Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Hot! Pre-order LG Valvet + LG Buds + 200 Visa (read desc)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 6:48 pm
Jan 13, 2005
423 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I buy LG phone for quad DAC as I have invested in wired headphones over the year. This phone doesn't have audio quad DAC. This phone also doesn't have OIS on camera. LG also hasn't done enough to enhance night mode though computational photography. I may have to wait for the V60 to go on sale instead.
Dec 24, 2017
608 posts
499 upvotes
London
Any thoughts of this vs the s8? I got my s8 a little under 2 years ago and was thinking of getting a new phone later this year when deals pop up but the metallic pink on this is REALLY drawing me in lol. I just got galaxy buds so I don't particularly need the LG ones, but working out to less than $350, this is a good price. (on my last upgrade i was able to get koodo to give me a hardware credit... wonder if they'd do that again...). Originally I was thinking I'd just bump up to an s9 but that doesn't seem available anymore. As it stands I can't afford the s10, so I'm not sure how this will go for me. I would like to stay in the S series (I've had bad experiences with the A series an am afraid to go back lol) and haven't owned an LG phone since the pre-smartphone days. Any thoughts on how worthwhile this is or if I should hold out for BF deals ?
Feb 19, 2011
188 posts
76 upvotes
Oshawa
bpboop wrote: Any thoughts of this vs the s8? I got my s8 a little under 2 years ago and was thinking of getting a new phone later this year when deals pop up but the metallic pink on this is REALLY drawing me in lol. I just got galaxy buds so I don't particularly need the LG ones, but working out to less than $350, this is a good price. (on my last upgrade i was able to get koodo to give me a hardware credit... wonder if they'd do that again...). Originally I was thinking I'd just bump up to an s9 but that doesn't seem available anymore. As it stands I can't afford the s10, so I'm not sure how this will go for me. I would like to stay in the S series (I've had bad experiences with the A series an am afraid to go back lol) and haven't owned an LG phone since the pre-smartphone days. Any thoughts on how worthwhile this is or if I should hold out for BF deals ?
I think the big screen and stereo speakers would be the immediate take aways compared to the S8 (though the screen is lower res than the one on the S8, I think). It's a MUCH larger phone then the S8 so you'd have to be prepared for that. Processor is a little more capable than the SD 835 in your S8, and battery life would be better. Overall - it's kind of a mediocre phone by 2020 standards, though if you intend to use the gift card to get the second screen accessory you may end up loving it.
Dec 3, 2018
52 posts
120 upvotes
Good deal but I'm waiting until next Black Friday/Boxing Day to upgrade my device. Honestly with the Tab Bonus (aka "the Churner Burner" as I like to call it haha) I'm not sure if I could commit to a LG phone for 24 months though because when it comes to updates sometimes it seems like LG can't even support their devices for 24 months. I wish Koodo would change the Tab Bonus to being depreciating over 12 months instead of 24 I think that would still burn the churners and let their legit customers still upgrade after a year instead of two (especially with LG phones).
Jan 23, 2014
63 posts
14 upvotes
Surrey
off topic but where can you buy lg v60 outright without getting a plan
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3044 posts
1472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
psycholamb wrote: Is there anything stopping me from buying this phone and:

- paying off the tab immediately
- keeping the headphones
- selling the phone
- keep using my current phone with Koodo?
Yes your wallet.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Feb 1, 2009
59 posts
132 upvotes
London
iverson wrote: I buy LG phone for quad DAC as I have invested in wired headphones over the year. This phone doesn't have audio quad DAC. This phone also doesn't have OIS on camera. LG also hasn't done enough to enhance night mode though computational photography. I may have to wait for the V60 to go on sale instead.
I agree. I assume that the V60 will be $0 on the large tab at the end of the year (like other LG flagship phones).
Sep 12, 2014
31 posts
37 upvotes
Gloucester, ON
Seems like they've fixed the online ordering issue. I just ordered one and it went through.
Nov 16, 2016
815 posts
748 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Poutinesauce wrote: No Canadian carrier is worth signing any contract for save for Zoomer. Get their $36 plan, sell the low end phone you want, and buy whatever phone you want.
Ahem. I got there $36 Plan with 5GB and a LG G5. Sold the phone for $190ish and got myself a newer phone. But it really hurts to get a new phone now days since they all easily cost over a grand.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Nov 16, 2016
815 posts
748 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Compelling phone. I got the A70. I love big screens. LOL
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Mar 27, 2015
4 posts
3 upvotes
Fort McMurray, AB
wow. I used Nexus 4 then G4 then G6 which is my current phone. Lg makes decent phones.
Nov 22, 2017
57 posts
14 upvotes
this or s10 ?

debating which one to pick up as my contract is ending in couple of days.
Mar 18, 2008
497 posts
152 upvotes
fightbriz wrote: The entire LG Product Naming Team needs to be fired!

Velvet? Nobody goes "i got the awesome new LG Velvet!"

Nor does anyone go "woah that's a sweet LG ThinQ!"

Sure. you'll be a complete idiot if you just say Velvet. But if you say Valvet, like in the thread title, then you're Mr. Cool. Say it in a deep Barry White voice and you'll have babes crawling all over you.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
1462 posts
334 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
How do we get the spelling corrected in thread title? It's LG Velvet, not Valvet. So much so my friend thinks this is called Valvet. Lol!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5586 posts
1719 upvotes
If you are staying with Koodo anyway, this is a very good deal. $480 + tax in Ont = $542 - $200 visa = $342 + free buds ($200 Cdn value, should be able to sell for at least $100 if I had to guess). $342 - $100 = $242. In 2020, $242 Cdn in Canada doesn't buy you any kind of phone comparable to this, at least that I know of.