• Jun 22nd, 2019 7:19 pm
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
765 upvotes
Moncton
EananC641158 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:05 am
LOL at people thinking these will reach sub $150. Maybe in 2/3 years.
You haven’t really been paying attention to the news have you. These phones will be long gone within months at whatever price they can get for them.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
10753 posts
1436 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:08 am
You haven’t really been paying attention to the news have you. These phones will be long gone within months at whatever price they can get for them.
things may change...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3533 posts
1257 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote:
You haven’t really been paying attention to the news have you. These phones will be long gone within months.
To be fair, people buy old devices for $150+ all the time. Many of which never see any security patches. The bulk of the remaining shit to fall on Huawei's head affects future devices, not current ones.
Nov 20, 2017
665 posts
582 upvotes
Toronto
KevinC268 wrote:
Ah yes I live under a rock.

You clearly dont know the used phone market and cost of production of a phone.

And you realize things can change regarding the Huawei situation...
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3116 posts
1867 upvotes
EananC641158 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:05 am
LOL at people thinking these will reach sub $150. Maybe in 2/3 years.
They may worth more if bootloader can be unlocked.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1071 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jep4444 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:03 am
A security suite will protect you in some capacity but they tend to be much better at detecting known attacks than predicting future ones. Once a single vulnerability is exposed, its possible to build a backdoor into the system and there is very little avast can do about it unless it locates the backdoor, typically by the time it does, its potentially too late. Security patches are extremely important, especially because once the patch is out, it needs to be assumed that the vulnerability is known, so it is only a matter of time before it is a potential attack vector and it is much easier to break a system than it is to protect one.
You are completely correct, and my responses have come off as ignorant I know, I was just on mobile so typing out a long explanation is too laborious for me.

Now that I'm on a laptop, I can properly explain my stance. I know that I am taking a larger risk by using a phone that no longer receives security updates, however I will be taking as many necessary precautions as required to protect myself such as antivirus software and careful web surfing.

I am opening myself up to more risk by going with the Huawei, but the P30 is really the only phone that satisfies my requirements
Jul 17, 2018
247 posts
202 upvotes
Also Huawei probably realizes they're screwing over their NA customers for the time being and might decide to unlock the bootloader's. Nobody can say for sure what their plan is.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3533 posts
1257 upvotes
Toronto
chevyz07 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:12 am
You are completely correct, and my responses have come off as ignorant I know, I was just on mobile so typing out a long explanation is too laborious for me.

Now that I'm on a laptop, I can properly explain my stance. I know that I am taking a larger risk by using a phone that no longer receives security updates, however I will be taking as many necessary precautions as required to protect myself such as antivirus software and careful web surfing.

I am opening myself up to more risk by going with the Huawei, but the P30 is really the only phone that satisfies my requirements
Fair enough. It just felt like you were downplaying the risk and not everyone who frequents a forum like this has a strong education level when it comes to computer security.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
BuyNowAndThinkLater wrote:
May 27th, 2019 12:06 pm
Just look at Xiaomi though. A ton of their user base asked for unlocked bootloader's and they gave them that in like under a month.
That's fine, but that was a community goodwill thing rather than a business decision, Xiaomi wants to run ads in MIUI and get revenue from that, and knows that less than 1% of its userbase is going to unlock the bootloader and install custom ROMs.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10001 posts
1518 upvotes
It is well known in the industry that Huawei started off as a huge copycat, no surprise there. But now it is actually leading the industry in a few area. This is how hi-tech industry work, nobody would invent everything from scratch, Android itself had borrowed a lot from iOS. And Windows from Apple, Apple Lisa from Parc Alto...etc. Huawei definitely went overboard in its early year, we complained but government didn't bother to listen. Funny when Huawei actually starting to behave and US is biting the hell out of it. Why? Because it now owns the 5G technology and it is a legit threat.

Having said that, I agree that users should think twice before buying a new Huawei phone now. But those who already own one should not be worried as you will probably get as much support from it compared to other Android phones in the market.
Triple3BBB wrote:
May 27th, 2019 11:27 am
Read this article before you even think of buying anything from Huawei

https://www.wsj.com/articles/huaweis-ye ... 1558756858
Last edited by 82 on May 27th, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
akito925 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 10:19 am
Waiting on a fire sale.. $50 phone to play games
While I think that sub $200 is likely in the near future for many of the Huawei phones.. I can assure you that you will never buy this phone for $50 at retail. Maybe used in 3-4 years on Kijiji.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11935 posts
2708 upvotes
VANCOUVER
82 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 12:13 pm
It is well known in the industry that Huawei started off as a huge copycat, no surprise there. But now it is actually leading the industry in a few area. This is how hi-tech industry work, nobody would invent everything from scratch, Android itself had borrowed a lot from iOS. And Windows from Apple, Apple Lisa from Parc Alto...etc. Huawei definitely went overboard in its early year, we complained but government didn't bother to listen. Funny when Huawei actually starting to behave and US is biting the hell out of it. Why? Because it now owns the 5G technology and it is a legit threat.

Having said that, I agree that users should think twice before buying a new Huawei phone now. But those who already own one should not be worried as you will probably get as much support from it compared to other Android phones in the market.
I'm thinking the same...if anything, good condition, used Huawei flagship-grade phones should hold their value on the resale market, better than other brands.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2042 posts
296 upvotes
Kurtz7834 wrote:
May 27th, 2019 12:07 pm
Without access to core Google apps, their future hardware is dead outside of the Chinese market. To those who think that these phones won't get to $150 or lower, they are in for a rude surprise. These phones are orphaned hardware that is unlikely to get long term support, there is no financial incentive for Huawei to do so.
Google and you will find that there is a wave of order cancellations both from telcoms and end-users.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12831 posts
3493 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
May 27th, 2019 12:28 pm
I'm thinking the same...if anything, good condition, used Huawei flagship-grade phones should hold their value on the resale market, better than other brands.
All Android phones depreciate at light speed. I wouldn't buy anything Huawei right now, much bigger price drops are coming soon. As I said earlier, unless Google backs off its ban, the Huawei brand and North America presence is dead.