Computers & Electronics

Kobo Claris HD vs Kindle Paperwhite 2018 - which would you recommend?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 20th, 2018 3:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3247 posts
1740 upvotes
Calgary

Kobo Claris HD vs Kindle Paperwhite 2018 - which would you recommend?

Got into some webnovels recently (mainly eng translated wuxia stuff) & while the phone is doable, I'm thinking I should step up to a device thats designed for it. Both devices are priced similarly as of now @$120 or so for the 8gb model. Which of the above would the gurus' recommended?
7 replies
Mar 11, 2011
813 posts
290 upvotes
Toronto
Both are fine devices and you'd be happy reading on either one. I own a Kobo and prefer it because it uses the more universal epub format. With the Kindle, you are trapped in the Amazon ecosystem. It will only read Amazon's format. With the Kobo, you can borrow ebooks from the public library too (because they use epub format).
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
18471 posts
26486 upvotes
ONTARIO
I definitely go with Kindle. I love mine.

Get a Kindle and then utilize the amazing program called Calibre. Basically any format of book you drop into Calibre you can convert to MOBI (which the Kindle can read).
Kindle also allows you to email books, so you can email your books directly from within Calibre.

I don't think I've connected my Kindle to my PC in years. I just download my books online, drop them into calibre where they auto convert to MOBI and then I use the built in email feature to send them to my Kindle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3247 posts
1740 upvotes
Calgary
46jimbo wrote: Both are fine devices and you'd be happy reading on either one. I own a Kobo and prefer it because it uses the more universal epub format. With the Kindle, you are trapped in the Amazon ecosystem. It will only read Amazon's format. With the Kobo, you can borrow ebooks from the public library too (because they use epub format).
tru dat. epub is what I mostly have & is the more likely format that I'll be using. thats why I'm wracking my brain deciding which way to go.
BobSagget wrote: I definitely go with Kindle. I love mine.

Get a Kindle and then utilize the amazing program called Calibre. Basically any format of book you drop into Calibre you can convert to MOBI (which the Kindle can read).
Kindle also allows you to email books, so you can email your books directly from within Calibre.

I don't think I've connected my Kindle to my PC in years. I just download my books online, drop them into calibre where they auto convert to MOBI and then I use the built in email feature to send them to my Kindle.
how's Calibre's convertion? as a general rule, I find converted files have formatting flaw/s.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2781 upvotes
scotsum wrote: how's Calibre's convertion? as a general rule, I find converted files have formatting flaw/s.
Calibre's conversion works either way, to epub for Kobo or to mobi for Kindle. There are occasional minor formatting errors, but less often these days, and nothing too serious on ebooks that are mostly plain text.

You don't need much memory - 4 Gbytes is ample for hundreds of ebooks.

The user interface is fine with either one, although they keep fiddling with the design. But when you're actually reading a book, the controls are pretty simple and basic with either one.

The main things to look for are those that make reading easier:

1. A bigger screen is better. It's surprising how much easier it is to read on a 7" screen than a 6" screen.

2. Better display contrast and resolution helps, but since both Kobo and Kindle get their eInk screens from the same manufacturer, it's more a matter of generation than brand.

3. Of course you want a built-in screen light, and you'll notice if the lighting is uneven when reading in low light, but the screen lighting is often supplied as an integral package with the eInk display, so again comes from the same manufacturer.

4. Lighter weight and a comfortable shape helps when you are holding it for a long time while reading. Keep in mind that the a light weight may mean sacrifice on the battery capacity, although it's still going to be measured in weeks, not hours.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4055 posts
669 upvotes
Toronto
If you at all foresee borrowing e-books from your public library, go with Kobo -- especially since the Clara HD has seamless Overdrive integration (your borrowed books will appear magically on your Kobo).

If you are going to buy a lot of e-books from Amazon.com, go with Kindle.
Sep 8, 2007
410 posts
185 upvotes
Clara HD has a night mode light for reading. i.e. orange light instead of the blue/white light. Supposedly easier on the eyes and helps you sleep better than reading with regular backlight. not a big deal if you don't read in bed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
3247 posts
1740 upvotes
Calgary
I went with the Kobo Clara HD for easy ePub compatibility, built in overdrive but most of all, there's a London Drug's giftcard offer of $100 + free $20 = 20% additional discount. all in all, the Kodo cost me $100 so I'm pretty stoked.

Thanks for all the input guys Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes