• Apr 21st, 2021 9:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3604 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto

[Kobo eBooks] Neil Stephenson: Baroque Cycle $2.99; Kindle too

This is a 3 ebooks in 1 collection (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The system of the World). (I have these in hard cover: three fat volumes.)

This is a fictional romp through history, illustrating the invention of banking and world-spanning trade by ocean. Lots of historical figures set in interesting situations. It's pretty hard to tell whether some events are historical or fictional. Published in 2003 and 2004.

Stephenson is one of my favourite science fiction authors. This set is best for quick readers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baroque_Cycle

@j0yb0y notes that Kindle now has it too https://www.amazon.ca/Baroque-Cycle-Qui ... B00KVIBWPI
Last edited by Hugh on Apr 21st, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Feb 13, 2008
411 posts
242 upvotes
Hamilton
Great book. It is so well written you begin to distrust your own knowledge of what is historical and what is fiction. Brings a bunch of the historical characters alive.
Jun 4, 2007
491 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
A quick read.....really...each book is like 700+ pages...hahaha and they are really well worded vs a simple read like most the King pulp.

This is a great price...I have all the first edition hard covers.

Stephenson and Gibson are my fav authors, can't wait for The Peripheral to come out on Amazon Prime.
Sep 25, 2007
99 posts
42 upvotes
GTA
Amazing series. For any who haven’t yet read Stephenson’s work, you’re in for a treat. One of my favourites. Felt truly invested in it, and wished it was far longer.
Jun 4, 2007
491 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
And not to mention one of the most interesting characters in a set of novels spanning generations..."Enoch Root".

Stephenson novels are LONG but so satisfying reading.
Cryptonomicon is my favorite and it really starts this series.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3604 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
g00f wrote: Stephenson novels are LONG but so satisfying reading.
He's famous for not quite knowing how to end them
Cryptonomicon is my favorite and it really starts this series.
At the time Cryptonomicon came out, my mismanager (that was the title he claimed) marched me to a bookstore to get it. He had helped Stephenson understand crypto and is credited in the book.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2433 posts
700 upvotes
Lévis
Slash5 wrote: Great book. It is so well written you begin to distrust your own knowledge of what is historical and what is fiction. Brings a bunch of the historical characters alive.
That makes me think of Michael Crichton books, namely Timeline.
Pourquoi pas?
Nov 17, 2016
195 posts
142 upvotes
Is it the same kind of fiction as Stephen King's 11/22/63?