Cell Phones

Koodo - How can I transfer my number from one account plan to another?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2020 2:29 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
737 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax

Koodo - How can I transfer my number from one account plan to another?

I have currently have 2 lines with Koodo, one is my $60 10gb plan and the other is my wife's $45 8gb plan. She recently got a work phone so we no longer need her line. I want to transfer my phone number to the $45 plan and cancel the $60 one. Kood themselves can't, or won't, do it. Can I easily port my number out temporarily and back in to the $45 plan? Not sure how to go about that, advice is appreciated.

Thanks
18 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3611 posts
1043 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
just port A number into B plan, and A plan will cancel, but B plan will have A number. problem solved.
Hi
Sep 15, 2003
236 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Gentile wrote: I have currently have 2 lines with Koodo, one is my $60 10gb plan and the other is my wife's $45 8gb plan. She recently got a work phone so we no longer need her line. I want to transfer my phone number to the $45 plan and cancel the $60 one. Kood themselves can't, or won't, do it. Can I easily port my number out temporarily and back in to the $45 plan? Not sure how to go about that, advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Yes just port out your $60 gb plan to Public mobile preferably, using them allows you to complete the whole process in an hour or so since they are all owned by Telus.
Once you confirm the port has gone through on PM, then you port your old phone number into the Koodo $45 plan and you should be done.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
737 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax
GoodFellaz wrote: just port A number into B plan, and A plan will cancel, but B plan will have A number. problem solved.
Good idea, but got this result "This number is not eligible to be transferred."
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
737 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax
Flipcyde wrote: Yes just port out your $60 gb plan to Public mobile preferably, using them allows you to complete the whole process in an hour or so since they are all owned by Telus.
Once you confirm the port has gone through on PM, then you port your old phone number into the Koodo $45 plan and you should be done.
Thanks. I'll grab a sim at Walmart today
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20777 posts
2158 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, cheapest is port out to Public Mobile of the number you want to keep...that'll cancel the existing Koodo plan.

Then on the Koodo plan you want to keep, port in the Public mobile #...that'll cancel public mobile.

Best is to use public mobile (cheapest) or Koodo prepaid (more expensive).....this let's you port out and in within mins.

Don't use another carrier...you'll face a 30day or 60day block....
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3611 posts
1043 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Gentile wrote: Good idea, but got this result "This number is not eligible to be transferred."
Try calling them over the phone and ask, sometimes the automated stuff on their online portals do not work well.
Hi
Apr 7, 2007
578 posts
374 upvotes
Toronto
ji2o0k wrote: Yup, cheapest is port out to Public Mobile of the number you want to keep...that'll cancel the existing Koodo plan.

Then on the Koodo plan you want to keep, port in the Public mobile #...that'll cancel public mobile.

Best is to use public mobile (cheapest) or Koodo prepaid (more expensive).....this let's you port out and in within mins.

Don't use another carrier...you'll face a 30day or 60day block....
I’ve ported out of Koodo, to Virgin/Lucky and back in within the same day. Matter of fact, within 2 hours. Never an issue.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17073 posts
6904 upvotes
Oakville
H8TR wrote: I’ve ported out of Koodo, to Virgin/Lucky and back in within the same day. Matter of fact, within 2 hours. Never an issue.
And others have been unable to do it, being forced to wait 30 days. Much less hassle to just spend the few bucks and keep it within the Telus ecosystem.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14637 posts
3572 upvotes
Markham
GoodFellaz wrote: just port A number into B plan, and A plan will cancel, but B plan will have A number. problem solved.
Can't do that
You have to port A out to Koodo Prepaid
and then you can immediately port from koodo prepaid into B
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3611 posts
1043 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
theyer BOTH with koodoo already, you should not have to port a postpaid to a prepaid where the heck would u get that analogy from? the back of a cereal box?
Hi
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17073 posts
6904 upvotes
Oakville
GoodFellaz wrote: theyer BOTH with koodoo already, you should not have to port a postpaid to a prepaid where the heck would u get that analogy from? the back of a cereal box?
You can't port between Koodo postpaid accounts. Koodo doesn't allow it. You have to port out to prepaid and then back to postpaid.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Nov 26, 2003
737 posts
140 upvotes
Halifax
So even thought the plan I want to keep already has a phone number assigned to it, I'll be able to port the primary number into it from public mobile? I thought the sim was assigned to one number only.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
3611 posts
1043 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
so instead of port, why not "migrate" your postpaid to a prepaid account, its more efficient use of resources. then you can "port" one account to another, so less porting less back office work to complete this task, nuff said

im also sure its allowed porting between postpaids, just maybe you have to speak to the right people to get it done, anything is possible depends on who you speak with. koodoo is just another fancy name for telus budget brand
Hi
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
14637 posts
3572 upvotes
Markham
GoodFellaz wrote: so instead of port, why not "migrate" your postpaid to a prepaid account, its more efficient use of resources. then you can "port" one account to another, so less porting less back office work to complete this task, nuff said

im also sure its allowed porting between postpaids, just maybe you have to speak to the right people to get it done, anything is possible depends on who you speak with. koodoo is just another fancy name for telus budget brand
No is not, it has been known in RFD since 2013 ,Can't port postpaid to postpaid (same for other carriers)
also no for number swapping (Swapping phone # from one plan with phone # of another plan (both on same carrier))
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro