Expired Hot Deals

Koodo

Hot! Pre-order LG Valvet + LG Buds + 200 Visa (read desc)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 3:37 pm
121 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1320 posts
1729 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianHummus wrote: Koodo medium tab $120 upfront, you know the rest.
I actually DON'T know the rest. Care to fill us in?
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5196 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Not sure why you're being downvoted. Maybe because people hate the Koodo tab contract?

Seems like a good deal to me. Good battery, huge screen, and decent if not the best CPU
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1598 upvotes
CanadianHummus wrote: Koodo medium tab $120 upfront, you know the rest.
Hahaha Shortest deal description ever Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Nikhilvoid wrote: Not sure why you're being downvoted. Maybe because people hate the Koodo tab contract?

Seems like a good deal to me. Good battery, huge screen, and decent if not the best CPU
People are still salty a year later, mostly the churners who bought multiple phones for resale purposes...

Would this be an upgrade over a S10? Not many reviews I could find.
Apr 24, 2012
188 posts
213 upvotes
Orillia
Sounds like a good deal. However LG's build quality always seems to be behind, and that's from using four LG phones over the last ten years.
Nov 28, 2006
4 posts
17 upvotes
FYI the lg velvet doesn't have the quad dac.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
8680 posts
8286 upvotes
peener wrote: the lg velvet doesn't have the quad dac.
That's unacceptable more than anything else.

Also it has an inferior CPU and an obnoxious screen with curved edges.

The latter is particularly infuriating. Curved edges have absolutely no benefits.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3828 posts
1089 upvotes
GTA
If you can take the full advantage, it looks like a good deal.
$480 + tax - 200 = $342.40, and you have some bonus TWS earbuds.
$342.40 inc. tax for mid-to-high level spec that will likely get 2 OS updates and take good photos, if not great.
Jun 5, 2019
142 posts
233 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote:

Would this be an upgrade over a S10? Not many reviews I could find.
No, it's worse. Anandtech has a thorough review of the V60 and the Velvet. The only advantage the Velvet has is longer battery life, but that's not worth giving up a much better screen and SOC. At least not to me. 5G might be an advantage somewhere, but not in Canada.

The deal itself is pretty good though. LG has overpriced this phone, but the gift card and earbuds help with that.
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
316 upvotes
Velvet not an high end phone.

Spec wise LG8x at costco is better in every aspect.

Bench wise its more comparable to G7 than G8. The GPU adreno 620 vs G7( 630) and G8(640) would impact perf if wou are gaming.

It has a lot of ram and large screen, it a good utility phone, but have wort camera, cpu and gpu than high end phone.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1967 posts
1827 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Without the $200 card, bad deal as there are lots of other phones with the same Snapdragon chipset for like $500.
With the card, decent I think.

And if you wanna go the China route, the Redmi K30 is $406CAD outright including shipping and taxes.
Nov 15, 2016
66 posts
54 upvotes
Edmonton
So basically the promotional items are ~ $400 in value since the FN6 model of earbuds is apparently listed as $150 USD.

Decent mid-ranger all things considered, I just hate how the back cameras are dotted individually instead of having one strip of glass for all 3 cameras.

But what's up with back camera designs lately? Phone manufacturers are having a field day making L shapes and bigger/bulkier designs.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3828 posts
1089 upvotes
GTA
Weezelone wrote: So basically the promotional items are ~ $400 in value since the FN6 model of earbuds is apparently listed as $150 USD.

Decent mid-ranger all things considered, I just hate how the back cameras are dotted individually instead of having one strip of glass for all 3 cameras.

But what's up with back camera designs lately? Phone manufacturers are having a field day making L shapes and bigger/bulkier designs.
I'm not a fan of the back camera locations but at least it's much better than latest Galaxy, iPhone, Xiaomi, Huawei and others. I like Note 10 and V60 much better than their latest crops.
Jul 16, 2020
42 posts
51 upvotes
Is there anything stopping me from buying this phone and:

- paying off the tab immediately
- keeping the headphones
- selling the phone
- keep using my current phone with Koodo?
Last edited by psycholamb on Jul 17th, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2137 posts
544 upvotes
Alberta
Poutinesauce wrote: That's unacceptable more than anything else.

Also it has an inferior CPU and an obnoxious screen with curved edges.

The latter is particularly infuriating. Curved edges have absolutely no benefits.

YES (about the curved edges)!!!
My Tab expires this month. LG G7 still running fine for everything I do. We'll see what the Pixel 5 looks likes, or else I can hold on for another year.
LG has treated me pretty well so far (Nexus 5, LG G5 and the G7), but not a fan of the Velvet.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2003
1214 posts
341 upvotes
Chingyul wrote: YES (about the curved edges)!!!
My Tab expires this month. LG G7 still running fine for everything I do. We'll see what the Pixel 5 looks likes, or else I can hold on for another year.
LG has treated me pretty well so far (Nexus 5, LG G5 and the G7), but not a fan of the Velvet.
I also have the LG G7 still, such an awesome phone. The ONLY advantage that LG had over other phones for so many years until last year was their wide angle camera. They have done it since the G4? or at least the G5 that I had. Also, they were giving out their LG TVs with my G7 as a promo. the g8x at least have their dual screen gimmick, but this one I'm not too sure. I mean, at $960 retail + $200 Visa and LG Tone, I guess it's a more budget option to get into the 2020 flagship'ish 5G phone category maybe.
Aug 10, 2018
7 posts
4 upvotes
Almost had a heart attack thinking this thread was a new koodo data deal. I've been eagerly waiting to see if a new one comes out. Sorry to divert the topic but today WAS the the day last year that they put out a 15 bucks for 10 gigs targeted offer.
Koodo $40 for 8 gigs
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2018
4410 posts
2170 upvotes
What will be the Net cost if I plan to cancel after receiving the phone & GC ?
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5196 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
psycholamb wrote: Is there anything stopping me from buying this phone and:

- paying off the tab immediately
- keeping the headphones
- selling the phone
- keep using my current phone with Koodo?
Nothing, but you can't get a new phone from Koodo for 2 years. If you want a new phone, you'll have to buy it from some other reseller.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
2029 posts
767 upvotes
Damn. Seemed like a good deal for me to switch from telus EPP & S8 cuz EPP offers suck these days, but so far I'm reading that lg tone is pretty mediocre in terms of sound quality. I wanted some bluetooth ear buds that are good for calls too; I noticed that anything that resembles samsung buds are not good and the airpod styles are the best for calls.
Lg tone seemed to be that compromise between the two but their music playback seems to suck and it has no noise cancellation so I will pass I guess :(