• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2019 11:09 pm
Nov 7, 2017
124 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tennoh wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 8:38 am
If you're thinking Huawei is faster at updating their devices compared to Samsung, you're sadly mistaken. When you're talking about flagship devices, Samsung is a speed racer compared to Huawei. Most Chinese manufacturers are terrible. Best is OnePlus by far. Xiaomi is decent if you're will to be on their Dev track.
I had the P20 pro which I got through the BF deal. Now this is my first Huawei, so like you, I wasn't expecting timely updates. But to my surprise, in the third week of January, I got the Pie update with January security patch. To me, for a phone that isn't a pixel, thats pretty good. That being said, a couple weeks later I ended up getting the Pixel 2XL deal and now the P20 pro is just sitting on my table. Stock android > EMUI
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1357 posts
370 upvotes
Edmonton
Nev0513 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:10 pm
I had the P20 pro which I got through the BF deal. Now this is my first Huawei, so like you, I wasn't expecting timely updates. But to my surprise, in the third week of January, I got the Pie update with January security patch. To me, for a phone that isn't a pixel, thats pretty good. That being said, a couple weeks later I ended up getting the Pixel 2XL deal and now the P20 pro is just sitting on my table. Stock android > EMUI
hrm I was more tempted by the P20 pro because of camera but ended up with pixel XL and still wondering about that camera.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Dec 10, 2014
228 posts
101 upvotes
BC
Tennoh wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 4:56 pm
Take it in context of astrotrain message of updates to phone. I never talked about quality of hardware. Do a search on companies updates track records and you'll see how far Huawei is from being fast. If you want to talk about specific Huawei device by all means. I'm in this thread because it's a good deal.
samsung is one of the slowest to update, what source are you using to get the info from? huawei is no where slower than samsung, and to say that they're a "speed racer" compared to each other makes me doubt you. Huawei updates bi-monthly. So to believe your statement, s9+ should've had updates every month or week to make it feel like a speed racer, however it's not even close.
freewheelin76 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 4:57 pm
Pretty sure the Kirin 980 is faster and the camera is still king of the hill. That's probably what he was referring to.
aside from those, battery life stands out the most, and also how quick it charges.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1357 posts
370 upvotes
Edmonton
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:21 pm
samsung is one of the slowest to update, what source are you using to get the info from? huawei is no where slower than samsung, and to say that they're a "speed racer" compared to each other makes me doubt you. Huawei updates bi-monthly. So to believe your statement, s9+ should've had updates every month or week to make it feel like a speed racer, however it's not even close.

aside from those, battery life stands out the most, and also how quick it charges.
If I could have found an affordable deal I would have went mate 20 pro for sure. I agree.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
freewheelin76 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 4:57 pm
Pretty sure the Kirin 980 is faster and the camera is still king of the hill. That's probably what he was referring to.
The chip performance is a mixed bag of faster here and slower there. It's just the same generation as the SD 845, no more no less. The camera indeed has some interesting features, but the advantage is really minuscule and won't show up on photos intended for social media, except for bragging. I don't see anything screaming "no comparison" there.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1357 posts
370 upvotes
Edmonton
tntdeal wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:35 pm
The chip performance is a mixed bag of faster here and slower there. It's just the same generation as the SD 845, no more no less. The camera indeed has some interesting features, but the advantage is really minuscule and won't show up on photos intended for social media, except for bragging. I don't see anything screaming "no comparison" there.
yeah I guess I have a specific need for the camera. Traveling to foreign countries. being able to leave my canon at home and still get telephoto shots and wide angle.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:21 pm
Battery life is usually YMMV. While the M20 Pro has higher capacity battery, GSMArena tested it to be not as good as either of your other phones,

The biggest letdown of the M20P is the screen. For a camera oriented phone, the screen is a disappointment for being quite poorly calibrated for colour reproduction, while your 2 other phones are top notch in this respect.
Dec 10, 2014
228 posts
101 upvotes
BC
tntdeal wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 6:11 pm
Battery life is usually YMMV. While the M20 Pro has higher capacity battery, GSMArena tested it to be not as good as either of your other phones,

The biggest letdown of the M20P is the screen. For a camera oriented phone, the screen is a disappointment for being quite poorly calibrated for colour reproduction, while your 2 other phones are top notch in this respect.
You're basically nitpicking at this point. A phone with minuscule advantage with disappointing screen and bunch of other flaws, somehow wins phone of the year by GSMA and GLOMO etc. What does that say about other phones??

Also I don't know how GSMA tested and concluded that mate 20 pro has worse battery than s9+ and op6t, as it wasn't even close based on my experience. Mate 20 pro was so far ahead in battery life that it felt unnecessary to compare them. I agree battery life is YMMV, but majority of youtube battery drain test also has mate 20 pro lasting the longest, with exception from s10+. Sure, there's some videos that show otherwise, but general consensus shows them lasting the longest. So i guess majority of those videos are either bogus or the phone itself actually has great battery.
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 6:36 pm
You're basically nitpicking at this point. A phone with minuscule advantage with disappointing screen and bunch of other flaws, somehow wins phone of the year by GSMA and GLOMO etc. What does that say about other phones??

Also I don't know how GSMA tested and concluded that mate 20 pro has worse battery than s9+ and op6t, as it wasn't even close based on my experience. Mate 20 pro was so far ahead in battery life that it felt unnecessary to compare them. I agree battery life is YMMV, but majority of youtube battery drain test also has mate 20 pro lasting the longest, with exception from s10+. Sure, there's some videos that show otherwise, but general consensus shows them lasting the longest. So i guess majority of those videos are either bogus or the phone itself actually has great battery.
Not disputing your battery life, I just said it's YMMV and cited proof on GSMA to say it's YMMV. I'd still take GSMA test results over your words any days.

About nitpicking, I saw nothing screaming "no comparison" and asked for what made you think so and you've brought up nothing so far. All the phone awards are pretty much meaningless when there has been concrete info on why the M20P is not much better, let alone "no comparison". Maybe you should look up on how good or how bad this phone's screen is before saying "no comparison". It's OK when you chose to believe in those awards without knowing the details, but I myself wouldn't.
Apr 25, 2005
755 posts
181 upvotes
Nev0513 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 5:10 pm

I have been sporting a P20 from June to December and got myself a P20 pro since December and I'm still using one till now.
I came from an S7 and the Huawei experience was night and day different. I've been using Android for 10 years and all my previous Android phones which have generally been on the higher end typically slow down after two three months of usage and to some degree grind to a slow halt.
My two Huawei phones have been the only ones that haven't been subjected to the slowdowns. I came from an S6 to an S7 and they Huawei experience was way way better.
In January of this this year I got myself an S9 (BB deal) and surprisingly and to my utter disappointment, I could not stand Samsung and their latest generation phone was really slow right from the getgo. So I went back to the P20 Pro and still loving the experience.
I yet have to find out what it is that I do to my phones to get them boggled down so much but for whatever reason Huawei is not budging in luckily.

I'm seriously considering getting the Mate 20 pro but the curved screen is the only thing keeping me away from it as I did not enjoy the S9 curved edges whatsoever.

Now I have not had a pure Android phone in sometime. I used to hate the pure Android experience and I preferred the UI that was tacked on by vendors such as HTC,LG, Samsung etc.
I am also curious about the pixel 2 XL. What is it aside from performance improvements (which is a moot point for me on the P20 pro) the stock Android UI has that is so compelling?
I might have to buy myself a pixel 2 XL so I can experience it first-hand but I rather not shut out even more money ;-)
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1780 posts
391 upvotes
ar2020 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 3:44 pm
You will never be able to keep up with technology especially when phones are launched every year.
Yeah, but we are not talking about trivial matters like notch or no notch, we are debating is 4.5 gpbs on 5G vs 3xx mbps of 4G. This quite a leapfrog, that is why I am bringing up getting any 2018 phone and questioning their resale value since 5G rollout is looming.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4020 posts
16669 upvotes
TORONTO
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 6:36 pm

I think * he’s downplaying the battery life on this thing. I’ll take Anandtech’s in depth review over any forum user opinion.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13503/th ... -review/13

Besides Anandtech, 99% of the reviews out there are praising its battery life. He can keep hanging onto GSMA.
astrotrain wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 8:09 pm
Yeah, but we are not talking about trivial matters like notch or no notch, we are debating is 4.5 gpbs on 5G vs 3xx mbps of 4G. This quite a leapfrog, that is why I am bringing up getting any 2018 phone and questioning their resale value since 5G rollout is looming.
5G rollout will begin this year but the spectrum auction and network buildout means realistically you’ll be looking at 2020 real-world use. Better off buying what you need right now. Play the waiting game on technology and you’ll end up waiting.
Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 2nd, 2019 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name calling
May 15, 2015
78 posts
14 upvotes
GTA
Ugh, received mine from Koodo but had a lot of dead pixels along the edge of the screen, sending it back.
Dec 10, 2014
228 posts
101 upvotes
BC
tntdeal wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 6:52 pm
Not disputing your battery life, I just said it's YMMV and cited proof on GSMA to say it's YMMV. I'd still take GSMA test results over your words any days.

About nitpicking, I saw nothing screaming "no comparison" and asked for what made you think so and you've brought up nothing so far. All the phone awards are pretty much meaningless when there has been concrete info on why the M20P is not much better, let alone "no comparison". Maybe you should look up on how good or how bad this phone's screen is before saying "no comparison". It's OK when you chose to believe in those awards without knowing the details, but I myself wouldn't.
If you're gonna criticize the phone, at least try it out cuz you're just making yourself sound silly. *
There's concrete info why mate 20 pro is better than s9+ and op6t. That's fact. You couldn't even write that yourself cuz ur ego has the better of you, "not much better" really? just say it's better, it's okay. It's a more recent phone, it's generally suppose to be better.
Maybe you should try out the phone yourself, instead of telling me to look up on info on stuff to nitpick about. i don't need to believe in those awards either, because im happy with the phone, hence why i chose to keep it over s9+ and op6t. If the phone's screen was terrible as you claim or "not much better" in general, i wouldn't have kept the mate 20 pro, it's simple as that.
I don't know what your problem is dude, but if you do not like mate 20 pro, just don't get it? lol. It's that simple. You can choose to ignore majority of the positive reviews, and the awards, and continue to only focus on the odd reviews that fits your agenda. Enjoy your day sir
Last edited by MrDisco on Mar 2nd, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: unnecessary
Feb 28, 2008
786 posts
313 upvotes
Canada
cjstk90 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2019 9:40 pm
If you're gonna criticize the phone, at least try it out cuz you're just making yourself sound silly. *
There's concrete info why mate 20 pro is better than s9+ and op6t. That's fact. You couldn't even write that yourself cuz ur ego has the better of you, "not much better" really? just say it's better, it's okay. It's a more recent phone, it's generally suppose to be better.
Maybe you should try out the phone yourself, instead of telling me to look up on info on stuff to nitpick about. i don't need to believe in those awards either, because im happy with the phone, hence why i chose to keep it over s9+ and op6t. If the phone's screen was terrible as you claim or "not much better" in general, i wouldn't have kept the mate 20 pro, it's simple as that.
I don't know what your problem is dude, but if you do not like mate 20 pro, just don't get it? lol. It's that simple. You can choose to ignore majority of the positive reviews, and the awards, and continue to only focus on the odd reviews that fits your agenda. Enjoy your day sir
There are better but also worse things on this phone that you're just so blind to see. Assuming later was better and spewing hyperbole "no comparison" without knowing what exactly the details involved behind it, except latest and greatest, is just showing your herd mentality. Knowing what's behind your hyperbole is not nitpicking, FYI.

I've already tried it out and the screen is terrible with blue/grey tint and uneven illumination. The curved screen is just bad, showing darker shade on the sides even when looking straight on at it. This is in addition to such a poor colour accuracy for the greatest phone on earth. You're just too blind with the latest is greatest thing to see it.