• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 9:27 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2018
1 posts
62 upvotes

[Koodo] $360 Essential Phone is back again

"You'll pay $0 for your phone and put the rest ($360.00) on your Tab
Pay a $15 monthly Tab charge for 24 months, and then you'll only pay your monthly plan charge
Plans start from $45/month
Includes $100 in activation credits"
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Thread Summary
Koodo offering Essential PH1 phone for $360 (+ SIM card + days of service until your plan cancellation + applicable taxes) via Medium Tab. Koodo allows cancellation of service plan and simply full payment of the tab.

Existing Koodo customers may also receive $50~$150 in additional credits (targeted; select post-paid customers only). Log into your self serve account, then shop for the Essential Phone to check for offer.

Also, discussion of camera issues, speaker grill issue, lag issues, comparisons with other phones, screen protectors, and cases.

Note: Soliciting referrals are against forum rules.
For tutorial on self-referring and referring out on multi-line, see this thread.
2273 replies
Sep 8, 2013
641 posts
234 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Does that mean the $100 in activation credits reduces it to 0 or do you get an additional $100 on top of the $0 Essential phone?
Jan 18, 2016
15 posts
10 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
It only reduces it to 0 dollars..... I know crappy right
Dec 10, 2017
898 posts
804 upvotes
Toronto
TheGivingTree wrote: Does that mean the $100 in activation credits reduces it to 0 or do you get an additional $100 on top of the $0 Essential phone?
Based on the page, it seems to mean the $100 off of the regular $100 cost + $360 tab.

It would not be $100 credit ontop of free phone (+360 on tab).
Stay Frosty'
Dec 9, 2013
730 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
What's the cheapest way to get this for non-koodo customers? Pay the 460 outright?
Nov 16, 2006
613 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
miscbrah1 wrote: What's the cheapest way to get this for non-koodo customers? Pay the 460 outright?
Buy on tab medium, run credit check, put on seasonal hold for 3 months at $15/month, end up with phone for $405+tax.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
2621 posts
2147 upvotes
Cambridge
xtreemboarder wrote: Buy on tab medium, run credit check, put on seasonal hold for 3 months at $15/month, end up with phone for $405+tax.
Or just cancel right away and avoid paying 3x $15 (or more if you can't get a seasonal hold) though the sales rep won't get commission then, I believe.
Aug 3, 2010
139 posts
223 upvotes
Windsor
xtreemboarder wrote: Buy on tab medium, run credit check, put on seasonal hold for 3 months at $15/month, end up with phone for $405+tax.
Why not just cancel the day after you get the phone?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3388 posts
1427 upvotes
Toronto
miscbrah1 wrote: What's the cheapest way to get this for non-koodo customers? Pay the 460 outright?
Get from Wow Mobile and use Tab small so that you can utilize their $50 trade in.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20087 posts
8010 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
ThunderRodriguez wrote: Why not just cancel the day after you get the phone?
When I did it, I just canceled as soon as I got home, didn't even wait a day. Paid nothing other than the cost of the phone/tab and the sim card.

Felt scummy, but the guy on the phone didn't seem to care.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
2216 posts
1773 upvotes
Surrey
9613019 wrote: Get from Wow Mobile and use Tab small so that you can utilize their $50 trade in.
I don't think Wow carries the essential phone
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15218 posts
6233 upvotes
I found this interesting review of the Essential Phone with the Oreo 8.1 beta update:

TL;DW, basically they said that the phone still has more lag than a Pixel and the camera still sucks, but overall for this price it's a great phone.

After watching the video I would say that the G6 is better, but to each their own. I can see why people would like this phone.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1733 posts
1497 upvotes
Toronto
How is this back again?? I had this offer for few weeks now. Just to be clear the phone is $100 + $360 tab - $100 credit
It you do the referral you get extra $50 bill credit BUT it ends today and most likely goes back to $25.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Nov 13, 2014
152 posts
342 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
BinaryJay wrote: When I did it, I just canceled as soon as I got home, didn't even wait a day. Paid nothing other than the cost of the phone/tab and the sim card.

Felt scummy, but the guy on the phone didn't seem to care.
Did you just end up paying 15 × 24?

I just called the pickering location and the lady said if I cancel I'll have to pay the remaining balance on the full phone cost out right. Not whatever is left on my tab?
Nov 9, 2010
652 posts
463 upvotes
Richmond, BC
ffonly wrote: I don't think Wow carries the essential phone
Yep. Went to a store with my 6 year old Nexus only to be disappointed that they didn't carry the Essential phone.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1733 posts
1497 upvotes
Toronto
Alkhemist wrote: Did you just end up paying 15 × 24?

I just called the pickering location and the lady said if I cancel I'll have to pay the remaining balance on the full phone cost out right. Not whatever is left on my tab?
It’s a lie, you only have to pay of the tab balance. It even says that the website, on your contact. I’ve done it twice already.
Multi Millionaire in Points
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1783 posts
798 upvotes
Markham
FoMoHotDeals wrote: How is this back again?? I had this offer for few weeks now. Just to be clear the phone is $100 + $360 tab - $100 credit
It you do the referral you get extra $50 bill credit BUT it ends today and most likely goes back to $25.
How can one confirm $50 referral credit ends today? I was looking to refer my sister this weekend but I might have to do it today after work.

Alkhemist wrote: Did you just end up paying 15 × 24?

No that's a scare tactic, plus they don't get commission if you cancel before 90 days. I've done this a few times and you can just call in to cancel but they will give you a hard time and tell you the same thing as the store rep. What I do is port the number out so that "essentially" cancels the account.
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
Dec 18, 2006
4 posts
Terrace
Is this a better deal than the Moto G5 deal that got posted for $139 the other day? Trying to figure out if this phone warrants the price difference.
May 30, 2017
629 posts
237 upvotes
Brampton, Mount Plea…
One of the best deals out there for a Snapdragon 835 phone with stock Android. I can't think of a SD835 phone cheaper than this.
Nov 10, 2009
785 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got iphone6 and sold it while porting my number from public mobile. Wish I had bought this instead
Koodo $40/11GB, $35/10GB
Public Mobile customer