Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo $35/5GB or $40/8GB - Public Mobile Migration plus $180 bill credit

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2019 3:13 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3343 posts
2585 upvotes
Richmond Hill
will888 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:48 am
Blame this on the government. Long ago, these types of credits were done before tax is calculated. The governments realized that discounts really cut into their revenue and so they adjusted the tax laws so that the discount comes after the taxes are assessed.
Luckily it seems like Public Mobile credits are still deducted before tax.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2221 posts
643 upvotes
Ok I just got my first bill and I'm so confused.

I signed up September 02 and waited for my sim. I received my Sim on September 04 and activated it, porting over from Zoomer. Anyone elses bill like this?

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Jun 30, 2013
600 posts
253 upvotes
GTA
Zephyr22b wrote: Ok I just got my first bill and I'm so confused.

I signed up September 02 and waited for my sim. I received my Sim on September 04 and activated it, porting over from Zoomer. Anyone elses bill like this?

That $40 will be a credit in next month
I only response to real deals, otherwise I am blank
  1. Koodo 40/8 Line 1
  2. PM 50/8 N/American Talk Line 3
  3. Koodo 40.5/8 Line 2
  4. Koodo 40/8 Line 4

Self Referral Tips for Koodo - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-3 ... #p29790634
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1006 posts
498 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Zephyr22b wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:40 pm
Ok I just got my first bill and I'm so confused.

They always charge a month service in advance, so you're basically paying Sept 2nd until Nov 2nd. Thats why your bill is higher, next month it'll be back down and when you choose to cancel (if you ever do) you'll have a prorated credit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15054 upvotes
Ottawa
cappaj wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 8:28 am
I got my second bill today (I signed up in store in the last week of August). Two things - 1) No $30 credit yet for the activation fee. They said 2nd or 3rd bill so it should be on the next one! 2) Looks like tax is charged on the full amount, before the $15 credit is deducted, so that's about $2 more than I thought it'd be.

Screenshot_20181003-075851_Chrome.jpg

Also - does anyone know what "SFD" stands for?
On my bill summary, it shows the credit before taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2221 posts
643 upvotes
pazivai wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:47 pm
That $40 will be a credit in next month
alkaint wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:53 pm
They always charge a month service in advance, so you're basically paying Sept 2nd until Nov 2nd. Thats why your bill is higher, next month it'll be back down and when you choose to cancel (if you ever do) you'll have a prorated credit.
Ohh! my bad

Ok. I see in the detailed bill that the $40 is for Oct 1 - 31st.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Apr 9, 2006
522 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
I had to call Koodo because the $180 credit was applied to the first random number they gave me and not the number that I ported afterward from Public Mobile. So I received the $15 credit for my bill from Sept 3rd - 30th but not for October 1 - 31st. I called them and they said they were going to change the phone number that credit is applied to, to my ported number instead. If anyone else is having issues with the $180 credit not showing on their bill, it may be worth it to reach out to Koodo. :)
Nov 24, 2016
936 posts
1079 upvotes
Duality wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:32 pm
I had to call Koodo because the $180 credit was applied to the first random number they gave me and not the number that I ported afterward from Public Mobile. So I received the $15 credit for my bill from Sept 3rd - 30th but not for October 1 - 31st. I called them and they said they were going to change the phone number that credit is applied to, to my ported number instead. If anyone else is having issues with the $180 credit not showing on their bill, it may be worth it to reach out to Koodo. :)
hmm interesting I also got the credit for the random numbers as well. Now i have to wait for the next bill to see what happens. Just out of curiosity. Is the number you ported the same number that qualified for the deal?
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
1900 posts
1260 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:56 pm
On my bill summary, it shows the credit before taxes.
Yeah, but if you calculate what the tax amount is 13% of, it should work out to the pre-credit total (in my bill, the tax amount is 13% of $50, not the post-credit total of $35).
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15054 upvotes
Ottawa
cappaj wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:56 pm
Yeah, but if you calculate what the tax amount is 13% of, it should work out to the pre-credit total (in my bill, the tax amount is 13% of $50, not the post-credit total of $35).
Ah, I see it now...sneaky!
Apr 9, 2006
522 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
MastaOogway wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:49 pm
hmm interesting I also got the credit for the random numbers as well. Now i have to wait for the next bill to see what happens. Just out of curiosity. Is the number you ported the same number that qualified for the deal?
Yep! The same number from Public Mobile. So the randomly generated number was the one that received a credit and the PM number didn't receive the credit.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29214 posts
15054 upvotes
Ottawa
Duality wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 2:32 pm
Thanks for confirming what I anticipated from last month.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19014 posts
5914 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I had a whole bunch of billing issues on the two lines that I ported.

One got charged a connection fee, one didn't. One got the credit, one didn't. Was charged some partial fee on one of the temporary numbers...

Took me 1+ hours to get them to sort it out, and i suspect I will end up having to call them again next month for the credit on one of the lines again.

I'm kind of disappointed so far given one of the reasons why I was willing to switch to Koodo was because I figured the whole customer support situation would be better there than PM. Well, I suppose I actually got to call someone about these issues which is something but it shouldn't have been so hard for them to get this promo right.

I've been on pre-pay with mobilicity/wind/pm for so long that I was also surprised by being charged the plan fee for a month in advance on the first bill as well, oh well, that one is on me I suppose.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18793 posts
6815 upvotes
Toronto
rugerty100 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:20 pm
Luckily it seems like Public Mobile credits are still deducted before tax.
It is the quirk that is prepaid.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18793 posts
6815 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:38 pm
I had a whole bunch of billing issues on the two lines that I ported.

One got charged a connection fee, one didn't. One got the credit, one didn't. Was charged some partial fee on one of the temporary numbers...

Took me 1+ hours to get them to sort it out, and i suspect I will end up having to call them again next month for the credit on one of the lines again.

I'm kind of disappointed so far given one of the reasons why I was willing to switch to Koodo was because I figured the whole customer support situation would be better there than PM. Well, I suppose I actually got to call someone about these issues which is something but it shouldn't have been so hard for them to get this promo right.

I've been on pre-pay with mobilicity/wind/pm for so long that I was also surprised by being charged the plan fee for a month in advance on the first bill as well, oh well, that one is on me I suppose.
The term post paid is a bit of a misnomer. The regular plan itself is actually prepaid. It is only the extras not included in the regular plan that is postpaid. These can only be billed as they are used.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank