Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo $35/5GB or $40/8GB - Public Mobile Migration plus $180 bill credit

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 2:12 pm
Dec 16, 2012
375 posts
381 upvotes
Calgary
pazivai wrote: No doubt, did you get the activation email? There is a link for self serve. I think you have already registered for the self-serve, as you are mentioning confusing. Yes, it is, links 2 sites, and many many options. I had been using for 4 years now, still not sure without visually seeing it
Didn't receive any activation email :(

Got an email stating the SIM card was mailed out yesterday, received it today...however, pure paper weight at this point as I cannot activate it
😁
Jun 30, 2013
621 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
globalize9 wrote: Didn't receive any activation email :(

Got an email stating the SIM card was mailed out yesterday, received it today...however, pure paper weight at this point as I cannot activate it
You need to wait for activation mail, which gives your temp phone #, account #. Then it is activated and you can start using, without even registering for self serve.
I only response to real deals, otherwise I am blank
Self Referral Tips for Koodo - Click here...
Edited by the RFD Moderation Team due to the 4 line limit
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32192 posts
18041 upvotes
Ottawa
globalize9 wrote: Didn't receive any activation email :(

I got my simcard today and received 1of2 email, in which the first email is the "Koodo device activation confirmation".
The second email will be a link to setup self serve.
Dec 16, 2012
375 posts
381 upvotes
Calgary
pazivai wrote: You need to wait for activation mail, which gives your temp phone #, account #. Then it is activated and you can start using, without even registering for self serve.
Any clue on how long that takes?

I am surprised at how complicated Koodo's self serve is vs Public Mobile's.......
😁
Jun 30, 2013
621 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
globalize9 wrote: Any clue on how long that takes?

I am surprised at how complicated Koodo's self serve is vs Public Mobile's.......
Usually 24 hours, may be 48 hours max from receiving the sim. Last three weeks were crazier time for all in terms of keeping with time table
I only response to real deals, otherwise I am blank
Self Referral Tips for Koodo - Click here...
Edited by the RFD Moderation Team due to the 4 line limit
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1117 posts
484 upvotes
expiredyogurt wrote: when is this promo ending? I'm waiting for the next one so i can port back to koodo. pm network is so spotty. i just hope there is nothing better that comes along during christmas cause i would be so mad if it does....
No,confirmed date sept 27 is what was told to me by a store rep when I asked last day to come in.

Pm network is the same as Koodo and Telus and bell. Do you mean freedom network is spotty?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1209 posts
1190 upvotes
GTA
torontokris wrote: No,confirmed date sept 27 is what was told to me by a store rep when I asked last day to come in.

Pm network is the same as Koodo and Telus and bell. Do you mean freedom network is spotty?
I had a problem with PM reception as well. Its definitely not on the same level as Koodo and Telus.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1847 posts
1338 upvotes
Toronto
Slono wrote: I had a problem with PM reception as well. Its definitely not on the same level as Koodo and Telus.
Same network but different priorities based on provider.

Telus customers will get the best service.
Followed by Koodo
And lastly PM.

The big 3 always preach you'll get less quality service when you switch to a "cheaper" carrier and it's true to a certain extent but to 99% of ppl won't notice so it does not matter.

Always big difference in terms of speed but we're talking north of 50-100Mbps so to 99% of ppl it does not matter. As long as you can stream your song and browse the web your good and no one notices since it does not effect them.

I also did notice on my Koodo lines that there's always a second or two delay when placing a call. On my Telus line it's instant. But again it's something that most ppl don't notice so it's not an issue.

T-Mobile in the states is known for network prioritization, and although carriers in Canada don't openly admit it, they do have it, and for good reason. When your in a congested area and the network is being used to capacity, the towers have to decide who's calls to let through in what order.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19319 posts
7427 upvotes
Toronto
BengaliPrince wrote: Same network but different priorities based on provider.

Followed by Koodo
And lastly PM.

The big 3 always preach you'll get less quality service when you switch to a "cheaper" carrier and it's true to a certain extent but to 99% of ppl won't notice so it does not matter.

Always big difference in terms of speed but we're talking north of 50-100Mbps so to 99% of ppl it does not matter. As long as you can stream your song and browse the web your good and no one notices since it does not effect them.

I also did notice on my Koodo lines that there's always a second or two delay when placing a call. On my Telus line it's instant. But again it's something that most ppl don't notice so it's not an issue
I will agree that Telus probably has the highest customer service rep to customer ratio and they will target a certain performance for customer interactions. Of course there is the network of stores in malls with large square footage of emptiness. For that you get to pay a lot more on the monthly fees.

I refuse to believe that when connected to the network the Koodo service is any different than the Telus service. This one or two second delay that you are apparently noticing is probably more confirmation bias than real. At work, the company phones are sourced from the tier 1 brand. The employees use tier 2 and 3. I cannot tell the difference between a work phone and a personal phone.

I checked my screen shots folder and found a screen cap of a speed test I did a while back. I got 165/19. If Public Mobile service is being neutered in favor of Telus and Koodo customers, I still get it pretty good.
Last edited by will888 on Sep 12th, 2018 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19319 posts
7427 upvotes
Toronto
Slono wrote: I had a problem with PM reception as well. Its definitely not on the same level as Koodo and Telus.
So what you are saying is if you are a Public Mobile customer, certain towers will be off limits and only Telus customer can connect or every tower has 3 sets of signals, the weak one for Public Mobile and strongest for Telus. This is not Goldilocks and the three bears.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1219 posts
1347 upvotes
koodo and publicmobile service has been relatively the same for me.
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
Might also be the device. Being in a part of Calgary where the reception is horrible specifically to Telus towers (due to hills/ridges), device compatibility makes a massive difference. I had PM for 2 years, they use the exact same towers.

However, different placed towers by Rogers means they have better signal in my neighborhood, even though reception overall in Alberta sucks in comparison.

Some phones, especially some of the ones ordered overseas here on RFD, don't pick up on the lower frequency signals that have better penetration, resulting in signal loss by the most marginal obstruction, such as vegetation or houses.
Last edited by TaurusJudge on Sep 12th, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best deals:
Feb 29, 2012
252 posts
74 upvotes
BengaliPrince wrote: Same network but different priorities based on provider.

Followed by Koodo
And lastly PM.

I also did notice on my Koodo lines that there's always a second or two delay when placing a call. On my Telus line it's instant. But again it's something that most ppl don't notice so it's not an issue.

T-Mobile in the states is known for network prioritization, and although carriers in Canada don't openly admit it, they do have it, and for good reason. When your in a congested area and the network is being used to capacity, the towers have to decide who's calls to let through in what order.
That's why on my plan that includes American roaming, I prefer using AT&T (allows both them and TMobile)
Dec 11, 2009
167 posts
65 upvotes
New Westminster
My work phone is on Telus network. My personal phone is on Koodo. Both handsets are iPhone 7’s. I can’t perceive any difference in performance.

I will say that Wifi calling is a game changer. In some parts of my building I only get one or two bars of service. That’s when wifi calling kicks in. For that reason I would be reluctant to switch to Public Mobile, which doesn’t have wifi calling yet.