• Oct 16th, 2018 4:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1354 posts
267 upvotes
Mimico

[KnowRoaming] New policy - now sucks?

As long as an account is in good standing with at least $5 (USD) in credit, we will not place limitations on the user’s ability to access our network. Should an account’s credit balance fall below this threshold, we may limit access to data services until the account is topped up.
All prepaid credit and unused data packages will expire nine (9) months after the last prepaid credit purchase, unless otherwise stated. Any prepaid credit balance and unused data packages remaining in the account will expire if the customer does not make another prepaid credit purchase for a period of nine months.
Generally, we place no limitations on accounts drawing less than 250 MB per day. However, we reserve the right to scale access speed for individual accounts down to 2G (128 kbps) speeds once the user’s daily usage significantly exceeds the average on our network or begins to impact the ability of other customers to access data services.
Limited WhatsApp data usage is zero-rated for a period of 30 calendar days following the date of an account credit purchase in the KnowRoaming app. After the 30-day period has elapsed, customers can purchase more prepaid account credit in the KnowRoaming app to continue to enjoy bonus WhatsApp data usage. Otherwise WhatsApp data usage will be deducted from the customer’s prepaid account balance if there is no new account credit purchased in the KnowRoaming app following the 30-day period.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2256 posts
536 upvotes
Halton
$5 per month but no limitation for 250MB?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1354 posts
267 upvotes
Mimico
Fire wrote: $5 per month but no limitation for 250MB?
Except there's no way to top up for just 5$. It's minimum 25$.
Jan 6, 2014
2 posts
MAPLE
Knowroaming sucks. Lost my credit balance because of the new policy. The only way to keep my balance is to top up with more money. Total bs. Will never use them again.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7475 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
This is just horrible.

Any ground for CRTC complaints ?
Oct 14, 2018
1 posts
Totally agree. Lost all my balance and when I contacted them, their answer was we sent you an e-mail. I could not find that email, neither could my sisters or my aunt! There was no notification in my account either which Inchecked before I travelled, found out it was zero when I landed. And it is not in y junk e-mail, mind you I got all their other marketing e-mails! Will look for other providers, using XFINITY Mobile is actually cheaper or same price as knowroaming according to my friend and just as easy to use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1354 posts
267 upvotes
Mimico
I just lost all my balance as well, and they didn't even want to do anything about it.

I'd recommend KeepGo for now - much cheaper too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8899 posts
1538 upvotes
I emailed them letting them know their roaming charges are not that much better and their new policy stinks. Never heard from them after that.

I think their mistake from the beginning was to offer unlimited WhatsApp usage without requiring people to top up first. This gave the customer the feeling of a great deal but it would inevitably suck once they start charging. Their second mistake is the minimum top up is 25 dollars USD. I’d like to top up 5 or 10 bucks but they do not have that option. They don’t even allow you to just pay directly for the package you want. You need to add money first to the account and then from the account balance, you purchase their packages. Often or not, I’d have a balance leftover because I topped up to spend like 10 bucks for a data package. That leaves me with 15 bucks on account and it drains automatically when data is leaked. If I could just pay 10 bucks directly to have the 10 dollar data package activated. That would be ideal.

Their third mistake is they reduce and take away perks as it grows instead of providing consistent, if not better plans.

The 4th mistake is their 9 month expiry period. I’m sorry but not everyone can afford to travel every 9 months or less. With balances left over from the 25$ top up min, you’re bound to have it expire before you can use it again.

The whole concept, policies and process doesn’t make a lot of sense.

These are just my personal take on their policies and for all I know, KR works well for other people.

I’ll still keep KR as an option when I travel but I’d keep an eye out for cheaper options.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2013
1354 posts
267 upvotes
Mimico
I'm recommending KeepGo for now. Way cheaper and longer expiries.