• Aug 31st, 2019 10:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1450 posts
1021 upvotes
Pickering

[Koodo] Google Pixel 3 $0 Down on Tab Large

Took a gander over to the Koodo website and noticed that the Pixel 3 has changed to the Tab Large, for zero down. Sign of things to come?
Images
  • pixel 3.PNG
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
40 replies
Nov 20, 2017
711 posts
528 upvotes
So in the end... You still pay for the phone on a tab. It would be good to know what the cost of the phone works out to over 24 months on a large tab. I have never been with Koodo or know much about the tab system.

Seems like a lot of companies just bait people in with the hardware, meanwhile the plan is not a good deal. I prefer BYOP and buying the phone out right. The only time I'd consider buying a "tab" plan is if the plan itself was competitive and the actual tab worked out to less than the cost of buying the phone out right
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4550 posts
2493 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: So in the end... You still pay for the phone on a tab. It would be good to know what the cost of the phone works out to over 24 months on a large tab. I have never been with Koodo or know much about the tab system.

Seems like a lot of companies just bait people in with the hardware, meanwhile the plan is not a good deal. I prefer BYOP and buying the phone out right. The only time I'd consider buying a "tab" plan is if the plan itself was competitive and the actual tab worked out to less than the cost of buying the phone out right
Cost of the phone would be $20 x 24 = $480 + $35 activation + ~$5 for a few days of service = $520 plus taxes. I believe they have (or had) a promo to waive the $35 activiation fee, potentially making it $~485+tax.

I doubt your BYOP option is cheaper for a pixel 3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2011
1450 posts
1021 upvotes
Pickering
@TomRFD Please close or merge, thanks.
CTC employee

Sport Chek / Canadian Tire / Party City discount
Telus EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
Bell EPP $50/20GB/BYOD
May 7, 2015
391 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jordanferras wrote: So in the end... You still pay for the phone on a tab. It would be good to know what the cost of the phone works out to over 24 months on a large tab. I have never been with Koodo or know much about the tab system.

Why don’t you spend some time educating your self instead of complaining about something you aren’t aware of
Nov 20, 2017
711 posts
528 upvotes
hvc wrote: Cost of the phone would be $20 x 24 = $480 + $35 activation + ~$5 for a few days of service = $520 plus taxes. I believe they have (or had) a promo to waive the $35 activiation fee, potentially making it $~485+tax.

I doubt your BYOP option is cheaper for a pixel 3.

Thanks for doing the math and for posting something helpful unlike the guy calling me out. I've got 10gb for 60. So the same offering is 75/month with Koodo. Over 24 months it would be 360 more plus tax if I switched plans to get this phone. So overall it ends up being cheaper than buying the phone out right new (based on the inflated figure Koodo provides regarding the MSRP on the phone).

But what if I bought the phone for 600+ tax?
400-off-pixel-3-599-64gb-pixel-3xl-729- ... #p31308328

If I purchased the phone on my own I would be into a phone upgrade for 600 versus 480+360. That is 840 +tax in costs under the Koodo tab plan versus 600 plus tax under my current plan.

To the guy saying I am complaining. I guess you can interpret my previous post as a complaint, but this is something I think other people would consider. Everyone's situation is different so you have to open your mind a little to get where people are coming from. These forums are rich in dialogue. Without raising these issues or complaining, what use would we have for posting here ? Scroll down a thread and you will notice that issues usually get worked out because there's a lot of smart people here willing to chip in and make sense of problems. From a marketing standpoint this place is a gold mine. If they want my business then they'll have to do better. This is still a decent deal though regardless Thumbs Up Sign

moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Why don’t you spend some time educating your self instead of complaining about something you aren’t aware of
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You saved about $130 after taxes if you go through Koodo. Take this information and go.
Nov 20, 2017
711 posts
528 upvotes
I'm not with Koodo and I don't think you guys understand where I am coming from. I am factoring in the additional monthly price at 75 per month versus my current plan at 60 on top of the tab fees. Which ends up costing me 360 + tax more over 2 years. It ends up being more expensive than buying the phone separately and staying where I am at with the 60/month BYOP
Sep 23, 2014
657 posts
925 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Even easier, you can sign up online for a new line separately, get the phone, then cancel the line right away. No one say you have to stay with Koodo for 24 months, and since all phone sold in Canada are unlock, you can use your current plan and provider.

This is like buying the phone outright, but with Koodo. And you still save $$$ compared to buying from Google.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5825 posts
5339 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: I'm not with Koodo and I don't think you guys understand where I am coming from. I am factoring in the additional monthly price at 75 per month versus my current plan at 60 on top of the tab fees. Which ends up costing me 360 + tax more over 2 years. It ends up being more expensive than buying the phone separately and staying where I am at with the 60/month BYOP
These people aren't talking about the plan. They are talking about cancelling the plan immediately and keeping the phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2010
4550 posts
2493 upvotes
Jordanferras wrote: I'm not with Koodo and I don't think you guys understand where I am coming from. I am factoring in the additional monthly price at 75 per month versus my current plan at 60 on top of the tab fees. Which ends up costing me 360 + tax more over 2 years. It ends up being more expensive than buying the phone separately and staying where I am at with the 60/month BYOP
You aren't keeping the plan, if you read the math I posted earlier. There is no extra $360 for switching plans - you keep the plan for a day or so and then cancel. You use your new phone with your current provider on your current plan, since it's unlocked. Nothing changes, except you got a phone for >$100 less than retail.

You cancel your service a few days in: Keep the phone, pay your final Koodo bill which will have a prorated monthly bill (a day or so of service, which I said would be ~$5) plus the remaining tab ($480) and you're set. Cheaper than buying the phone outright from, say, Google. End of story.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5900 posts
1677 upvotes
Mississauga
i understand what you are saying... and that's the downside of getting the 10gb for $60...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5907 posts
2764 upvotes
Toronto
The key is that with Koodo, you can cancel at any time, keep the phone and all you have to pay is the remaining balance on your tab. It's not like other providers where they claw back discounts if you cancel. You don't have to stay for 2 years or even 2 days. You never have to incur any plan costs (other than a day or two) if you don't want to, you can cancel the same day and just pay off the tab.
May 7, 2015
391 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Even when you’re being spoon fed the information you still don’t get it. You want others to understand where you’re coming from? No. You need to Spend some time and educate yourself .
Nov 20, 2017
711 posts
528 upvotes
moeymoeymoeymoe wrote: Even when you’re being spoon fed the information you still don’t get it. You want others to understand where you’re coming from? No. You need to Spend some time and educate yourself .
Unhelpful post^
Manatus wrote: The key is that with Koodo, you can cancel at any time, keep the phone and all you have to pay is the remaining balance on your tab. It's not like other providers where they claw back discounts if you cancel. You don't have to stay for 2 years or even 2 days. You never have to incur any plan costs (other than a day or two) if you don't want to, you can cancel the same day and just pay off the tab.
Helpful post. Upvoted
superfresh89 wrote: These people aren't talking about the plan. They are talking about cancelling the plan immediately and keeping the phone.
another helpful post.

I saw these comments and there was no need to bump the thread. My understanding was you had to stay with Koodo. Rather than insult people how about posting something worth value?
alkaint wrote: Please reread threads from yesterday. The Koodo cancel party has come to an end, you now owe the full device balance when you cancel. Good luck.
Last edited by Jordanferras on Aug 26th, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2014
1262 posts
978 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Manatus wrote: The key is that with Koodo, you can cancel at any time, keep the phone and all you have to pay is the remaining balance on your tab. It's not like other providers where they claw back discounts if you cancel. You don't have to stay for 2 years or even 2 days. You never have to incur any plan costs (other than a day or two) if you don't want to, you can cancel the same day and just pay off the tab.
Please reread threads from yesterday. The Koodo cancel party has come to an end, you now owe the full device balance when you cancel. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3441 posts
3889 upvotes
alkaint wrote: Please reread threads from yesterday. The Koodo cancel party has come to an end, you now owe the full device balance when you cancel. Good luck.
Aside from this article, do you see it officially from Koodo?
https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/ ... m-changes/
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2015
3441 posts
3889 upvotes
crookscastle79 wrote: koodo-churning-shutdown-thread-2257860/
Page 35 theres an image of new contract that mentions "plus phone credit balance"
I would suggest checking your contract.
I see it in my contract, but:
A) This wasn't pointed out by the rep as a new change.
B) It doesn't say "Activation Credit", this is a vague term to credits.
C) My cancellation email does state the following:
<<
What to expect on your next bill:

Prorated recurring monthly charges: recurring charges such as your monthly plan and tab charge will be prorated to reflect only the portion of the month in which your wireless service was still active.
Tab debit: you’ll see this charge only if you have a remaining Tab balance
Additional usage charges: any extra calls, texts and data charges not included with your monthly plan.
Roaming: if you’ve recently used your phone outside of Canada, roaming charges may not immediately show up on your bill. You may receive an additional bill if this happens.
>>
So doesn't talk about activation credit pending.

What option do I have prior to going to return the phone to BB? Calling Koodo to clarify? will the agent know what I am talking about? What if they say you are only getting the tab charge, but I get a surprise on the day off the bill?
Stay strong, situation always looks harder and that it will never end when you are in the middle of it, but remember past experiences, everything has an ending.