Koodo

DEAL IS GONE QC Only!! $40 for Unlimited Minutes, texting and 2GB Data

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2016 8:28 am
Tags:
Jun 3, 2016
12 posts
1 upvote
Does Koodo have online chat or have to call in? Chatted with Fido and they offer a discount on the second line wanted 10 dollars per SIM card. I know the telus network is good in my area though.
Apr 18, 2010
224 posts
244 upvotes
Beaverland
theganguly wrote: First up... Koodo (and Fido, Virgin) has plan for Manitoba where you get Unlimited Canada wide minutes, text and 5 GB LTE data for $48/month.

There is a loophole in Koodo's website that lets you get this plan in AB, BC or ON.

What people do is:

1. Sign up for new line from local Koodo store/reseller. Use real address and get a new local number and the cheapest plan available.

2. Go home and change number to a Manitoba number using online self serve. Koodo generates a new Manitoba number for them.

3. Once first billing cycle ends (usually 3-9 days from sign up), plan is changed to $48 plan using self serve.

4. Right after, people port in existing number from a different provider. That's it.

There are a couple of additional steps involved if person is already Koodo subscriber but still doable

Koodo has been made aware of this loophole numerous times. There are 2 CBC articles on it, but at this point they must be keeping it open intentionally.

Same loophole can be used to get this QC plan as well.
Any workaround to your trick while keeping your number from another provider?
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1391 posts
1085 upvotes
s7evin wrote: Any workaround to your trick while keeping your number from another provider?
The workaround given already includes that. That's why step #4.
Apr 17, 2015
88 posts
35 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Alright so I called Fido,

I'm currently on a 50$/month 1Gb plan with them. Always paid on time, had 2 phones over the years. I told them about Koodo 2Gb for 40$.

They offered 45$ for the same plan (and still with the same small voicemail with 3 messages) and when I said no thanks it's still higher than Koodo, the lady gave me a confirmation number and... voila.

So now I'm even more motivated to switch to Koodo. Only problem: when I go on their website, I select the 40$ plan and add it to cart. The only "next" button is for the selection of a phone and I don't see an option to bring my own... am I missing something?

Thanks

Edit: In the meantime, I went back on the Fido chat and was offered 2Gb for 40$. They can't do anything regarding voicemail. There is a travel kit but it costs 5$. Good enough for now...
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1391 posts
1085 upvotes
dealHub wrote: Alright so I called Fido,

I'm currently on a 50$/month 1Gb plan with them. Always paid on time, had 2 phones over the years. I told them about Koodo 2Gb for 40$.

They offered 45$ for the same plan (and still with the same small voicemail with 3 messages) and when I said no thanks it's still higher than Koodo, the lady gave me a confirmation number and... voila.

So now I'm even more motivated to switch to Koodo. Only problem: when I go on their website, I select the 40$ plan and add it to cart. The only "next" button is for the selection of a phone and I don't see an option to bring my own... am I missing something?

Thanks

Edit: In the meantime, I went back on the Fido chat and was offered 2Gb for 40$. They can't do anything regarding voicemail. There is a travel kit but it costs 5$. Good enough for now...
Can't buy from Koodo website without buying a phone. You can return the phone but better to get a sim and plan from a store.
May 11, 2014
418 posts
159 upvotes
MTL, QC
gamer602 wrote: This plan was $34 last Black Friday
Yes but Virgin sent me a message telling me that they will increased my bill for $ 5 :s!
May 6, 2016
7 posts
Signed up for the 1gb $34 plan a few months back?.. am I ablw to switch my plan to this one?.. I'm always going over my limit and apparently the woman working at the koodo both told me I couldn't... I may just call and harass customer service
May 30, 2015
668 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto, ON
theganguly wrote: Can't buy from Koodo website without buying a phone. You can return the phone but better to get a sim and plan from a store.
same with Koodo. I really dont understand why they are doing this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8577 posts
3758 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Eli2015 wrote:
theganguly wrote: Can't buy from Koodo website without buying a phone. You can return the phone but better to get a sim and plan from a store.
same with Koodo. I really dont understand why they are doing this.
Lolwut...
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12424 posts
2140 upvotes
GTA
has anyone got this deal outside of quebec?
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12424 posts
2140 upvotes
GTA
i mean get the plan in theory like how people got the Manitoba plan in theory
Feb 13, 2014
209 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa
Could someone in Ottawa go to a mall across the river, get a plan and then swap to an Ontario number? Or is the only way to do it to use the steps noted earlier?
Apr 18, 2010
224 posts
244 upvotes
Beaverland
theganguly wrote: The workaround given already includes that. That's why step #4.
Ok I missed that part, I'll give it a try I think. But can I get that Manitoba plan in QC too? Thanks!

Is it a 2 years contract? Or can I cancel at any time with Kodoo?
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1391 posts
1085 upvotes
s7evin wrote: Ok I missed that part, I'll give it a try I think. But can I get that Manitoba plan in QC too? Thanks!

Is it a 2 years contract? Or can I cancel at any time with Kodoo?
There is no contract. You can always use Manitoba Plan with QC number in the last step, but if I remember correct.. if you start off step 1 with QC number, it doesn't let you change to MB number online (which is step 2). For that to happen, it must be AB, ON or BC number in step 1. I could be wrong but ask on Koodo forums on HowardForums and someone will answer it for you.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36140 posts
4656 upvotes
Winnipeg
okano wrote: is there a reason why it's double the price in ontario? i thought we are much more populated and suppose to get cheaper plan because of that
did you know ontario also pays the highest insurance cost and highest hydro cost? nothing to do with economy of scale, everything to do because they can.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36140 posts
4656 upvotes
Winnipeg
gamer602 wrote: No.
Not allowed.
you can get the plan in quebec and use it outside of it if you want, i do that now with sk plan, $40 unlimited everything
May 12, 2014
220 posts
81 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ToniCipriani wrote: If there's a will, there's a way.
Means? Do you want to say I can manage to get this in Ontario?