• Mar 21st, 2019 7:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7231 posts
3463 upvotes
Kootenays

[Koodo] Koodo Prepaid double bonus add-ons for new activations only

Koodo Mobile has their double bonus on again for new activations of prepaid accounts. https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-pla ... epaidPlans

Canada-Wide Data Booster add-ons7
$30 1 GB of data
+ 1 GB BONUS
$20 500 MB of data
+ 500 MB BONUS
$10 100 MB of data
+ 100 MB BONUS
Canada-Wide Talk Booster add-ons7
$30 600 anytime min.
+ 600 mins. BONUS
$20 250 anytime min.
+ 250 mins. BONUS
$10 100 anytime min.
+ 100 mins. BONUS
International Long Distance Talk Booster add-ons7
$30 300 long distance min.
+ 300 mins. BONUS
$20 100 long distance min.
+ 100 mins. BONUS
$10 25 long distance min.

What we've done is subscribe to prepaid for $15/month and signed up for auto billing. That gives us unlimited international texts and a one time 100 minute Canada wide talk bonus for $13.50/month. An additional $30 gives 1200 Canada wide anytime minutes. Data and US minutes are available, too as add-ons. Add-ons don't expire until used. My cell-plan was less than $200 last year including some talk/texts while in the USA. I didn't use data.

U.S. Roaming Data Booster add-ons7
$20 500 MB
+ 500 MB BONUS
$5 50 MB
+ 50 MB BONUS
U.S. Roaming Talk Booster add-ons7
$20 250 min.
+ 250 mins. BONUS
$5 25 min.
+ 25 mins. BONUS
U.S. Roaming Text Booster add-ons8
$20 1000 texts
+ 1000 texts BONUS
$5 250 texts
+ 250 texts BONUS
Last edited by smacd on Mar 1st, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
37 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2663 posts
2660 upvotes
Vancouver
smacd wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:29 pm
What we've done is subscribe to prepaid for $15/month and signed up for auto billing. That gives us unlimited international texts and a 100 minute Canada wide talk bonus for $13.50/month. An additional $30 gives 1200 Canada wide anytime minutes. Data and US minutes are available, too as add-ons. Add-ons don't expire until used. My cell-plan was less than $200 last year including some talk/texts while in the USA. I didn't use data.
This is only a single booster for the first month you sign up for automatic top-ups. Going forward, $15/mo only gets you unlimited texting, voicemail etc.

Otherwise Koodo pre-paid is a good deal. I've been on it for a few years now. And these double boosters are always a great deal.

But I think I'll be upgrading my plan soon. I've looked at my Koodo pre-paid spending over the past few years, and it averages about to about $40 and 0.75 GB per month including tax.

Zoomer 4GB - $36/mo seems like a better deal for me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7231 posts
3463 upvotes
Kootenays
derass wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:45 pm
This is only a single booster for the first month you sign up for automatic top-ups. Going forward, $15/mo only gets you unlimited texting, voicemail etc.

Otherwise Koodo pre-paid is a good deal. I've been on it for a few years now. And these double boosters are always a great deal.

But I think I'll be upgrading my plan soon. I've looked at my Koodo pre-paid spending over the past few years, and it averages about to about $40 and 0.75 GB per month including tax.

Zoomer 4GB - $36/mo seems like a better deal for me.
The 100 minutes is a one time bonus that does not expire. Signing up for auto pay takes 10% off of the $15/month charge as long as you have auto pay. Of course it depends on your usage, but for us, both light users working from home with no data needs, it's very cost effective.
Aug 21, 2008
1 posts
Toronto
My experience with Koodo US roaming has been abismal - aka not been able to get anything to work in the US. Other than that, it works well for the kids, each on the $13.5 / 30 days plan, as they both really text a lot, do not need that many minutes, and I do not want them to have data anyway.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2663 posts
2660 upvotes
Vancouver
Yup. I just wanted to point out that it's a one-time booster. Your wording made it seem like you get 100 voice minutes per month with $15 top-ups.

The $15 top-up does not include any minutes. You must purchase boosters for that. This is what I've been doing for the last few years. The larger top-ups include unlimited provinical/Canada-wide calling.
Nov 30, 2012
416 posts
339 upvotes
Burnaby
Double boosters available for new activiations only. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Jan 16, 2007
969 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
OP should adjust title to say new activation only. Was about to buy/topup till I saw the fine print.
Feb 20, 2018
21 posts
18 upvotes
Available to new customers only. Always read the fine print. Winking Face

From Koodo Website: "Offer only available for new activations. Double Booster add-ons are not available for purchase through Self Serve or by dialing *611. You’ll only be able to purchase 1 double Booster add-on per price point, per type (Data, Canada-wide Talk, Long Distance Talk, U.S. Roaming Data, U.S. Roaming Text and U.S. Roaming Talk). Prices exclude taxes. Rates are subject to change without notice."
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7231 posts
3463 upvotes
Kootenays
My apologies. I just tried to add minutes to my wife's plan and was directed to point 12 at the bottom of the page:
12. Offer only available for new activations. Double Booster add-ons are not available for purchase through Self Serve or by dialing *611. You’ll only be able to purchase 1 double Booster add-on per price point, per type (Data, Canada-wide Talk, Long Distance Talk, U.S. Roaming Data, U.S. Roaming Text and U.S. Roaming Talk). Prices exclude taxes. Rates are subject to change without notice.

This sucks and I haven't seen it like this before. I'll edit the OP.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2663 posts
2660 upvotes
Vancouver
elgringo wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:56 pm
My experience with Koodo US roaming has been abismal - aka not been able to get anything to work in the US. Other than that, it works well for the kids, each on the $13.5 / 30 days plan, as they both really text a lot, do not need that many minutes, and I do not want them to have data anyway.
You need to buy a US Booster to use Koodo Pre-paid in the US. There is no roaming.

It's a bare-bones plan and that kind of thing is sort of to be expected.

Don't want a roaming add-on?
You won't be able to use your Koodo Prepaid phone in the U.S. without a U.S. Roaming Boosters add-on.
https://www.koodomobile.com/help/long-d ... ng-prepaid
Apr 12, 2017
110 posts
114 upvotes
Saskatoon, SK
elgringo wrote:
Mar 1st, 2019 3:56 pm
Ive had zero issues with my prepaid Koodo in the USA. Perfect coverage in North Dakota, California (palm springs, LA, Disneyland, and everywhere in between) and Florida (Tampa, Orlando, and Port Canaveral). And for some reason it also appeared to sometimes work on a cruise ship while we were way out at sea, which actually was a huge bonus as cruise roaming fees are often outrageous!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7231 posts
3463 upvotes
Kootenays
JWL wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2019 10:00 am
Anyone know how long this offer is on for?
It just says "Limited Time Only", so who knows. It wasn't offered this time last year when we signed up, but has been offered to all users twice since, so it comes up fairly often.
Jan 26, 2010
876 posts
627 upvotes
Milton
Anyone knows if you need a US calling booster to receive calls from the US or will a Canadian calling booster suffice?