• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 11:09 pm
Dec 1, 2012
133 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
manho wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 9:52 am
i just spoke with the first CSR that picked up the phone. i just mentioned there was an offer for hardware upgrade discount that i saw before but now it’s gone when i would like to use it (in a very nice way).

i was able to keep my Public Mobile $40/6gb migration plan in medium tab.

it was a $100 off any hardware upgrade offer. it comes out of the initial overheard cost (ie. $350 - $100)
Thanks for confirming so $100 off on medium tab, I managed to score $200 so I paid $150. Though I worked all this out earlier in the week before any of these posts.

I wish I was ever a public mobile customer, I could never convince loyalty to apply that plan, have tried a few times including black friday last year. Either way, I still get 4gb and with the 10% off it's actually $1 cheaper then paying 40+tab+tax.

Now the part of keeping patient waiting for the phone lol..
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11755 posts
2581 upvotes
VANCOUVER
mlallany wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 12:52 pm
Thanks for confirming so $100 off on medium tab, I managed to score $200 so I paid $150. Though I worked all this out earlier in the week before any of these posts.

I wish I was ever a public mobile customer, I could never convince loyalty to apply that plan, have tried a few times including black friday last year. Either way, I still get 4gb and with the 10% off it's actually $1 cheaper then paying 40+tab+tax.

Now the part of keeping patient waiting for the phone lol..
I'm fairly certain the 10% discount is only applied to the plan fee, and not the tab amount. But it's still a better deal than what you had, since you'd be paying 50 cents more for 1 more GB.
Dec 1, 2012
133 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Rogido wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2019 1:15 pm
I'm fairly certain the 10% discount is only applied to the plan fee, and not the tab amount. But it's still a better deal than what you had, since you'd be paying 50 cents more for 1 more GB.
That's what I thought but I must have asked this to the rep like 5 times and each time she mentioned the 10% gets calculated after tab and taxes not before, she sounded fairly confident. I guess we'll see.

Now let's hope we both get phones with the boe screen to avoid the glue issue.
Nov 24, 2012
663 posts
417 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the Mate 20 Pro uses nano SD cards for memory expansion; it is not compatible with micro SD. Given that this device has 128GB internal storage, expansion may not be an issue, but the nano memory standard is exclusive to Huawei at this point in time.
Nov 24, 2012
663 posts
417 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
mobbie wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 10:47 am
You might be right but I highly doubt this is true. The only mandate is that once the phone is paid off it must be free to unlock.
From the CRTC's "The Wireless Code, simplified":

F. Mobile device issues
  1. Unlocking
    1. Any device provided by a service provider to the customer for the purpose of providing wireless services must be provided unlocked.
    2. If a device is, or becomes, locked to a service provider’s network, that service provider must unlock the device, or give the customer the means to unlock the device, upon request, at no charge.
Nov 14, 2014
9 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
After talking to the same CSR for over an hour who said that a x$ hardware upgrade was the absolute max that would be available for my account, he even went so far to say that "He spoke with his team, and even the Loyalty department would not be able to do anything more, it would be impossible". He says he can transfer me to Loyalty but they will tell me the same thing. I say **** it, i've already been on the phone for an hour, transfer me over so I can hear it from them. After waiting on hold for a while longer, get connected to a manager in Loyalty (I asked to see if the other guy actually transferred me to another department or not). Guy was super kind 10/10 service. He immediately says he can do something better for me :rolleyes: :facepalm:
**Note i was probably able to get a better deal from loyalty because they had previously replaced one of my accounts promos with another one without mentioning it (and maybe because i was on the phone for 2 hrs lol)

I love Koodo, but man that was painful and I'll probably never do it again
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16079 posts
6139 upvotes
Oakville
ajdons wrote:
Mar 4th, 2019 8:02 pm
After talking to the same CSR for over an hour who said that a x$ hardware upgrade was the absolute max that would be available for my account, he even went so far to say that "He spoke with his team, and even the Loyalty department would not be able to do anything more, it would be impossible". He says he can transfer me to Loyalty but they will tell me the same thing. I say **** it, i've already been on the phone for an hour, transfer me over so I can hear it from them. After waiting on hold for a while longer, get connected to a manager in Loyalty (I asked to see if the other guy actually transferred me to another department or not). Guy was super kind 10/10 service. He immediately says he can do something better for me :rolleyes: :facepalm:
**Note i was probably able to get a better deal from loyalty because they had previously replaced one of my accounts promos with another one without mentioning it (and maybe because i was on the phone for 2 hrs lol)

I love Koodo, but man that was painful and I'll probably never do it again
In all honesty, it's almost always better to just ask to immediately be transferred to loyalty.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1587 posts
274 upvotes
First time Huawei owner here. So let me get this straight regarding charging. I need the stock Huawei SuperCharge charger to charge at the full 10V@4A = 40W? What speed would I get if I charge it with a QC 3.0 or power IQ or a 30W, or even a 61W iMac USB-C charger? Any recommendation on car charger for max speed?

TIA.
Jun 4, 2012
478 posts
116 upvotes
Calgary
Super happy with my first few battery cycles on this. 30 hrs on battery, 7+ hrs sot mostly LTE connection. Second day 18 hrs on battery, 8+ hrs sot with 20% left mostly wifi. Trying to put it through its paces before I cancel my line.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1276 posts
337 upvotes
Edmonton
man I'm thinking of returning my pixel and calling to see if they would give me the cred. 150 with tab medium is great. Whats the overall success rate in the thread? pretty hit and miss?

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Oct 13, 2007
426 posts
45 upvotes
could anyone confirm if it is unlocked that has just recieved this? From my reading of crtc that should be the case.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1094 posts
205 upvotes
Halifax
m2teach wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 2:24 pm
could anyone confirm if it is unlocked that has just recieved this? From my reading of crtc that should be the case.
My understanding is that is should be unlocked or have an unlock code. Worst case scenario, you call the carrier for an unlock code.
Mar 29, 2005
926 posts
293 upvotes
m2teach wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 2:24 pm
Yes, all phones sold in Canada must be unlocked by law.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1733 posts
372 upvotes
The 200 on tab large 480 which is 680 = $768 plus tax looks good, some say here if you qualify for the large tab -how do they determine qualification for the large tab? I am new to Koodo, have great credit looking to get this at $768 (any additional charges?) pay off full, what is the best way? Moreover bought all my recent phones in China so not aware of many of these phone plans purchases here. Moreover I would be using this phone in China as well, does it have all the required bands 4 china or is this version not.

Still pondering on whether I should wait longer for further price drop or longer for 5G phones.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1276 posts
337 upvotes
Edmonton
astrotrain wrote:
Mar 5th, 2019 3:11 pm
The 200 on tab large 480 which is 680 = $768 plus tax looks good, some say here if you qualify for the large tab -how do they determine qualification for the large tab? I am new to Koodo, have great credit looking to get this at $768 (any additional charges?) pay off full, what is the best way? Moreover bought all my recent phones in China so not aware of many of these phone plans purchases here. Moreover I would be using this phone in China as well, does it have all the required bands 4 china or is this version not.

Still pondering on whether I should wait longer for further price drop or longer for 5G phones.
tab qualification depends on the plan you take. Large tab eligible plans are usually more expensive for what you get. I'm on the new Lunar plan 6g/55 -5 (24month). its only eligible for small/medium.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?