• Feb 25th, 2018 4:09 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sep 10, 2010
120 posts
537 upvotes
Toronto

[Koodo] $40 for 4GB - Targetted

A friend who is a public mobile customer received a text that his $120/90days/12GB plan will increase by $10 from March. However, if he switch to Koodo, he can have 4GB/$40.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Feb 15th, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
Thread Summary
Please upvote this thread for awareness, and don't downvote OP!
Everyone needs to file complaints!
Share your frustration where it might matter 🤔

Express your concerns to TELUS

Public Mobile Facebook

Telus Facebook
Telus Twitter

(Although, be mindful that during the sign-up process for this plan, you clicked "I agree" to their Terms of Service which states that the plan can be increased anytime with 30 days notice.)

Filing Complaints DO Work

https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/02/15/publ ... lan-koodo/
In response to MobileSyrup‘s request for comment, a representative for the CCTS said the commission could not comment on the case but noted:

“I can tell you that the role of the CCTS is to ensure that providers respect the commitments made to their customers, and if we receive complaints regarding price changes/increases we will look into them and ensure that customers receive what they were promised.”

File a Complaint!

CCTS (CRTC) COMPLAINT

COMPETITION BUREAU COMPLAINT - takes < 90 seconds to complete online (choose "Contract" => "Wireless")

STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO FILE COMPLAINT WITH CCTS!

1. Select Contract
2. Select Wireless
3. When did you become aware? Feburary 15, 2018
4. Select Public Mobile
5. Select Personal
6. Answer: YES that you have tried to resolve this with the company (complain to Public Mobile forums too!)
7. Answer: NO that there are no other organizations which have the authority to compensate a customer for losses currently helping you to resolve this complaint.

8. You can answer with the following or change it as follows:

Please provide the details of your complaint. Please ensure that you describe, in as much detail as possible, the steps you took to resolve the issue with your service provider and your service provider’s response. *
My plan provided me with 12gb of data for for $120/every 3 months. They are increasing my bill to $150/3 months starting March 20th. This is inconsistent and not what was promised when the advertisement indicated the following "If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises". Link to website to this quote: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... td-p/77350

What do you consider to be a reasonable resolution to your dispute? *
To allow me to keep my plan as I have fulfilled my side of the contract to continue to be an active customer at $120/3 months for the same service I was guaranteed without having to switch to another carrier.

9. Enter your personal info

10. Attach a photo of the public mobile post screenshot if you want.

THATS IT, TAKES 2 MINUTES. FILE A COMPLAINT!

Link to Public Mobile term on the 40$/4gb plan: https://productioncommunity.publicmobil ... /m-p/77350

Switching from Public Mobile to Koodo
For those thinking of switching, here are the potential "conditions", based on what was offered from people who got the offer last week:

Here is the fine print from Koodo when I try to use their promo code.
Roaming rates apply outside of Canada. Included data does not roll over at the end of each month.
Includes international text messages sent and received anywhere in Canada. Availability of service will vary by country and is subject to change without notice. Excludes premium and subscription-based messages. Additional data charges apply depending on picture size when roaming in the U.S. and internationally. Picture messaging is supported by BlackBerry smartphone with a SIM card only if a BlackBerry is added to a Koodo plan or a Koodo data plan is chosen. Picture messaging works only if data is turned on.
Unlimited local calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday. For Canada-wide plan, unlimited Canada-wide calling from 5pm to 8am, Monday through Thursday, and 5pm Friday to 8am Monday.
Rate plan available for Manitoba and Saskatchewan residents with Manitoba & Saskatchewan area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
Rate plan available for Quebec residents with Quebec area codes only. Subscribers moving to another province will be transferred to an applicable rate plan for that location.
Calls must be made and completed within Canada. Applies to calls made between phones on the same account.
The requirements to get the $100 credit:
Subject to credit approval.
While supplies last.
Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer.
Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.

For anyone that thinks $40/month at Koodo is the same thing:

1. Koodo is post-paid (not pre-paid)
2. Your 4gb/month do not roll-over
3. All your credits are lost. (e.g. discounts for auto re-new, referrals, loyalty)

You do gain more services by switching, such as: Nationwide Call, actual phone customer service, roaming features, and a phone subsidy tab. And the data unlike other postpaid carriers is "shock free", so you won't have to worry about unsuspected data overages
334 replies
Dec 4, 2016
263 posts
122 upvotes
Yep, just got the same, 4GB unlimited canada.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2009
1026 posts
507 upvotes
Halifax
Just got the same thing. This is for those who got the $120/90days w 12GB of data promo a year or two ago.

They're increasing the price from $120 per 90 days to $150 per 90 days.

Unreal. Should be illegal to increase that much at once.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2010
1478 posts
943 upvotes
Canada
Is the $40 for 4GB for the existing Public Mobile customers only? Or anybody can get this plan?
May 5, 2016
513 posts
504 upvotes
I was paying $33 a month so this sucks
Dec 4, 2016
263 posts
122 upvotes
Even with referral credits knocking my price down to 25 prior to the increase... this is tempting to switch. Wish I swapped for the $60/10GB one had I known about this.
Aug 12, 2014
293 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Exactly, I just got the SMS (with offer to move to Koodo)

Will wait for some recommendations from deal experts here in the forums on how to proceed!
sonician wrote: Just got the same thing. This is for those who got the $120/90days w 12GB of data promo a year or two ago.

They're increasing the price from $120 per 90 days to $150 per 90 days.

Unreal. Should be illegal to increase that much at once.
Last edited by rightthing on Feb 15th, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 2, 2010
466 posts
158 upvotes
I got the text too. What's the catch? If Koodoo's offer is better, why are they pushing out their customers?

EDIT: riiiiggghhhtttt... the referral bonus and autopay discount.... What a bunch of turds.
Last edited by sparklo on Feb 15th, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
8352 posts
1252 upvotes
TO
No additional details as to what happens if you just renewed/paid for next 90 days and switch to Koodo? Do you get that 2.xx months refunded/ported to Koodo bill.

Bummer. I got this in Oct.16 and didn't think they'll increase prices that fast. This for a company who have NO customer service. All support is by their forums.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Aug 22, 2007
726 posts
546 upvotes
Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for 1XXXXXXXXXX. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

Exact text ^^
Dec 4, 2016
263 posts
122 upvotes
TorontoEh wrote: No additional details as to what happens if you just renewed/paid for next 90 days and switch to Koodo? Do you get that 2.xx months refunded/ported to Koodo bill.

Bummer. I got this in Oct.16 and didn't think they'll increase prices that fast. This for a company who have NO customer service. All support is by their forums.
Made the switch before twice for friends, got prorated bill credit once, didn't for the other :/
Sep 4, 2014
91 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto, ON
same here :-( . Are they allowed to do this?
Jul 4, 2009
336 posts
55 upvotes
Mississauga
Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code xxxxxxxxxx to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

My 90 day plan just reset 5 days ago, I wonder if I will be reimbursed if I switch..
Last edited by rumtillidie on Feb 15th, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1897 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh just got this message. So annoying to have to switch out to their sister company to get the same rate, I was with Koodo before switching to Public now I have to go back again.... What a hassle.

Are they trying to kill this sub brand?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3515 posts
651 upvotes
Scarborough
They did something similar about a year ago for Public Mobile customers on the $25 unlimited talk + text. Offered a free month if they switched over to Koodo. Seems like theyre really trying to get people off Public...wonder what Telus is planning to do with it.
CPA, CISA

Realtor® at HouseSigma Brokerage
Sep 19, 2011
93 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
Same message here. I wonder if the raised price will affect the months we already prepaid for or kick in at the next renewal date. The Koodo offer seems reasonable although I am wary that there will be conditions attached.
Jan 11, 2017
109 posts
111 upvotes
Mississauga
At least we get a $100 credit....
Realtor
Right at Home Realty Inc.
Aug 7, 2012
82 posts
183 upvotes
rightthing wrote: Exactly, I just got the SMS (with offer to move to Koodo)

Will wait for some recommendations from deal experts here in the forums on how to proceed!
da queen show us da wae
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1958 posts
600 upvotes
Scarborough
Got the same text
Koodo
Tangerine
Simplii