anyways. But question is, will I still be able to use it for free with Whatsapp with the included $5 credit?
May 12, 2014
208 posts
72 upvotes
Brampton, ON
After Knowroaming WhatsApp is over, Is there any other similar cheap alternative? Any suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Lukus2017 wrote: I ordered a SIM from them a day or two before the change was announced. I still have not received my SIM yet. I'm going on a cruise on Feb. 25th. I'm suppose to get a $5 credit with the SIM card. If it works for the week I'm on the cruise, I'll be happy as this was intended to be a one time use anyways. But question is, will I still be able to use it for free with Whatsapp with the included $5 credit?
Any info from you on its use ( I suppose you are back )? Or is the SIM dead?
Daniel

Jan 21, 2017
362 posts
238 upvotes
danieltoronto wrote: Any info from you on its use ( I suppose you are back )? Or is the SIM dead?
I never opened the package. Girlfriend changed plan with Rogers and it just was less of a hassle to pay $6 a day in the US and $12 in Mexico. We didn't need to use our phone every day so we used it 2 or 3 days only so cost wise it wasn't a huge difference with KnowRoaming but more practical. I will be returning the SIM to KnowRoaming for a refund.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5493 posts
2305 upvotes
Shame on them! I wish I could return 2 sim cards I purchased just after chrismass
Didn't even open them yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7747 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
No wonder they sent me a bunch of SiMs when i ordered 1 last time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
ppl4golf wrote: What a waste of money getting their SIM cards.What’s next?Deactivate the SIM card after 6 months like Roam Mobility???
The SIM of Roam Mobility only expires after 12 months of non-use. 6 months deactivation only applied for very brief period
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
spankypants wrote: Any suggestions of a simlar alternative?
Whatever substitute it is, it still has to deal with the key questions: "Is the business format viable at all? Will advertisements pay for its persisting in this market?"
I think the business format sucks and clients buying SIMs just ask for trouble going blindly for the free stuff.
Daniel