Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
667 posts
599 upvotes

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

Matches Koodo's previous best price on the Pixel 2 XL. For current and new activations. Can be purchased on tab S as well, $120 up front but same out the door price as tab M, $360.

Walmart offered a $100 GC on top but was limited to new customers only.

No $35 activation fee when buying through Koodo. $360 tab. Keep your plan or cancel. Not much for deals this March/April compared to last year, this is the best I've seen on a good phone. Most everything else has been Tab L + and limited to new activations. Not sure if the deal will get any better, it was announced yesterday that Google stopped making this phone so would imagine once they're gone, they're gone.

Updated: Tab small is now $45 and medium is now minimum $55, not too many are impressed with Koodo's price increases. Just reporting the deal, deal on the phone is good, plans are junk. See post #4 if you would like to negotiate. Cheers.
Last edited by htauthority on Apr 11th, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Thread Summary
Google Pixel 2 XL breakdown:

Advantages: Accurate OLED screen (good screen), 2 year warranty, front firing stereo speakers, fits the right size criteria for most (not too big, not too small), timely software/security updates through Google, active development on XDA (bootloader can be unlocked, phone can be rooted, etc), plenty fast, plenty of Ram (4GB) and storage (64GB), 3500Mah battery lasts as the software is optimized and the camera is excellent. Cloud storage. Water resistant.

Disadvantages: Other flagships have better screens (Pixel 2 XL can be hit and miss on the blue tint and/or black crush issue), no headphone jack but can be achieved through USB C. No SD card slot. No dual SIM. Price, unless you get these types of discounts. Some would prefer 128GB of storage or more since there is no MicroSD card slot. Not water proof.

Android software update (from Android 8.1 to 9):

https://support.google.com/android/answer/7680439
374 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
8452 posts
2599 upvotes
Toronto
Inb4 mikka2017 demands small tab +400GC and a free trip to Bahamas
Koodo $40/8GB
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
If Walmart is still offering (OP says "offered?") the $100 gift card, just sign up and cancel with Walmart. Gotta pay the $35 activation, but you still come out $100-(35+tax) ahead. :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
667 posts
599 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 9:55 am
Haha. We all wish! Here's what I did and this is YMMV. For those on a good medium plan already and/or hardware credits waiting to be spent call in to Koodo loyalty. Ask if you buy the phone if you can keep your old plan. Worked for me and was able to keep my tab small plan but this will be YMMV. Medium tab + hardware credit brings it down to small tab. This may be an extreme YMMV.

If you have a good tab medium plan (no hardware credit), same thing. See if they will let you keep your existing plan before buying the phone. They should be able to do everything over the phone with you. Buy the phone, put you under the $50 min plan then switch you back to your current plan. More doable than the 1st scenario. This is all I got. And what needed to be done to keep me as a customer. No adding lines or any of the other hassles.

Hope it works out for some. The plan is the issue, see if Koodo will work with you on it. $360 for this phone and keeping your good existing plan makes it worthwhile. Lots of ifs. If not buy and cancel if they won;t work with you to keep your business
Last edited by htauthority on Apr 2nd, 2019 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to RFD
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
667 posts
599 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 10:07 am
If Walmart is still offering (OP says "offered?") the $100 gift card, just sign up and cancel with Walmart. Gotta pay the $35 activation, but you still come out $100-(35+tax) ahead. :)
Guess that ended over the weekend and it was for new activations only. Nothing for existing customers.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15904 posts
6033 upvotes
Oakville
htauthority wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 10:12 am
Guess that ended over the weekend and it was for new activations only. Nothing for existing customers.
Yeah, there's almost never gift cards for existing customers (those deals are usually only offered directly from Koodo). But if you're signing up and cancelling any way, technically speaking you're always a new customer. :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1051 posts
140 upvotes
Didn't show up for me initially, but now appears to be working. Very strange system Koodo has.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
667 posts
599 upvotes
stillmatic11 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 10:53 am
Not showing up for me as an existing customer.
Try clearing cookies, cache or using a different browser. Shows for me with or without logging in. Anyone else with the same issue?

Please report back if you are able to do what was mentioned in post #4. Koodo has to start doing something to retain customers. $50 for what they are offering is too much. Not sure if they still have the $10 a month off the bill which makes it a bit better but we on RFD know there is better to be had for plans. Especially those that migrated from Public Mobile awhile back. Many lost their medium tab with the price increase. Would be a good time for Koodo to make that right. Get the phone, keep that existing migration plan. You win. They keep you as a customer.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9791 posts
991 upvotes
Vancouver
Current Koodo sub. Shows up as $390 on medium tab.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1051 posts
140 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 11:02 am
Try clearing cookies, cache or using a different browser. Shows for me with or without logging in. Anyone else with the same issue?

Please report back if you are able to do what was mentioned in post #4. Koodo has to start doing something to retain customers. $50 for what they are offering is too much. Not sure if they still have the $10 a month off the bill which makes it a bit better but we on RFD know there is better to be had for plans. Especially those that migrated from Public Mobile awhile back. Many lost their medium tab with the price increase. Would be a good time for Koodo to make that right. Get the phone, keep that existing migration plan. You win. They keep you as a customer.
Looks like they fixed it. I was getting $390 + Medium Tab and discount wasn't applying after adding to cart and then it was showing up as $390, but it was showing $0 due after adding to cart and now finally it shows $0 and looks to be working properly. I am on the original $40 4 gb PM Migration Plan and was able to add on Tab Medium without a plan change, but I've also never made a HUP before.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1051 posts
140 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 11:08 am
Current Koodo sub. Shows up as $390 on medium tab.
Under Tab Medium, it still says it includes $540 in activation credits even when listed as $390 and when you add to cart the discount should apply still.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1051 posts
140 upvotes
FYI, It's also showing up as $120 up front and $10 Tab Small for those on cheaper plans.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
667 posts
599 upvotes
BlackXstar wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 11:10 am
Really hope Walmart can do upgrade with $100 GC
Nothing is stopping you while you are calling in to ask for a one time $50 or $100 upgrade credit on top. I was told that Koodo will still do larger hardware credits ($150-$200) but those will be limited to tab L and above.
stillmatic11 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 11:10 am
Looks like they fixed it. I was getting $390 + Medium Tab and discount wasn't applying after adding to cart and then it was showing up as $390, but it was showing $0 due after adding to cart and now finally it shows $0 and looks to be working properly. I am on the original $40 4 gb PM Migration Plan and was able to add on Tab Medium without a plan change, but I've also never made a HUP before.
Excellent! Very happy to see this. Koodo has to start working with customers. Nice that they have phones on sale but the price increase on the plans has been garbage. So that's two of us able to keep our existing plans. At least it's a good sign and hope it's not going to be difficult to do for too many.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18014 posts
6045 upvotes
Toronto
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2019 9:55 am
Good one. Include also being able to get the Fido 100% loyalty offering for the tablet plan with unlimited overages. Not sure how Fido and Koodo are related. Neither is the free trip.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $7.50/3GB+tablet
Rogers $25 500U home internet
Tangerine Bank