Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo $35/5GB or $40/8GB - Public Mobile Migration plus $180 bill credit

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 3:13 pm
Oct 16, 2012
124 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
chillychin wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:01 pm
I am currently on the Koodo $60/10GB plan and am quite tempted to buy a PM SIM card and activate service just to see what is offered next round.

Anyone else with the Koodo $60/10GB plan thinking the same? Or should I just stick with my current plan
I'm on the 40/6gb and thinking of getting a pm plan in hopes of getting 8gb. So yeah I'm kinda with you on that. Or pay someone 100 for their activation number and collect on tge 180 credit so you're not losing 100$
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1871 posts
1249 upvotes
Ottawa
Pottertons wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:04 pm
Well, it looks like I'm sticking with PM for the foreseeable.

After finally getting the text for the promo I went to Koodo to make the switch.
Now, it needs to mentioned that my ONLY reason for taking advantage of this offer is because I need a new device. So it was quite a shock to me when I was informed that the offer is only available with a BYOD.
Which means that the offer of 5GB for $35/mth or 8GB for $40/mth with $180 in bill credits, unlimited Canada-Wide calling etc, is all completely void if you want a new device to go with that.

The equivalent plan that Koodo offers is ....wait for it.......
A staggering $95/mth. Oh, and you only get 500 minutes of Canada-wide calling with that. Unlimited will run you an additional $5/mth. So we may as well call it a flat $100/mth just to get the same as what's offered for $40/mth with the text promo. Astonished Face

Oh, and we haven't even added a device yet. For a Samusung Galaxy S9, it would've been and additional $35 (I think, definitely within that ballpark anyway) per month which totals a WHOPPING $135/mth.........+tax.

I did go to Freedom who's offer was MILES better, but my Credit rating wasn't good enough for approval. It's been about 5 years since I last got a phone and I don't recall having to do a credit check back then.
For those who have switched, does Koodo require a credit check? Is this the norm now?

I think I'll stick around and try to save that $95 on a wkly or bi-wkly basis and just buy the device outright.
spotts01 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:09 pm
Lots of people signed up at Walmart/WOW onto these promo plans and got new phones complete with gift card bonuses. Just read a few pages here. This promo allows for medium plan.
Yeah, the promo is absolutely available for small and medium tab. I signed up at Walmart on the weekend and got the S9 - here's a breakdown of all the costs:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/fido-ho ... #p29742367
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Nov 23, 2010
987 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
Tazuwan wrote:
Being polite/friendly can get you more places than being pushy/demanding I find. The call centre reps are all probably sick of dealing with this. Try addressing the rep by their name and being generally polite/friendly, I think you'd be surprised how many strings they're willing to pull for you then.
I second this

I can understand why sometimes a customer can be frustrated, and may come across with a negative attitude. But honestly, coming into any situation with a negative attitude adds zero value.

On the other hand, if a customer was actually polite, told the CSR "look, Im frustrated about XYZ, is there anything that can be done" - Then this is a good situation where both parties are mutually trying to work towards a solution together.

I dont get why people got to come in guns hot and rude in so many other situations
Jan 27, 2007
579 posts
413 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:13 pm
Ah, okay... that was the part I wasn't understanding, so thank you. So she'll still use her PM sim and number while the card is in transit, but her Koodo account with just have a temp number and be active until transferring the current number.
Yes, because if you choose new number during sign up, it might trigger a check by Koodo team since this promo is for moving customers from PM to Koodo. So, choosing port will not trigger anything, and you can do whatever you want after receiving the sim with temp number. Also, don't forget to register for a referral BEFORE you order, then complete the final step of the referral process AFTER you finish porting.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1106 posts
935 upvotes
GTA
Pottertons wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:04 pm
Well, it looks like I'm sticking with PM for the foreseeable.

After finally getting the text for the promo I went to Koodo to make the switch.
Now, it needs to mentioned that my ONLY reason for taking advantage of this offer is because I need a new device. So it was quite a shock to me when I was informed that the offer is only available with a BYOD.
Which means that the offer of 5GB for $35/mth or 8GB for $40/mth with $180 in bill credits, unlimited Canada-Wide calling etc, is all completely void if you want a new device to go with that.

The equivalent plan that Koodo offers is ....wait for it.......
A staggering $95/mth. Oh, and you only get 500 minutes of Canada-wide calling with that. Unlimited will run you an additional $5/mth. So we may as well call it a flat $100/mth just to get the same as what's offered for $40/mth with the text promo. Astonished Face

Oh, and we haven't even added a device yet. For a Samusung Galaxy S9, it would've been and additional $35 (I think, definitely within that ballpark anyway) per month which totals a WHOPPING $135/mth.........+tax.

I did go to Freedom who's offer was MILES better, but my Credit rating wasn't good enough for approval. It's been about 5 years since I last got a phone and I don't recall having to do a credit check back then.
For those who have switched, does Koodo require a credit check? Is this the norm now?

I think I'll stick around and try to save that $95 on a wkly or bi-wkly basis and just buy the device outright.
How much are you paying on your PM plan?
Dec 14, 2009
89 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver
Managed to switch over from the last $40/6GB to 8GB just now, spoke with Marvin from retention. Good luck to anyone else trying!
Dec 21, 2009
264 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
spotts01 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 2:58 pm
You should make the change to the $10 plan now, or at least a workable 30 day plan if you are on a 90 day plan. I don't think you will get the SIM by the 30th. You will not forfeit or cancel any eligibility by switching plans now after ordering your SIM.

If you do get to activate and port before the 30, you will not be charged for the plan switch because your account will be closed. As an extra precautionary step, turn off auto-pay now. You will not be able to log into your PM account once it closes. It shouldn't be a problem, but just better pice of mind.
great I will do that.

for anyone else who ordered, what is your average ship time for the sim?
May 22, 2007
874 posts
111 upvotes
Tazuwan wrote:
Being polite/friendly can get you more places than being pushy/demanding I find. The call centre reps are all probably sick of dealing with this. Try addressing the rep by their name and being generally polite/friendly, I think you'd be surprised how many strings they're willing to pull for you then.
I tried being nice, but still no go. Did you just ask them straight up about getting the promo?
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1066 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
BrianL10369 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 2:44 pm
Tried calling in 3 times today to switch from 45/8gb to 40/gb but got rejected all three times. Guess its time to give up.
One guy took 5 tries before getting it. Keep trying!
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1166 posts
468 upvotes
qyrus wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
Managed to switch over from the last $40/6GB to 8GB just now, spoke with Marvin from retention. Good luck to anyone else trying!
Is this Koodo to Koodo or PM to Koodo?
May 22, 2007
874 posts
111 upvotes
qyrus wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:30 pm
Congrats! Marvin from the support team? or is there a retention team? What was your approach to asking?
Oct 16, 2010
526 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
Guys don’t be persistent on switching the plan.
Position it as $40 for 8gb.
They will add the 2gb add-on for $0 and it never expires.

If the support rep is not able to add then request for the supervisor. Let them know you’re disappointed but love the Koodo service and would appreciate the 8gb as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1216 posts
886 upvotes
spotts01 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:11 pm
Select Port Number. You will still get a temp number so you don't lose service while SIM is in transit. Once you get the SIM, you can then login and transfer the number yourself, or call in.
What's the difference if you pick the new number option?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1106 posts
935 upvotes
GTA
Deevusone wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 3:34 pm
I tried being nice, but still no go. Did you just ask them straight up about getting the promo?
Just keep trying. Make sure you occupy yourself while you're on hold. That way you don't waste time and it doesn't feel like a loss if you're denied.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8180 posts
3279 upvotes
Markham
pazivai wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 2:22 pm
Its not only Koodo, none of the TELCOs offer anything good for existing customers. They take the existing ones granted. At best, they instruct their retention dept to give small incentives to those who threatens to leave by calling in.
Not just telcos, in other industries like banks too. Simply indication that there isn't enough competition, despite what the what the execs want you to believe.