• Dec 28th, 2016 8:32 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3911 posts
3831 upvotes
Muskoka

[Koodo] Koodo PrePaid - US Roaming now available - Booster add-on

You need to login to your Koodo Prepaid account and check under Booster Add-Ons.

It also looks like the Boosters roll over or stay active until you use the mintutes/data, which seems different than the recently announce Public Mobile Roaming 10 day packages

Quoted below

U.S. Roaming Data Booster 50 MB - $5.00
U.S. Roaming Data Booster 500 MB - $20.00
U.S. Roaming Talk Booster 25 - $5.00
U.S. Roaming Talk Booster 250 - $20.00
U.S. Roaming Text Booster 1000 - $20.00
U.S. Roaming Text Booster 250 - $5.00

You can stay connected while traveling in the U.S. by adding U.S. Roaming Talk, U.S. Roaming Text or U.S. Roaming Data Booster Add-ons. U.S. Roaming Talk Booster Add-ons include calls within the U.S. and to Canada. U.S Roaming Text Booster Add-ons include international outgoing and unlimited incoming text messages(1). You will require a U.S. Roaming Data Booster Add-on to send or receive picture and video messages.

Any unused minutes, text or data will be carried over when you renew your base plan. So it's best to pick the biggest booster add-ons to enjoy our best per-minute or per-megabyte rate.

1 U.S. Roaming Text messages exclude MMS messages (picture & video), premium messages and subscription based messages.
Public Mobile
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1691 posts
1420 upvotes
Ottawa
Finally, a decent alternative to Roam Mobility.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20354 posts
6538 upvotes
Toronto
Ah, to compete with their own sister brand, Public Mobile, which also got US Roaming plans today. And they roll over, unlike PM's plans.
Nov 10, 2003
846 posts
214 upvotes
Thanks OP! Just in time for my trip to the US!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20354 posts
6538 upvotes
Toronto
Too bad Koodo's regular Canadian plans cost so much on Koodo Pre-paid.

It's a bit of a difficult situation right now. Go with PM for its great rates but risk horrible customer service, or else go with someone else (pre-paid or post-paid) and pay way more money. Or else go with Wind and get useless coverage.
Jun 3, 2013
381 posts
93 upvotes
This seems like a pretty stupid question. In my 12 years of owning a cell phone the only time I ever needed customer service was when I needed to buy a new phone on contract or wanted to negotiate a better price.

Given with PM you can't buy phones and can't negotiate on a already great price. When do you think you will need to call for customer service for anything?

If more phone companies operated in a similar fashion maybe even the big 3 could have lower prices.

Worst case scenario you are on a prepaid plan and can leave whenever you want.

EugW wrote: Too bad Koodo's regular Canadian plans cost so much on Koodo Pre-paid.

It's a bit of a difficult situation right now. Go with PM for its great rates but risk horrible customer service, or else go with someone else (pre-paid or post-paid) and pay way more money. Or else go with Wind and get useless coverage.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10911 posts
4136 upvotes
sandav wrote: Finally, a decent alternative to Roam Mobility.
Costs are way too high to be considered a decent alternative to Roam Mobility.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1691 posts
1420 upvotes
Ottawa
bobcat99 wrote: Costs are way too high to be considered a decent alternative to Roam Mobility.
I usually go for 2 or more weeks. Here's a comparison:

Koodo - U.S. Data with Unlimited Minutes & Text ($75 for 30 days). 750MB of data total (more than enough for my needs).
Roam - Talk+Text+Data (<$75 for 15 days). Unlimited data per day.

Used Roam for a number of years and found their coverage less than stellar at both ends of the country - ok in urban areas and just terrible in rural. I'm more than happy to give Koodo a try.

Price is very comparable.
Dec 25, 2011
269 posts
197 upvotes
Hamilton
Funny it was announced the same day as Public Mobile... I guess daddy Telus had some presents wrapped under the tree this morning.
Banned
Nov 10, 2016
12 posts
2 upvotes
Koodo is not choose happy in Pre-paid area. but This is a good news for some of the ppl, I guess.
Promotion Coordinator for Rogers Communications
Current Hot Rogers Deal - $99 - Gigabyte Speed Unlimited Internet + TV
$60 - Ignite 100u
Don't forget to hit the upvote button if I've helped. Have a Great Day!
Jan 26, 2010
988 posts
776 upvotes
Milton
Let's say I get the U.S. Roaming Talk Booster. I travel to the US with my wife. I'm out and about somewhere while my wife is back at the hotel.

If she calls me from the hotel phone, would it be considered a long distance call, since she'll be dialing a Canadian number from the US

If she calls me from her cell with this booster (and I have the same booster), will that work without any extra charges?
Jun 23, 2010
113 posts
38 upvotes
niagara falls
This is great!!! Been waiting for this for 2 years. Finally!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1660 posts
535 upvotes
Canada
where can we see these on the Koodo website? I can't find them?
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10911 posts
4136 upvotes
sandav wrote: I usually go for 2 or more weeks. Here's a comparison:

Koodo - U.S. Data with Unlimited Minutes & Text ($75 for 30 days). 750MB of data total (more than enough for my needs).
Roam - Talk+Text+Data (<$75 for 15 days). Unlimited data per day.

Used Roam for a number of years and found their coverage less than stellar at both ends of the country - ok in urban areas and just terrible in rural. I'm more than happy to give Koodo a try.

Price is very comparable.
I guess depends on needs. We go for a week or so and need the data and never had problems driving and using google navigator to Washington and Baltimore so Roam was very reliable and cost effective for me.

Remember watching a Jays game that was going on in Toronto using my MLB account on my phone sitting at the Washington Nationals park during a game using Roam ...lol
Jul 7, 2008
27 posts
9 upvotes
2Sedins1Cup wrote: where can we see these on the Koodo website? I can't find them?
If you logon to the Koodo Prepaid self serve site, the US booster addons are now in the list of options you can add to your account.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8434 posts
2085 upvotes
PapaQBear wrote: Let's say I get the U.S. Roaming Talk Booster. I travel to the US with my wife. I'm out and about somewhere while my wife is back at the hotel.

If she calls me from the hotel phone, would it be considered a long distance call, since she'll be dialing a Canadian number from the US

If she calls me from her cell with this booster (and I have the same booster), will that work without any extra charges?
Hotel will charge you long distance for calling a Canada number.

The second question would be yes, it will work and no extra charges.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
1417 posts
1123 upvotes
Koodo prepaid = Public. Literally.

I had ordered Public SIM a year or so ago, and even the envelope said "Koodo Prepaid" as the sender. People might be better off with Public Mobile (unless you want 611 customer service, or you are a very light user).
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2687 posts
1172 upvotes
North York
no expiry makes this pretty hot. twice the cost of PM but nice to not be limited to 10 day increments.
Jan 2, 2014
106 posts
38 upvotes
Oshawa
Agreed, going to the US for a week and a bit, Roam is costing $15 less with 5 GB of LTE data AND call back to Canada, just saying...
Apr 4, 2006
461 posts
75 upvotes
Burlington
Thank you. Anyone know which network Koodo will be using for the roaming?