Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo $35/5GB or $40/8GB - Public Mobile Migration plus $180 bill credit

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 2:12 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1083 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Question for anyone that ported in store. How do they verify your PM plan? Say I had the $10 plan from PM, couldn't I just show them I am on Public Mobile at the top of my screen and give them the account number and create a fake text message? Do they use the actual phone number when they put in the promo code in store or is it a special code that they can use anytime?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4934 posts
1290 upvotes
Toronto
Excellent thank you for filling in the missing piece for me.
cappaj wrote: They try to make you port the PM number that qualifies for the offer - like you said, that's the whole point. In fact, if you sign up in store they'll ask you to show the text offer on your phone and then make you port right then and there.

People get around that by signing up online instead. Koodo sends you a SIM with a temporary number by mail and their systems will let you activate without porting, once the SIM arrives. Then when the temp number is active, you can choose to port in any number you want - e.g. your current Rogers number.
Oct 11, 2017
121 posts
77 upvotes
Vancouver
yes, they use actual phone as validation code and port that number as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2014 posts
1332 upvotes
Ottawa
alkaint wrote: Question for anyone that ported in store. How do they verify your PM plan? Say I had the $10 plan from PM, couldn't I just show them I am on Public Mobile at the top of my screen and give them the account number and create a fake text message? Do they use the actual phone number when they put in the promo code in store or is it a special code that they can use anytime?
If I remember correctly - they use your phone number to validate just like online. And they make you port the number right there - they ask to see your driver's license and get your PM account number to make sure you actually own the number before porting it.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1083 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cappaj wrote: If I remember correctly - they use your phone number to validate just like online. And they make you port the number right there - they ask to see your driver's license and get your PM account number to make sure you actually own the number before porting it.
But from what I read is that people's who's numbers were used online could still be used in store so I wasnt sure they use the number in store to validate just to Port I think.
Jun 18, 2015
423 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fightbriz wrote: So basically for someone not on PM, the only way of getting this (hopefully) is to signup for PM now on a $40 plan (not any other $10 or $25 plan), and hopefully you'll get it one day...
no. thats not the only way. you can buy a promo phone number.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3266 posts
2455 upvotes
No Bum Deals
kav2001c wrote: I just wonder what they keep flagging for
Once flagged always on radar.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
Jun 30, 2013
621 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
fightbriz wrote: I did read the thread summary of this massive thread..

So basically for someone not on PM, the only way of getting this (hopefully) is to signup for PM now on a $40 plan (not any other $10 or $25 plan), and hopefully you'll get it one day...

I have a question though, let's say I'm currently on a good plan at Rogers (not nearly as good though).. So I don't want to port over to PM (and lose the Rogers plan) and wait to get this deal. If I were to open a new number/line at PM, and give the plan to a family member to use in the meantime while waiting, if the PM line does become eligible for a similar Koodo offer, is there any way to port my current Rogers number over into the Koodo deal instead of the PM number (which was only created to be eligible)? Or maybe some other way, like port the PM number into the Koodo offer like normal, and then once that's up and running, port my Rogers number into the Koodo plan? Actually, can you even do that, port a number into a plan that already has a number (what happens to that number, does it just get deleted?)
You are almost correct, on the process and future plan. However, Robbers - having a good plan, we must define "Good". Sorry, my keyboard autocorrects Robbers as robbers, again ????? I cannot write that vendors name, it's Robbers, isn't it? Oh no, my keyboard still auto-correcting. my bad. :)
I only response to real deals, otherwise I am blank
Self Referral Tips for Koodo - Click here...
Edited by the RFD Moderation Team due to the 4 line limit
Jun 30, 2013
621 posts
261 upvotes
GTA
alkaint wrote: But from what I read is that people's who's numbers were used online could still be used in store so I wasnt sure they use the number in store to validate just to Port I think.
that number, which one was used in online as well as in store, the time window up to the web activation is a gap period, if you order online and that migration is activated, the store will get 'used' notification if they try to use it.

SO, till you get an activation e-mail, if ordered online, still can redo in store, but in that case while web-store will try to activate, they will see that it has been already activated in-store.

Anyways, its a no-go for duplication, my be some time window in between 2x go efforts, that's all
I only response to real deals, otherwise I am blank
Self Referral Tips for Koodo - Click here...
Edited by the RFD Moderation Team due to the 4 line limit
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1083 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto, ON
pazivai wrote: that number, which one was used in online as well as in store, the time window up to the web activation is a gap period, if you order online and that migration is activated, the store will get 'used' notification if they try to use it.

SO, till you get an activation e-mail, if ordered online, still can redo in store, but in that case while web-store will try to activate, they will see that it has been already activated in-store.

Anyways, its a no-go for duplication, my be some time window in between 2x go efforts, that's all
Hmm, I'll ask my buddy who works at Walmart what their activation process is like and see if I can activate another line. People earlier in this thread and the last thread said that people used their numbers and this was a before the plan was about to end and they just went in store and activated. I'm assuming the people that used their numbers had been activated already. If anyone has real world experience from activating in store please pm me.
Sep 24, 2013
853 posts
562 upvotes
Ontario
Just tried entering to promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA and not working anymore
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3266 posts
2455 upvotes
No Bum Deals
buddshek wrote: Just tried entering to promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA and not working anymore
I think they are trying to perfect the reCAPTCHA service.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/5 - 1x Koodo 39/10 - 1x Fido 0/3 🢀
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9470 posts
4197 upvotes
6ix
buddshek wrote: Just tried entering to promo code JOINKOODOAUGDATA and not working anymore
Just tried it, didnt work in regular browser but working in incognito mode
Koodo $40 8GB
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19318 posts
7421 upvotes
Toronto
I just did it like 2 minutes ago and it worked for me. I received a cold call from a Koodo store asking me if I was interested in migrating. I played dumb and asked what this is all about. The guys said because I was such a loyal Pubic Mobile customer, I was being offered this option to move to Koodo. I explained that forcing me to migrate when I am a very loyal customer is counter intuitive. I thanked him for the offer but not interested at the moment. He did mention that should I change my mind, I have two more days to consider and to contact him to do the switch. It does look like September 27 is the final day to get this offer. Anyway, after getting off the phone with the Koodo rep, I decided to check whether my phone number is eligible a second time. The JOINKOODOAUGDATA code works but I got the use once only error for my phone number. I guess their call list is taken from the eligible database and not the eligible but unused list of numbers.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17101 posts
6920 upvotes
Oakville
alkaint wrote: But from what I read is that people's who's numbers were used online could still be used in store so I wasnt sure they use the number in store to validate just to Port I think.
alkaint wrote: Hmm, I'll ask my buddy who works at Walmart what their activation process is like and see if I can activate another line. People earlier in this thread and the last thread said that people used their numbers and this was a before the plan was about to end and they just went in store and activated. I'm assuming the people that used their numbers had been activated already. If anyone has real world experience from activating in store please pm me.
The only way it can still be used in store after being used online is if you're in the in-between period after ordering online, but before the online order was activated. But there's a very real possibility of the online order failing to be activated after you do it in-store, because your number has already been used (and also, most retailers will force you to port on the spot if you're doing it in-store).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient