Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

[Koodo] Essential Phone, medium tab, $15 x 24 monthly payments

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2018 9:53 am
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
mark_in_2k wrote: Where can I get the P20 for $210?
Koodo had it for $360-$150 in bill credits over 6 months, but I'm sure that promo just expired.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1753 posts
1902 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: The P20 at $210 would surely challenge that statement.
I wouldn't say the p20 is better. Maybe a tie depending on what you are looking for.

But Essential has monthly security updates, stock vanilla android, and i reiecevied android pie the day it was released. P20 is waiting for it and there is no fixed date for release.

I believe the processor on teh essential is faster as well. I'm not familiar with what p20 uses, but it's definitely not the mainstream chip that most cell phone makers are using.

And finally, i dont see where I can buy a P20 for $210 right now. Can you provide a link please?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
1524 posts
2465 upvotes
Hell
thelasthunter wrote: Koodo had it for $360-$150 in bill credits over 6 months, but I'm sure that promo just expired.
$150 credit still good for me until Nov. 1st
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
dogdayafter12 wrote: $150 credit still good for me until Nov. 1st
Not for everyone. And not even for everyone targeted for bill credits. Many only got $100.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
I don't get the hate the Essential gets. For me, it's been great, albeit I'm not one to care too much for a top-notch cellphone camera. Even at $360, the P20 is it's only real competition, and the screen to bezel ratio is second to none, for those that want the largest screen in the smallest possible phone size.

There's eBay seller selling near-new, remorse return Essentials for $325. And everyone outside of Ontario only pays GST. So if you wait for a eBay 15% off promo, that might be a deal worth considering.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14352 posts
15708 upvotes
Oil Country
$360 for this phone is hot IMO. It's only a year old, and good luck finding a similar spec'd phone for that price brand new. I bought one back in April, and love it. It's probably one of the best phones I've ever used, and I get a new phone every 10-12 months.

Not sure if Amazon will have a BF/CM deal for it though.
Jul 24, 2013
172 posts
111 upvotes
Bought this phone a while back, will list my pros and cons.

Pros:
-Design. legit feels like a designer phone
-Software. Very close to stock android and you get android updates as fast as pixel devices.

Cons:
-Slippery as hell. Honestly wouldn't use this phone without a case
-Service. There was 2 days where I didn't receive a call or text and then I got it all at once. Phone calls don't sound great and in certain areas I get no service. Had no problem with my nexus on the same provider.

I wouldn't buy this phone again.
May 18, 2006
92 posts
75 upvotes
BERTA
Phone definitely isn't worth $360+tax. You're far better off with one of the suggestions mentioned in the thread.
Oct 1, 2013
869 posts
838 upvotes
You’d be better off with a Key2 leg than this. That’s how much I despise this phone.
Jan 28, 2009
233 posts
116 upvotes
Rogido wrote: For me, it's been great, albeit I'm not one to care too much for a top-notch cellphone camera.
I see what you did there ;)

Been using this phone since November of last year. No complaints on performance. But for $360 though... I'd rather wait to see what's on sale during BF or boxing day
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
I've got two of them. I bought mine the first $360 koodo deal. Replaced my wifes phone with one during the Amazon deal.

They are fantastic phones in the $300 something range. Most complaints people have are extremely nitpicky, I'm certainly not willing to pay 2-3X as much to get a slightly smoother scrolling (maybe?), or slightly better phone pictures myself. Getting security updates as fast as Google's phones and non-bloated up official firmware releases in a timely fashion without having to go community is worth more to me anyway.

Anyway I can see this not being the phone for people without proper PCs that spend nearly every waking moment fiddling with a phone to do everything.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1473 posts
1178 upvotes
Montreal
I'd say the P20 under the current offer is better, but there are caveats to that phone just as with the Essential. Now that I have that pure Android experience, I'm reluctant to go with any Samsung, LG or Huawei.

I love my PH-1 but the camera is pretty meh. But what's really annoying are the one-sided phone calls, calls that don't go through and dropped calls (I'm on Rogers). But then again my wife's Pixel 2 exhibits the same behaviour.

I'm pretty sad their will be no follow up to this phone, they really got a lot of things right.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
Crap, I am getting beat up for mentioning this lukewarm deal! There are 32 people on this thread lined up to take pot shots. Funny how when the phone went out of stock the first time there was so much regret. Personally, I hope this current stock does not run dry and they add some bill credits to really sweeten up the deal. I think $100-150 bill credit would make this a good deal.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Apr 20, 2018
252 posts
678 upvotes
will888 wrote: Crap, I am getting beat up for mentioning this lukewarm deal! There are 32 people on this thread lined up to take pot shots. Funny how when the phone went out of stock the first time there was so much regret. Personally, I hope this current stock does not run dry and they add some bill credits to really sweeten up the deal. I think $100-150 bill credit would make this a good deal.
I am one of the lucky few that got the extended 150$ bill credit promotion.
For me right now, the essential is 0$ on tab medium, with ALSO the 150$ bill credit over 6 months.
This makes the essential a 210$ BARGAIN. Just sad that I already have one
Mar 13, 2013
329 posts
144 upvotes
LONDON
What does "activation credits" mean in koodo?

When I login go my koodo account, it shows that P20 (small tab) has "$390 in activation credit", and the Essential has $100. Is this the same as the "bill credit promotion" that people are talking about?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2012
2139 posts
2551 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
For the price, it is a great phone that will still be useful in a few years. Thanks for posting, I don't need one (as I bought two during the Koodo deal back in March) but I do recommend the device.
Nov 4, 2012
25 posts
22 upvotes
Install gcam APK and the camera is way way better
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Upvoted because it's a good phone. While not steaming hot, if anyone was on the border before, or simply didn't need it 6 months ago, it's nice to know it can be bought again.
Why can't we all just get along?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)