Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] HUAWEI Mate 20 Pro $350 on Tab Medium

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 11:09 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1778 posts
391 upvotes
For my next phone, really interested in a Huawei device, the mate pro is up my alley. My last phone was Samsung, they are nicely designed and somewhat durable but the OS updates from Samsung are nonexistent, I am still stuck on Android 6 (jesus!). Once these guys move on to their next model, they forget all their previous models and customers! I heard rumours that Huawei has better OS support over the years, is this true? The S10+ looks great but support issues, going to pass.

Moreover, for all these 2018/19 devices is there a substantial lingering concern they are obsolete and loss of value tech, since 5G is rolling out in China even now in some select cities and the rest of the world in nxt two years, who can unload a non 5G phone without substantial loss when that time comes -soon?
May 12, 2004
778 posts
89 upvotes
If you're thinking Huawei is faster at updating their devices compared to Samsung, you're sadly mistaken. When you're talking about flagship devices, Samsung is a speed racer compared to Huawei. Most Chinese manufacturers are terrible. Best is OnePlus by far. Xiaomi is decent if you're will to be on their Dev track.
Nov 24, 2016
781 posts
816 upvotes
astrotrain wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 7:53 am
For my next phone, really interested in a Huawei device, the mate pro is up my alley. My last phone was Samsung, they are nicely designed and somewhat durable but the OS updates from Samsung are nonexistent, I am still stuck on Android 6 (jesus!). Once these guys move on to their next model, they forget all their previous models and customers! I heard rumours that Huawei has better OS support over the years, is this true? The S10+ looks great but support issues, going to pass.

Moreover, for all these 2018/19 devices is there a substantial lingering concern they are obsolete and loss of value tech, since 5G is rolling out in China even now in some select cities and the rest of the world in nxt two years, who can unload a non 5G phone without substantial loss when that time comes -soon?
if you want fast updates get a pixel or an apple device. Most phones that require carriers to push updates to you will be super slow.
Penalty Box
Jan 27, 2014
4314 posts
1425 upvotes
astrotrain wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 7:53 am
You will never be able to keep up with technology especially when phones are launched every year.
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
supremePug wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 7:22 am
mi mix 3 global version has all Canadian bands including freedom according to kimovil website
Previous Mi Mix, Mi 8 and Mi 9 also has broad LTE bands for Canada, but most Xiaomi phones have problem with Netflix HD. There's a fix coming but only for some F1 apparently.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1353 posts
369 upvotes
Edmonton
tntdeal wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 3:48 pm
Previous Mi Mix, Mi 8 and Mi 9 also has broad LTE bands for Canada, but most Xiaomi phones have problem with Netflix HD. There's a fix coming but only for some F1 apparently.
the better xiaomi phones are still a bit pricey to acquire aren't they? I see mi mix 3 at 700ish. presume the mi 9 will be high.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Dec 10, 2014
228 posts
101 upvotes
BC
Tennoh wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 8:38 am
If you're thinking Huawei is faster at updating their devices compared to Samsung, you're sadly mistaken. When you're talking about flagship devices, Samsung is a speed racer compared to Huawei. Most Chinese manufacturers are terrible. Best is OnePlus by far. Xiaomi is decent if you're will to be on their Dev track.
based on what you wrote, i have a very hard time believing you actually tried huawei's phone. I ultimately picked mate 20 pro in the end and gave away my s9+ and op6t to my gf & bro. They're all great phones, but there's just no comparison w/ mate 20 pro yet, the only thing i'd compare it with is the s10+ and it's not even out yet.
Mar 7, 2011
37 posts
11 upvotes
London ON
I noticed on my order confirmation they call the phone's colour 'Purple". Do they mean 'Twilight' or is there an acutual purple Mate 20 Pro?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1353 posts
369 upvotes
Edmonton
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 4:46 pm
based on what you wrote, i have a very hard time believing you actually tried huawei's phone. I ultimately picked mate 20 pro in the end and gave away my s9+ and op6t to my gf & bro. They're all great phones, but there's just no comparison w/ mate 20 pro yet, the only thing i'd compare it with is the s10+ and it's not even out yet.
I think he was just referring to how fast they receive updates. not the actual speed of the hardware. The mate 20 pro I agree is uncontested hardware wise until S10 release.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
cjstk90 wrote:
What's better with the Mate 20 Pro that makes the other phones no comparison?
May 12, 2004
778 posts
89 upvotes
cjstk90 wrote:
Take it in context of astrotrain message of updates to phone. I never talked about quality of hardware. Do a search on companies updates track records and you'll see how far Huawei is from being fast. If you want to talk about specific Huawei device by all means. I'm in this thread because it's a good deal.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1353 posts
369 upvotes
Edmonton
tntdeal wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 4:51 pm
What's better with the Mate 20 Pro that makes the other phones no comparison?
Pretty sure the Kirin 980 is faster and the camera is still king of the hill. That's probably what he was referring to.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 20, 2007
575 posts
87 upvotes
OP... You should change the thread title to "$350 down ($710 tot)"... since this is not in any way $350 for this phone. :facepalm:

(or change "on" to "plus Tab Medium")
Last edited by TSM on Feb 28th, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.