Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

Essential Phone Black 128GB total $285+Tax (Targeted) on Tab Small/Medium

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2018 4:35 pm
Feb 19, 2007
815 posts
96 upvotes
I got this phone a few days ago and I am going to send it back and stick with my current phone. For what it's worth here are my reasons for those in my position. I got the phone for $360. Phone is fully up to date, which took a few hours. I currently have an LG G3. These are the points that killed it for me.

Pros (in favor of the PH-1)
+ Screen is really nice, colorful, aspect ratio, sharp, white balance, etc.
+ Speakers
+ Battery life seems decent
+ Bluetooth syncs really fast
+ Charges very fast
+ Build quality
+ Android 8.1 coming down the pipe

Cons
- Camera, before the updates it is embarrassingly awful. After the updates it's still not nearly as good as the G3. Noise reduction, over sharpening. Details are nowhere near as good. In low-light all these problems are amplified. Even with HDR enabled in daylight, contrasts are off, details are lost in darker areas. Honestly, barely compare to the LG G3.
- No OIS on camera
- In all my Chrome browser tests, the PH-1 and G3 loaded pages in identical speed, in some case the G3 was faster in others the PH-1, but so close neither wins.
- Finger print reader, I set it up a few times, only seems to work sporadically, just vibrates and doesn't read it.
- No headphone jack, though it nicely comes with the USB-C to 1/8" needed, which I liked
- Battery is beyond non-replaceable. Looked at the ifixit teardown after having already bought it - 1/10, yesh.
- It's very heavy. Some may like this, but compared to the G3 it's a bloody tank. All that added weight in your pocket would just be a nuisance.
- Splitting hairs here, but it's a damn finger print magnet
- No microsd (of course it's 128GB)

This is my opinion, so just throwing it out there. But, really other than the beautiful LCD - for me - there are far more negatives than positives. Even with all other negatives resolved, I just cannot get by the camera being so noticeably worse than my two year old G3.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
d_Ave wrote: This is my opinion, so just throwing it out there. But, really other than the beautiful LCD - for me - there are far more negatives than positives. Even with all other negatives resolved, I just cannot get by the camera being so noticeably worse than my two year old G3.
This has been my take after reading more and more about it. Lots of good but the negatives are painful even with the lower price tag.

Another dad on my son's hockey team just bought one. He likes far but admits you have to live with the camera and other issues.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
d_Ave wrote: I got this phone a few days ago and I am going to send it back and stick with my current phone. For what it's worth here are my reasons for those in my position. I got the phone for $360. Phone is fully up to date, which took a few hours. I currently have an LG G3. These are the points that killed it for me.

+ Speakers
+ Charges very fast
+ Build quality

Cons
- Camera, before the updates it is embarrassingly awful. After the updates it's still not nearly as good as the G3. Noise reduction, over sharpening. Details are nowhere near as good. In low-light all these problems are amplified. Even with HDR enabled in daylight, contrasts are off, details are lost in darker areas. Honestly, barely compare to the LG G3.
- No OIS on camera
- In all my Chrome browser tests, the PH-1 and G3 loaded pages in identical speed, in some case the G3 was faster in others the PH-1, but so close neither wins.
- Finger print reader, I set it up a few times, only seems to work sporadically, just vibrates and doesn't read it.
- No headphone jack, though it nicely comes with the USB-C to 1/8" needed, which I liked
- Battery is beyond non-replaceable. Looked at the ifixit teardown after having already bought it - 1/10, yesh.
- It's very heavy. Some may like this, but compared to the G3 it's a bloody tank. All that added weight in your pocket would just be a nuisance.

This is my opinion, so just throwing it out there. But, really other than the beautiful LCD - for me - there are far more negatives than positives. Even with all other negatives resolved, I just cannot get by the camera being so noticeably worse than my two year old G3.
I upgraded to the Essential Phone from my 2 year old LG G3. My G3 is running hot and battery drain is terrible. Thanks for the removable battery so that I can replace it with a 6500mah extended battery.

I do not understand Essential's design logic. They seal the phone with a non-removable battery, but it is not waterproofing. They use heavy material like ceramic back, but does not support wireless charging. They ship the phone with a cable for charging only (no data transfer).

I still like the Essential phone just becasue the low price. For $200+, it is much better than other phones at the same price range.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2007
1349 posts
480 upvotes
Toronto
So back in November, I got the Essential Phone. It was so bad even with Oreo Beta 2 that I gave up. After 3 months, I decided to try it again with Oreo 8.1 Beta.

I then rooted the phone, got ElementalX kernel, Magisk, install GCAM mod, and the experience is amazing. Battery life is 14-15 hours on 3 hours SOT.

Camera I would say is on par with LG G5-ish now, nothing spectacular, but overall performance is much better than LG G6 that I had for about a month. The fact that LG G6 has a phone idle battery drain was a big factor in me changing back to Essential Phone. So in short, if you're a tweaker, then this phone is really good for you.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1222 posts
293 upvotes
Oshawa
Figure this is as good a post my Koodo question, because the phone support people given such conflicting responses and I don't know who to believe anymore. You try asking the same question over and over and the rep just doesn't understand and keeps repeating the same nonsensical response.

For billing purposes on monthly plans are we not paying Koodo in advance of using the service? So for example my monthly cycle starts on the 17th of the month, and usually payment would be posted in my online banking on the 4th of the month. The first rep I spoke with said that a payment taken on say January 4th, 2018 would cover the period of January 17th to February 17th (give or take a day). However another rep said that payment was for the previous cycle of December 17th to January 17th. I was always led to believe it was the former scenario I just mentioned, because it would be stupid for a wireless provider to let a customer use the service and then collect payment.

So to recoup just trying to see where scenario is right

Money taken January 4th, 2018
1. January 17th to February 17th, 2018
2. December 17th, 2017 to January 17th, 2018

Which cycle would it apply too?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3659 posts
1647 upvotes
Toronto
venividivici wrote: Figure this is as good a post my Koodo question, because the phone support people given such conflicting responses and I don't know who to believe anymore. You try asking the same question over and over and the rep just doesn't understand and keeps repeating the same nonsensical response.

For billing purposes on monthly plans are we not paying Koodo in advance of using the service? So for example my monthly cycle starts on the 17th of the month, and usually payment would be posted in my online banking on the 4th of the month. The first rep I spoke with said that a payment taken on say January 4th, 2018 would cover the period of January 17th to February 17th (give or take a day). However another rep said that payment was for the previous cycle of December 17th to January 17th. I was always led to believe it was the former scenario I just mentioned, because it would be stupid for a wireless provider to let a customer use the service and then collect payment.

So to recoup just trying to see where scenario is right

Money taken January 4th, 2018
1. January 17th to February 17th, 2018
2. December 17th, 2017 to January 17th, 2018

Which cycle would it apply too?
Here is the correct answer and number 2 is right in general.

For your payment on Jan 4th, the billing dat was Dec 17. It covered your monthly plan (and tab) charge for the period of Dec 17 to Jan 16 and any overage charge for the period of Nov 17 - Dec 16. This is so called post paid and they need to do credit check as you may have high overage charges.

You can always check your bill and it clear states the period it covers.
Zoomer Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20470 upvotes
d_Ave wrote: I got this phone a few days ago and I am going to send it back and stick with my current phone. For what it's worth here are my reasons for those in my position. I got the phone for $360. Phone is fully up to date, which took a few hours. I currently have an LG G3. These are the points that killed it for me.

+ Speakers
+ Charges very fast
+ Build quality

Cons
- No OIS on camera

If there is nothing physically wrong with the phone, why not resell it. There are people here looking for a cheap phone but don't have access to this kind of pricing. Heck, I might be interested myself if the price is right. For all the niggly problems with this phone, it is still a pretty descent buy at this price level.

BTW, the finger print scanner has a bit of lag to it. If the finger is released too quickly, the phone just vibrates and won't unlock. Keep the finger on the scanner for a bit longer and it will respond consistently.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1592 posts
1801 upvotes
Vancouver
Updated to 8.1 and the camera is pretty good now
Nov 30, 2003
511 posts
79 upvotes
Edmonton
Pulled the trigger for $15 x 24 = $360 less $50 bill credit. Keeping my $48 5GB MB/Sask plan. Finally forced to go to Android, replacing my Lumia 950 XL that's overall been a disappointing experience, sad end to my Windows mobile train that I've been on since WP7..
Jun 24, 2009
170 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hello everyone; Just a follow-up. I ended up doing the PM > Koodo (5GB/$40) switch. They just updated the plan to include the Medium Tab (even though it's a $40 plan). So all that trickery I was saying above wasn't necessary anymore. Everything was very simple to get the Essential Phone discount with the PM switch plan.

Went into a Vancouver TELUS/Koodo Store, and had them apply the code "GOKOODO405GBBPO" (https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-p ... 0-2173603/). I think they were a new store, and haven't heard of the deal. But they didn't mind applying the code, and using my number as validation (which worked). I called in prior, and asked if the $360 Essential phone deal would be okay on this plan, and the girl on the phone said yes, and that I could even do it in the store too for the same $0 Medium Essential deal. Anyway in the store, it only showed up as $100 (full price). And they couldn't change it. Which I suspected, and said it's fine.

They started saying that $100 Bill Credit (with the plan) is what is used to cover that $100 phone, and just in store you only get the $100 "hardware" credit. Only online you get the $100 bill credit with this plan. I told them I do not think so, that $100 bill credit is cuz I'm switching from PM (with or without a phone), and showed them my text message which said I get it online or instore. Anyway i said just switch the plan to a BYOD, and I'm sure it'll still show as a $100 bill credit, which they did and it still showed (and they looked very confused). They showed me some 2GB PM Switch plans which only get the $100 online bill credit, but I said those are prob just generic PM Switch plans, not realated to this targeted 12GB/90d PM plan... But anyway, I said just do the BYOD, and I'll get the Essential Phone online after I port the number.

So everything went well getting the 5GB, $40 PM Switch > Koodo plan on a BYOD, with the $100 bill credit (I had to buy the SIM, but I'm sure if I call in I can get the $15 refunded). Then when I got home I registered for the online account, and as soon as I logged in, it showed the $0 Essential Phone "Hot Deal" on medium tab ($100 off Activation Credit). I went ahead and ordered it online, and it gave me the $100 Activation Credit, and another $50 Bill Credit, bring the phone to $310 (on the $360 Medium Tab). Not as good as the targeted $285 (-$175) deal, but fine by me.

Then I also completed my Referral Bonus for another $50 Bill Credit (which just started in the verifying status).

So yea, if anyone wants the $150 off Essential Phone deal with the PM > Koodo Switch, everything works out just fine. You can see if you can negotiate it with the Koodo Kiosk (which the CSR said would be fine, but YMMV, didn't work for me), else just port the number with a BYOD, and then register online and do it the proper way online after you register. It says the Essential Phone Online deal was good until Feb 28 I believe, which is the same date as the $50 Referral.
Mobile: [Telus EPP $50 (20GB,UnlCanCall,UnlCanText)], [Rogers Corp+VoIP.ms $0+$0.85 (8GB,USRoam,PPUCanCall,PPUCanText)], [Freedom $16.17 (12Month 5GB HOME-416MB,UnlCanCall,UnlIntText)]
Internet: [Can-Com $85 (750/100-UnlData)]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Has anyone found a good case and screen protector for this phone. The one I got from amazon was a dud bc the opening for microusb was too small.
For Sale:
Jun 24, 2009
170 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thelasthunter wrote: Has anyone found a good case and screen protector for this phone. The one I got from amazon was a dud bc the opening for microusb was too small.
I haven't got one yet, but I read some people liked the TUDIA Carbon case. Said it's a low footprint and tight to the phone. Is this the one you got on Amazon? I think it's the main one people get.
https://www.amazon.ca/Essential-TUDIA-C ... 0762F2T19/
Mobile: [Telus EPP $50 (20GB,UnlCanCall,UnlCanText)], [Rogers Corp+VoIP.ms $0+$0.85 (8GB,USRoam,PPUCanCall,PPUCanText)], [Freedom $16.17 (12Month 5GB HOME-416MB,UnlCanCall,UnlIntText)]
Banned
Sep 7, 2007
105 posts
39 upvotes
Unfortunately no $175 activation credit here. Just $100 discount, and $50 bill credit. But I pulled the trigger on this because it let me keep my $48/5gb Manitoba plan in Alberta. Unless after order review they decide they're going to pull the plan from me. Haha. We'll see what happens. Looks like a really nice phone though.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1592 posts
1801 upvotes
Vancouver
thelasthunter wrote: Has anyone found a good case and screen protector for this phone. The one I got from amazon was a dud bc the opening for microusb was too small.
I shaved the USB opening wider with a serrated knife. It'll have to due for now since I don't want to go caseless
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
TestAcc wrote: I haven't got one yet, but I read some people liked the TUDIA Carbon case. Said it's a low footprint and tight to the phone. Is this the one you got on Amazon? I think it's the main one people get.
https://www.amazon.ca/Essential-TUDIA-C ... 0762F2T19/
Yeah, I saw that one. Might have to get it. The frustrating thing about this phone is that it is so sexy it's a shame to put it in a case. The flawless screen with no bezels and that ceramic front are some of the prettiest builds I've seen on a phone, minus them being total fingerprint magnets. I'm honestly astounded that phone makers don't tend to come up with their own official cases to accentuate their phones and make more money
For Sale:
Nov 19, 2009
180 posts
44 upvotes
Calgary
TestAcc wrote: Hello everyone; Just a follow-up. I ended up doing the PM > Koodo (5GB/$40) switch. They just updated the plan to include the Medium Tab (even though it's a $40 plan). So all that trickery I was saying above wasn't necessary anymore. Everything was very simple to get the Essential Phone discount with the PM switch plan.

Went into a Vancouver TELUS/Koodo Store, and had them apply the code "GOKOODO405GBBPO" (https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-p ... 0-2173603/). I think they were a new store, and haven't heard of the deal. But they didn't mind applying the code, and using my number as validation (which worked). I called in prior, and asked if the $360 Essential phone deal would be okay on this plan, and the girl on the phone said yes, and that I could even do it in the store too for the same $0 Medium Essential deal. Anyway in the store, it only showed up as $100 (full price). And they couldn't change it. Which I suspected, and said it's fine.

They started saying that $100 Bill Credit (with the plan) is what is used to cover that $100 phone, and just in store you only get the $100 "hardware" credit. Only online you get the $100 bill credit with this plan. I told them I do not think so, that $100 bill credit is cuz I'm switching from PM (with or without a phone), and showed them my text message which said I get it online or instore. Anyway i said just switch the plan to a BYOD, and I'm sure it'll still show as a $100 bill credit, which they did and it still showed (and they looked very confused). They showed me some 2GB PM Switch plans which only get the $100 online bill credit, but I said those are prob just generic PM Switch plans, not realated to this targeted 12GB/90d PM plan... But anyway, I said just do the BYOD, and I'll get the Essential Phone online after I port the number.

So everything went well getting the 5GB, $40 PM Switch > Koodo plan on a BYOD, with the $100 bill credit (I had to buy the SIM, but I'm sure if I call in I can get the $15 refunded). Then when I got home I registered for the online account, and as soon as I logged in, it showed the $0 Essential Phone "Hot Deal" on medium tab ($100 off Activation Credit). I went ahead and ordered it online, and it gave me the $100 Activation Credit, and another $50 Bill Credit, bring the phone to $310 (on the $360 Medium Tab). Not as good as the targeted $285 (-$175) deal, but fine by me.

Then I also completed my Referral Bonus for another $50 Bill Credit (which just started in the verifying status).

So yea, if anyone wants the $150 off Essential Phone deal with the PM > Koodo Switch, everything works out just fine. You can see if you can negotiate it with the Koodo Kiosk (which the CSR said would be fine, but YMMV, didn't work for me), else just port the number with a BYOD, and then register online and do it the proper way online after you register. It says the Essential Phone Online deal was good until Feb 28 I believe, which is the same date as the $50 Referral.
Thanks for your information. Just put the trigger on this phone with my recent $40/5GB plan.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23201 posts
2329 upvotes
Singapore
TestAcc wrote: Hello everyone; Just a follow-up. I ended up doing the PM > Koodo (5GB/$40) switch. They just updated the plan to include the Medium Tab (even though it's a $40 plan). So all that trickery I was saying above wasn't necessary anymore. Everything was very simple to get the Essential Phone discount with the PM switch plan.

After reading your post, I'm tempted to switch too, but I think I might just hang on for a bit longer to see if Koodo will sweeten the deal. I was just charged via autopay about two weeks ago by PM so I'm in no rush to switch.
Jul 12, 2012
75 posts
8 upvotes
LONDON
So is it possible to get this deal if you're not already a Koodo customer?
Jun 24, 2009
170 posts
194 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
iceroll wrote: So is it possible to get this deal if you're not already a Koodo customer?
As mentioned above, you can get the deal as soon as you become a member on a plan that is Medium Tab eligible. Even if you are a brand new member. Just go online and it should show up immediately after you sign in.

If you are not a Koodo member at all (haven't signed into the site), then it'll not show you the deal.

EDIT: This is for the $360 deal (with $50 billcredit). The $285 deal is only for targeted people, and you won't have access to that unless you got a message saying so. I don't know if the $285 deal comes with a $50bill credit too... if not, it's only $25 off the main deal everyone gets.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
3798 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
I can take the deal ($40/5gb) + $100 bill credit, and wait to use my medium tab for a diff promo later on yeah?

I have a PH-1 already .