• May 14th, 2019 10:11 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4276 posts
691 upvotes
Edmonton

Koodo charges customers for a 3yr old billing mistake

Apparently about two to three years ago an error was made by Koodo that has just come to light. They believe some customers, roughly 200 where not correctly charged when they got a new phone way back when.

Without any real notification or justification they billed customers that are still with them. The error arrapently is there was no record of customers paying the tab on their systems. But they can’t really provide proof there was an error nor that it has been fixed.

Instead of reaching out to the effected customers they just added the cost to customers bills and said if you provide back records we will remove the charge.

I have not seen any documentation of announcement on the error and apparently they are handling it on a one to one bases. Regardless if your bills have been paid they can hold you accountable for this charge.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
32 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17095 posts
6916 upvotes
Oakville
Source?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11385 posts
10403 upvotes
@Max_Dealing Is this what Koodo just added the unpaid tab balance amount to your account?
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4896 posts
1649 upvotes
Debtario
LOL that's awful if that's the case. Reminds me of last week when an idiot Virgin mobile rep tried to tell me I can't cancel until I pay off my (positive) supertab balance from 2012; phone is off contract since 2014 and have a credit from the 10% of my bill they would take towards the supertab.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4276 posts
691 upvotes
Edmonton
embguy wrote: @Max_Dealing Is this what Koodo just added the unpaid tab balance amount to your account?
Kind of... they said it was paid off. I thought it was paid off. All records say it is paid off. But Koodo says there is an error in their systems discovered recently. So they lied to me before or are lying now. Either way, what company just charges a person for something that happened years ago without notice or justification then says you have to prove it did not happen? Any other relationship then providing a service a customer could just walk but they hold customers credit rating in their hands in this case.

I asked how do I know this error is not the source of the problem and that Koodo has lost the record of paying it off. Currently awaiting proof from koodo an error actually occurred, it is resolved, and that they are not just making it up charges. How can you bill some one without documentation of something that apparently happened close to 3 years ago? Talk about price protection! Maybe I can go back to the bank and say my house is worth less today give me $30,000 back...

There is a rough record of 200 people effected by this apparent error and I made this thread because I thought it was worth documenting. Koodo can not delete RFD threads and they are searchable.
Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1216 posts
1345 upvotes
whoever is doing the billing in koodo's department isn't so bright. I managed to get a 360tab balance erased and never got charged for it. Pretty sure they will eventually come for the money though if they ask for it and provide me the bill that they got wrong I will pay it. To me its an interest free loan.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14653 posts
3598 upvotes
Markham
Max_Dealing wrote: Kind of... they said it was paid off. I thought it was paid off. All records say it is paid off. But Koodo says there is an error in their systems discovered recently. So they lied to me before or are lying now. Either way, what company just charges a person for something that happened years ago without notice or justification then says you have to prove it did not happen? Any other relationship then providing a service a customer could just walk but they hold customers credit rating in their hands in this case.

I asked how do I know this error is not the source of the problem and that Koodo has lost the record of paying it off. Currently awaiting proof from koodo an error actually occurred, it is resolved, and that they are not just making it up charges. How can you bill some one without documentation of something that apparently happened close to 3 years ago? Talk about price protection! Maybe I can go back to the bank and say my house is worth less today give me $30,000 back...

There is a rough record of 200 people effected by this apparent error and I made this thread because I thought it was worth documenting. Koodo can not delete RFD threads and they are searchable.
File complain to CCTS
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Sep 27, 2003
9954 posts
2580 upvotes
Newmarket
According to Koodo's T&C, a customer has 30 days to review charges and dispute them. Why does Koodo get 3 years to reverse their mistake?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17095 posts
6916 upvotes
Oakville
WorldIRC wrote: According to Koodo's T&C, a customer has 30 days to review charges and dispute them. Why does Koodo get 3 years to reverse their mistake?
Koodo presumably only just noticed the mistake. It's not like they knew about it at the time, and waited 3 years to charge people for it. However, the onus should absolutely still be on them to *prove* that there was a mistake made, and customers should be given a full accounting of it (including full copies of bills sent at that time, and payments received, to show that what they're saying is true).
Sep 27, 2003
9954 posts
2580 upvotes
Newmarket
wearysky wrote: Koodo presumably only just noticed the mistake. It's not like they knew about it at the time, and waited 3 years to charge people for it. However, the onus should absolutely still be on them to *prove* that there was a mistake made, and customers should be given a full accounting of it (including full copies of bills sent at that time, and payments received, to show that what they're saying is true).
I once tried invoicing a client a year after services were provided. Suffice it to say, it didn't go over well as I didn't have a good reason for the delay. I got paid in the end, but it did damage the relationship as the client no longer had the budget for these services when I went to invoice them.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19317 posts
7421 upvotes
Toronto
WorldIRC wrote: According to Koodo's T&C, a customer has 30 days to review charges and dispute them. Why does Koodo get 3 years to reverse their mistake?
Because they have the gold and so they make the rules? Look at the recent arbitrary change to the tab eligibility where they claim that the tab is not part of the plan feature. How dare they charge customers extra to get a larger tab? This can only come from a company that is out of control. Surely there must be a statute of limitations on this claim.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $5/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4276 posts
691 upvotes
Edmonton
I have had several conversations with Koodo and made a complaint with the rightful parties. The number went from 200 people effected since 2017 to 2000 as per latest conversation. Koodo refuses to provide any proof the error existed or any proof it has been resolved.

Their 30 day refuse false charge process does not apply to this as they do not see it as a mistake just a glitch in their billing system. According to Koodo.

The statute of limitations limits a person or company to two years for taking legal action against. So by law they can not force customers to pay the amount but they can how ever bully people into paying. I was able to find a legal ruling in Alberta that sites this, a corrective invoice needs to be presented within two years of the date or is rules invalid.

If 2000 customers have been effected. No notification nor announcement of the existence of the error, glitch, mistake ever existed. These effected people are being charged as if guilty without even an attempt to resolve the matter before resorting to charging them. Well to me this is a company I will never ever do business with and will express my opinion to everyone whom utters their name. Seems like the definition of black mail according to the internet dictionary definition.
Heatware
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17095 posts
6916 upvotes
Oakville
WorldIRC wrote: I once tried invoicing a client a year after services were provided. Suffice it to say, it didn't go over well as I didn't have a good reason for the delay. I got paid in the end, but it did damage the relationship as the client no longer had the budget for these services when I went to invoice them.
We don't know what Koodo's reason is, but having worked as a software developer at a large company dealing with thousands of transactions a month, I can *easily* see an obscure bug in the billing system slipping through the cracks and only getting discovered after several years. Whether or not that's "a good reason", it's certainly a better reason than "Yeah, I just never got around to invoicing you." But I mean, it's not like *any* carrier particularly cares about the quality of their relationship with customers - they have a captive audience. If the price is right, often even the most vocal "I'm never doing business with them again!" customer ends up coming back. And that's completely aside from the fact that there's going to be a non-trivial percentage of their customers who *know* they didn't pay, thought they got away with it, and are willing to pay up now that they've gotten caught. Like this guy:
MastaOogway wrote: whoever is doing the billing in koodo's department isn't so bright. I managed to get a 360tab balance erased and never got charged for it. Pretty sure they will eventually come for the money though if they ask for it and provide me the bill that they got wrong I will pay it. To me its an interest free loan.
If it's up to 2000 customers now as OP says... If it was even just small tabs that didn't get discharged properly, that's nearly half a million dollars. There's no way Koodo's going to eat that loss without a fight. But they *definitely* need to be doing more than saying "haha, our bad, we made a mistake so now please pay us" without providing any actual proof. That's just begging for a class action lawyer to jump on it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9469 posts
4197 upvotes
6ix
OP How much is the bill? Are you gonna pay it?
Koodo $40 8GB
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4276 posts
691 upvotes
Edmonton
Koodo wants $510 and I have created a case with CCTS. I strongly believe in not paying for others mistakes. I will pay for my mistake as I believe it is the “right thing” todo but not others.

I agree with the captive audaince comment and I hope the other 1999 customers speak up. While it is easy to say okay I owe you money without actually thinking it through when getting pressured by the telecom, I do not believe that is the right thing to do.

I loose money all the time for my mistakes but can’t exactly go back and ask for my money.
Heatware