Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo Black Friday

Koodo, Fido & Virgin $30 for 20GB on New Activations BYOD

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2024 9:56 pm
Mar 20, 2018
687 posts
735 upvotes
Thought Id just add to this thread. I was with Virgin Mobility, now with Koodo.

I'm using the same phone (turned off my phone and restarted to refresh the protocols to the providers towers etc) and visited the same locations. My testing location was Real Canadian Superstore off of Harmony Rd and noticed on Virgin Mobility my reception was very poor. I would have to login to the stores Wifi to use it's Data. The other day (now on Koodo) I found I did not need to go on Wifi and I could use my phone as I normally would all throughout the store.

Just puts an interesting spin on the theory that Virgin and Koodo (Bell and Telus) are an the same towers.

Food for thought.
Aug 7, 2005
396 posts
39 upvotes
This is how the sales rep explained to me. It's prorated on regular rate.

Anyways in the grand scheme of things, you're still saving a lot of money without the port in fee, etc.
Jun 22, 2008
247 posts
63 upvotes
Got my first bill with virgin. All seems well. Partial charges for Nov 27-30 =$8.28 after taxes. Connection fee credited $50. First month promotional Free $55. Also have 2nd month promotion Free for January 1st.
Plan is $55-$25-$5=$25. Only one line. Which will start on Feb.1st. I know i got the plan for $25. And the second month was free, but i dont know how i got the first month free. Does anyone else have virgin that started their billing on the 1st of Dec.? Curious if anyone got this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2004
5148 posts
2194 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm trying to port from lucky mobile to fido. I don't have the lucky mobile account number so I put in IMEI as the required field in Fido porting form.
It's been over an hour, I didn't get a msg on lucky mobile SIM for permission to port.
Is this normal?

When I did Lucky mobile to koodo, it was all done in like 30 minutes.

Update: Google automatically considered the text at lucky mobile about the port as spam so it didn't notify. All good now.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
I just talked to Koodo. The "reason" Koodo doesn't prorate the credits is they are giving us a full 24 months of credits. They keep it as an even number of months because otherwise, at the end of the 24 months, everyone would only receive a partial credit for their last bill before the credits run out. On the plus side, your 24 months of credits started on the new billing cycle. On the minus side, Koodo manages to weasel a few wxtra $ out of each of us and hold it for 2 years. IMHO, each account's billing cycle should start at the time a new account is set up. This would alleviate a lot of confusion
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2016
2836 posts
2775 upvotes
Ottawa
smacd wrote: I just talked to Koodo. The "reason" Koodo doesn't prorate the credits is they are giving us a full 24 months of credits. They keep it as an even number of months because otherwise, at the end of the 24 months, everyone would only receive a partial credit for their last bill before the credits run out. On the plus side, your 24 months of credits started on the new billing cycle. On the minus side, Koodo manages to weasel a few wxtra $ out of each of us and hold it for 2 years. IMHO, each account's billing cycle should start at the time a new account is set up. This would alleviate a lot of confusion
For what it's worth, Fido does exactly the same thing (just anecdotally, Fido seems to charge for fewer initial days from what I remember seeing usually just one or two days, but I think some people have reported Koodo charging for 3 or 4 or 5 initial days?).
I am a current Public Mobile customer and Koodo customer.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
cappaj wrote: For what it's worth, Fido does exactly the same thing (just anecdotally, Fido seems to charge for fewer initial days from what I remember seeing usually just one or two days, but I think some people have reported Koodo charging for 3 or 4 or 5 initial days?).
Yes, I was charged for 6 days, from the 25th to the 30th ($11.00), 1/5 of $55 for 1/5 of the month.

Gotta admit, every time I go on the Koodo site and see "‘Tis the season of online savings.
8 GB for only $55/month +
Rollover Data1" I feel much better about opening 2 lines with this deal, even if I'll never use 20GB/month.
Jun 22, 2008
247 posts
63 upvotes
Can someone who ported to virgin from another carrier PM me. Having a iphone device on virgin. Thx.
Dec 28, 2009
110 posts
158 upvotes
smacd wrote: Yes, I was charged for 6 days, from the 25th to the 30th ($11.00), 1/5 of $55 for 1/5 of the month.

Gotta admit, every time I go on the Koodo site and see "‘Tis the season of online savings.
8 GB for only $55/month +
Rollover Data1" I feel much better about opening 2 lines with this deal, even if I'll never use 20GB/month.
Holy shit I'm with Koodo too. I have just taken a look at my bill and they charged me partial charges at full rate for 10 days from Nov 28 to Dec 07. That is crazy. Goddamn. Attached pic for reference.
Images
  • Koodo partial.png
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
ggnubba wrote: Holy shit I'm with Koodo too. I have just taken a look at my bill and they charged me partial charges at full rate for 10 days from Nov 28 to Dec 07. That is crazy. Goddamn. Attached pic for reference.
No big deal and a good way of doing it. This way there is no prorated amount at the beginning and at the end of your term. I prefer the full 24 month discount, easier to track. Your partial charges are offset by whatever you would have paid in your previous plan for that period so likely the difference is a few bucks extra, if you paid less on your other plan.
Nov 25, 2022
6 posts
2 upvotes
Wow and after all that, my credits and the promo disappeared. My bill is a full $55 for 20 Gb…. What is going on with Koodo
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
foodoo wrote: Wow and after all that, my credits and the promo disappeared. My bill is a full $55 for 20 Gb…. What is going on with Koodo
Did you contact them yet to rectify?
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I got my Koodo account on Nov 28 and my official first month started Dec 8. I paid $18.xx for 10 days, but I got the full 20GB of data. During the 10 days, I used very little data because I'm used to skimping on data and using Shaw Go WIFI, etc. when I can. So the rollover to the month starting Dec. 8 was nearly 20GB and I have nearly 40GB available for the new month. Ongoing, if I use less than 20GB each month, I will always have 40GB available.

I hope that makes sense. The rollover data makes this a super great plan. Also my billing was done correctly.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Pingu99 wrote: I got my Koodo account on Nov 28 and my official first month started Dec 8. I paid $18.xx for 10 days, but I got the full 20GB of data. During the 10 days, I used very little data because I'm used to skimping on data and using Shaw Go WIFI, etc. when I can. So the rollover to the month starting Dec. 8 was nearly 20GB and I have nearly 40GB available for the new month. Ongoing, if I use less than 20GB each month, I will always have 40GB available.

I hope that makes sense. The rollover data makes this a super great plan. Also my billing was done correctly.
Is that how rollover data works? I thought you only tap into the rollover data once you use your allotted data. So if you have 40 gigs (20 gigs +20 gigs rollover)and use 19 gigs you'll only get 1 rollover gig the following month. I'm not sure but that's what I thought I read in the fine print somewhere.
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
I was wrong and you're right. If I use 5GB, then I will rollover 15GB and have 35GB the next month. I got carried away because I really have no need for even 20GB of data, so I will usually have a large rollover.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1764 posts
349 upvotes
Vancouver
In regards to the rollover also. So if for example if I have the 20 gig/month plan and I use 10 gigs one month, then the 10 gigs rolls over to the next month. In the following month, does the plan use up your 10 gig "rollover data" first or does it use up the 20 gig from the monthly plan first?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
artofwar wrote: In regards to the rollover also. So if for example if I have the 20 gig/month plan and I use 10 gigs one month, then the 10 gigs rolls over to the next month. In the following month, does the plan use up your 10 gig "rollover data" first or does it use up the 20 gig from the monthly plan first?
Use up the 20GB from the monthly plan first, then the rollover data

from Pick your perk | Koodo Mobile
https://www.koodomobile.com/en/pickyourperk

How does Rollover Data work?

Any data leftover from your plan's data bucket in the current month will get added to your data bucket for next month. Your Rollover Data will get used automatically after you use all of your regular plan data. You can only keep your Rollover Data for one month, so any unused Rollover Data at the end of the month will expire.
Note: Once the data included in your plan has been used, you’ll start using your rolled over data automatically.
Destiny is all
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
artofwar wrote: In regards to the rollover also. So if for example if I have the 20 gig/month plan and I use 10 gigs one month, then the 10 gigs rolls over to the next month. In the following month, does the plan use up your 10 gig "rollover data" first or does it use up the 20 gig from the monthly plan first?
Regular data is used before rollover.

From Koodo site:

Any data leftover from your plan's data bucket in the current month will get added to your data bucket for next month. Your Rollover Data will get used automatically after you use all of your regular plan data. You can only keep your Rollover Data for one month, so any unused Rollover Data at the end of the month will expire.
Note: Once the data included in your plan has been used, you’ll start using your rolled over data automatically.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1764 posts
349 upvotes
Vancouver
So I am guessing if you don't use up the rollover data then you lose it? Kinda sucks as rollover data should get used first
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
artofwar wrote: So I am guessing if you don't use up the rollover data then you lose it? Kinda sucks as rollover data should get used first
Yes, from the quote off of the Koodo site directly above your post: " You can only keep your Rollover Data for one month, so any unused Rollover Data at the end of the month will expire."