Cell Phones

Koodo Changes = Suggestions/Exp's with Upgrades prior to 24 months?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2020 7:39 pm
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
350 posts
643 upvotes
Chilliwack

Koodo Changes = Suggestions/Exp's with Upgrades prior to 24 months?

Question after background:

So after being with Koodo for 5+ years and breaking a phone within four months of my last upgrade, I am now faced with the additional charge of paying off the phone activation (which never used to be a policy) in addition to my tab balance.... What would have been a simple 280ish tab balance pay off to get a new phone is now a 450+tax adventure and I am STILL being forced out of my great plan.

After calling customer care, Koodo has thrown me their bone of keeping my plan ONLY if I lock into a medium tab again....

Has anyone had any experience dealing with upgrades prior to 24 months? I'm starting to research the competitors, but I used to be a die hard Koodo fan, ported over 3 family members.... and I'm pretty amazed that they have really made it this difficult for those who unfortunately have their phones physically broken, or die outside of warranty prior to 24 months.

I'd welcome suggestions to other providers, as well as experiences from people in same position.

(I do recognize that I simply missed the fact that I'd have to pay off the phone activation in my last agreement - I'll certainly be reading everything a lot more clearly now. Feel like a total bait and switch after being a loyal customer and having their plans and fine print change so significantly).
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell
6 replies
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
649 upvotes
Your phone is broken? Is it still under warranty? Usually 1-year warranty from manufacturer.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2630 posts
1591 upvotes
Calgary
Unfortunately it was likely all the churners who were taking advantage of the system Koodo was using that made them go to the current model of having to pay the device balance + activation credit if you cancel early.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much standard now across all the carriers. Your best bet is indeed warranty coverage if it's something that's covered (liquid / screen breaks aren't).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21042 posts
10551 upvotes
Oakville
nepper wrote: (I do recognize that I simply missed the fact that I'd have to pay off the phone activation in my last agreement - I'll certainly be reading everything a lot more clearly now. Feel like a total bait and switch after being a loyal customer and having their plans and fine print change so significantly).
It made the rounds quite a bit here on RFD, plus anywhere else that talks about Canadian mobile news (MobileSyrup, for example), but wasn't really mentioned otherwise.

FWIW, this is how EVERY carrier has always done it, this is really just Koodo getting back in line. So if you're only leaving because you want to have a better experience elsewhere if you break your phone early into your contract, you're out of luck.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7688 posts
5187 upvotes
Canada
Devhux wrote: Unfortunately it was likely all the churners who were taking advantage of the system Koodo was using that made them go to the current model of having to pay the device balance + activation credit if you cancel early.

Unfortunately, this is pretty much standard now across all the carriers. Your best bet is indeed warranty coverage if it's something that's covered (liquid / screen breaks aren't).
wearysky wrote:
FWIW, this is how EVERY carrier has always done it, this is really just Koodo getting back in line. So if you're only leaving because you want to have a better experience elsewhere if you break your phone early into your contract, you're out of luck.

It's not standard.

Koodo and Telus have made it worse than others like Rogers, Freedom, Fido by raising the price of the phone beyond MSRP, in some cases by hundreds of $. Not only are you paying the phone MSRP, you are also paying the inflated difference. It's their way of making the early cancellation or upgrade fees even higher than it normally should be (MSRP).

It's against the wireless code but they are getting away with it.

S20 ultra example:

Telus price: $2200
Rogers price: $1850 (same as Samsung MSRP, like it should be under the wireless code)

Upgrade/cancel after 1 year
Telus: $925 + $175 = $1100
Rogers: $925
Nov 21, 2007
515 posts
623 upvotes
Peterborough
Sgtalpowell wrote: Your phone is broken? Is it still under warranty? Usually 1-year warranty from manufacturer.
Pretty sure he's implying physical damage.
[OP]
Feb 11, 2009
350 posts
643 upvotes
Chilliwack
Thanks for the replies.

FWIW, for anyone else facing a similar situation, I was able to manage the following from the loyalty department, if I were to upgrade in-store or online (I did upgrade in-store, purely because I needed a phone, asap):

- they would credit me the $35 activation credit if I upgraded in-store (free online, of course)
- they would not budge on my keeping my $60 12GB plan, but would allow me to have $60 10GB, only if I upgraded on a medium tab plan (which I did)
- they gave me a credit off my tab/phone activation amount owing (nearly $400), with a credit of $75 if I upgraded in-store, or $100 credit if I upgraded with Koodo.

I upgraded. Got a $100 giftcard from LD, not the greatest, but I helped offset the damage.

Agree - be very careful with the 'phone activation' amount Koodo lists on the contract (reps don't bring it up), their prices seemed very inflated on the older model 2018 phones I was looking at - you can buy them online from authorized retailers brand new for much less.

Ugh. I miss the old days.
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell