• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2021 3:06 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 13, 2016
46 posts
178 upvotes

[Koodo] Free US Calling. YMMV!

Huge YMMV on this one. I wanted to get free US calling from Koodo, but the only option they had was the $10/1000 min add-on. The only long distance add on I had included the one with several free countries, part of which included the UK. I spoke to one agent yesterday and he had mentioned we could possibly switch the UK portion of the long distance add on with the US. I ended up getting transferred to another agent who mentioned that was not possible and with enough pushing they were able to finally do it. There was a lot of resistance on Koodo for doing this, so YMMV. See pic for proof.
Images
  • Screenshot_20210204_210823_com.android.chrome.jpg
47 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1506 posts
824 upvotes
anybody else able to do this or was it a total one time exception?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27092 posts
6530 upvotes
Hamilton
Damn. That’s hot
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Nov 26, 2016
262 posts
431 upvotes
That's like next to impossible to get.. HUGE YMMV.

Good for you OP!
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1344 posts
921 upvotes
RIP Koodo support staff.

Here comes the flood of calls.
Oct 16, 2010
132 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Gave it a try and no luck, will try again later.
Feb 8, 2011
434 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto
I called and agent can't find US in any package. i do have 1000 Int min but no US in it.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2990 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
Is this really a big deal?

I use the Google Hangouts app to make free outgoing calls to Canada and the US all the time, even when I'm somewhere in a place like the Philippines.
Sep 8, 2010
120 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
input wrote: Is this really a big deal?

I use the Google Hangouts app to make free outgoing calls to Canada and the US all the time, even when I'm somewhere in a place like the Philippines.
same this also allows inbound calls to a usa number
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1393 posts
1535 upvotes
VANCOUVER

Exactly. Or any of the other free phone line apps. I needed to call Disney World CS to get refunds and apparently they don't have a toll free number so I looked into the USA calling options. In the end I used TextNow which was really good quality and free https://www.textnow.com/downloads

I guess if you can get the add-on for free without any hassle then go for it, but just be aware that there are lots of free US/Canada calling and texting apps available so you can save the effort of calling into koodo
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17090 posts
3352 upvotes
Toronto
StudYork wrote: same this also allows inbound calls to a usa number
This only works for inbound calls if you have a verified Google number AFAIK.
Sep 8, 2010
120 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
audit13 wrote: This only works for inbound calls if you have a verified Google number AFAIK.
Well- yeah.... you need a phone number to receive inbound calls. I set this up like 10 years ago when it was still "Google Talk" so don't rely on me for any current methods to set it up. Just know it works and have been using it for years to communicate with family in the US
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2008
1674 posts
1237 upvotes

Google's changed how you can get a Google Hangouts/Voice number many years ago... you have to first verify with a US mobile number first. I did this back in 2018.

If you have family/friends willing to lend you their number temporaily so you can setup your Gvoice, it's easy to do... otherwise it's a huge pain to setup.
Feb 10, 2004
925 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
tried calling, they said there was a promotion for such a thing but it was last month and has since expired. there's "nothing currently in the system that matches it." :rolleyes:
"I had only one superstition. I made sure to touch all the bases when I hit a home run."
- Babe Ruth
Aug 22, 2017
84 posts
169 upvotes
I wasn't able to get the US calling, but i got an extra 1 gb for $0, and another 1gb for 12 months at $0. Look at photo for proof.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 2.30.24 PM.png
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
2990 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga
sports1 wrote: Google's changed how you can get a Google Hangouts/Voice number many years ago... you have to first verify with a US mobile number first. I did this back in 2018.

If you have family/friends willing to lend you their number temporaily so you can setup your Gvoice, it's easy to do... otherwise it's a huge pain to setup.
If you're only looking to make free outgoing calls, then Google Hangouts does the trick. All you need to do is download the app and login with your Google account.