Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Hot! Pre-order LG Valvet + LG Buds + 200 Visa (read desc)

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 6:48 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 13, 2015
240 posts
474 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

[Koodo] Hot! Pre-order LG Valvet + LG Buds + 200 Visa (read desc)

Koodo medium tab $120 upfront, you know the rest.
116 replies
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
820 posts
829 upvotes
Montreal
CanadianHummus wrote: Koodo medium tab $120 upfront, you know the rest.
I actually DON'T know the rest. Care to fill us in?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 16, 2011
4111 posts
5281 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Not sure why you're being downvoted. Maybe because people hate the Koodo tab contract?

Seems like a good deal to me. Good battery, huge screen, and decent if not the best CPU
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1223 posts
1136 upvotes
CanadianHummus wrote: Koodo medium tab $120 upfront, you know the rest.
Hahaha Shortest deal description ever Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat
Nikhilvoid wrote: Not sure why you're being downvoted. Maybe because people hate the Koodo tab contract?

Seems like a good deal to me. Good battery, huge screen, and decent if not the best CPU
People are still salty a year later, mostly the churners who bought multiple phones for resale purposes...


Would this be an upgrade over a S10? Not many reviews I could find.
Newbie
Apr 24, 2012
52 posts
27 upvotes
Orillia
Sounds like a good deal. However LG's build quality always seems to be behind, and that's from using four LG phones over the last ten years.
Newbie
Nov 28, 2006
1 posts
11 upvotes
FYI the lg velvet doesn't have the quad dac.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 29, 2012
6291 posts
4706 upvotes
peener wrote: the lg velvet doesn't have the quad dac.
That's unacceptable more than anything else.

Also it has an inferior CPU and an obnoxious screen with curved edges.

The latter is particularly infuriating. Curved edges have absolutely no benefits.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3509 posts
860 upvotes
Home
If you can take the full advantage, it looks like a good deal.
$480 + tax - 200 = $342.40, and you have some bonus TWS earbuds.
$342.40 inc. tax for mid-to-high level spec that will likely get 2 OS updates and take good photos, if not great.
Newbie
Jun 5, 2019
57 posts
83 upvotes
Bubblegum86 wrote:

Would this be an upgrade over a S10? Not many reviews I could find.
No, it's worse. Anandtech has a thorough review of the V60 and the Velvet. The only advantage the Velvet has is longer battery life, but that's not worth giving up a much better screen and SOC. At least not to me. 5G might be an advantage somewhere, but not in Canada.

The deal itself is pretty good though. LG has overpriced this phone, but the gift card and earbuds help with that.
Sr. Member
Dec 13, 2006
522 posts
190 upvotes
Velvet not an high end phone.

Spec wise LG8x at costco is better in every aspect.

Bench wise its more comparable to G7 than G8. The GPU adreno 620 vs G7( 630) and G8(640) would impact perf if wou are gaming.

It has a lot of ram and large screen, it a good utility phone, but have wort camera, cpu and gpu than high end phone.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1429 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Without the $200 card, bad deal as there are lots of other phones with the same Snapdragon chipset for like $500.
With the card, decent I think.

And if you wanna go the China route, the Redmi K30 is $406CAD outright including shipping and taxes.
Newbie
Nov 15, 2016
26 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
So basically the promotional items are ~ $400 in value since the FN6 model of earbuds is apparently listed as $150 USD.

Decent mid-ranger all things considered, I just hate how the back cameras are dotted individually instead of having one strip of glass for all 3 cameras.

But what's up with back camera designs lately? Phone manufacturers are having a field day making L shapes and bigger/bulkier designs.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3509 posts
860 upvotes
Home
Weezelone wrote: So basically the promotional items are ~ $400 in value since the FN6 model of earbuds is apparently listed as $150 USD.

Decent mid-ranger all things considered, I just hate how the back cameras are dotted individually instead of having one strip of glass for all 3 cameras.

But what's up with back camera designs lately? Phone manufacturers are having a field day making L shapes and bigger/bulkier designs.
I'm not a fan of the back camera locations but at least it's much better than latest Galaxy, iPhone, Xiaomi, Huawei and others. I like Note 10 and V60 much better than their latest crops.
Newbie
Jul 16, 2020
2 posts
1 upvote
Is there anything stopping me from buying this phone and:

- paying off the tab immediately
- keeping the headphones
- selling the phone
- keep using my current phone with Koodo?
Last edited by psycholamb on Jul 17th, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1729 posts
270 upvotes
Alberta
Poutinesauce wrote: That's unacceptable more than anything else.

Also it has an inferior CPU and an obnoxious screen with curved edges.

The latter is particularly infuriating. Curved edges have absolutely no benefits.

YES (about the curved edges)!!!
My Tab expires this month. LG G7 still running fine for everything I do. We'll see what the Pixel 5 looks likes, or else I can hold on for another year.
LG has treated me pretty well so far (Nexus 5, LG G5 and the G7), but not a fan of the Velvet.

Top