Shopping Discussion

Koodo Refurbs - Too expensive to bother with, honestly

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2019 5:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2841 posts
928 upvotes

Koodo Refurbs - Too expensive to bother with, honestly

Buying a new device with Koodo is considered "Terminating your Agreement" and you will immediately be subject to the Phone Credit charge associated with whichever device you recently purchased (if your most recent device purchase was after August 25th, 2019).

There are some customers for whom only a single device upgrade every two years is desired, but for most cases, you are going to end up paying the full retail price for the device (with a portion paid over time via the Tab) so you're probably better off going with Virgin Mobile or Fido, where a similarly-priced / featured plan will at least have some device discount built in, making it possible to have a lower total cost outlay than you would with Koodo.
Last edited by lorax1284 on Nov 5th, 2019 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Thread Summary
EDIT:

Buying a new device from Koodo is considered "Terminating your agreement". Buying a device online immediately terminates your previous agreement, so if you have purchased a device from Koodo after August 25th, it will be considered to be terminating your previous agreement and you will be subject to the Phone Credit fee.

Upshot: Unless the upfront cost for the device (whether on Tab or outright purchase) is not in and of itself a deal, it really doesn't make sense to upgrade your device with Koodo. You end up paying the full retail price for the device + a surcharge. Unless the outright purchase price of a device is competitive, Koodo customers effectively only have one chance to upgrade every two years, no matter what Koodo says, unless they say they will waive any existing Phone Credit.
141 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 18, 2013
1927 posts
11679 upvotes
frendzpz wrote: Buy and cancel, iPhone SE?
Feel free, if you're prepared to the pay the highlight amounts + tax. Koodo closed the loophole months back.

Image
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2841 posts
928 upvotes
frendzpz wrote: Buy and cancel, iPhone SE?
No, there is no "buy and cancel" with Koodo any more.

There's "already be a Koodo subscriber, with or without a Tab: pay off your current Tab then buy the iPhone SE: optionally pay it off $3 per month for 2 years or pay $72 and then go back to being on no tab".

This deal really is only for "happy" Koodo customers who don't intend to quit Koodo any time soon. But the Koodo Tab is "pay now or pay later" so there's little benefit to keeping a Tab unless you really can't afford to pay the whole thing off at once.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2009
2631 posts
3430 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Luke warm deal at best, not exactly $72 all in, more like $200+tax all in as even if you're a "happy" Koodo customer that has no plans of leaving Koodo in the next 2yrs, if a better deal comes around during that time you'll need to pay back the $128 on top of the remaining tab to upgrade from this used 4yr old phone.

I think Koodo should've closed the loophole only "half way", if you sign up only to cancel, then yeah, you should "return" the credits, but if you're upgrading why punish "happy" clients that are pretty much extending 24mths.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Sep 20, 2011
195 posts
705 upvotes
Is there a way to get this for $72 if I am not a Koodo customer? As far as I understand, i have to pay $200 and get $120 in credit I guess.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2009
2631 posts
3430 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
qwerty17327 wrote: Is there a way to get this for $72 if I am not a Koodo customer? As far as I understand, i have to pay $200 and get $120 in credit I guess.
No, you get it for $0, and will be $72 for it over 24mths. If you cancel before 24mths you payback $3/mth x months remaining + $120.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2841 posts
928 upvotes
remik wrote: Luke warm deal at best, not exactly $72 all in, more like $200+tax all in as even if you're a "happy" Koodo customer that has no plans of leaving Koodo in the next 2yrs, if a better deal comes around during that time you'll need to pay back the $128 on top of the remaining tab to upgrade from this used 4yr old phone.

I think Koodo should've closed the loophole only "half way", if you sign up only to cancel, then yeah, you should "return" the credits, but if you're upgrading why punish "happy" clients that are pretty much extending 24mths.
I don't understand. Or maybe you don't understand.

If you are already a Koodo customer or want to create an account on Koodo that you intend to keep (i.e. create the account 'in good faith'), you can order this device. No cost, free delivery with sim card. Your phone plan will have a $3 per month tab associated with it. Days after receiving the device, you can pay off the $72 Tab in full. Then you have $0 tab. Then if you see another device you want on Koodo that you can get at a good price inclusive of Tab without changing your plan, OR you do want to change your plan to a different plan, you can order that device and get a new Tab. You can then pay off that Tab days after receiving the new device and you have $0 tab. You can (so far) do this without having to pay the "phone credit", only pay off the Tab.

If you try to close your Koodo account / cancel the Koodo line associated with the device purchase, you pay the "phone credit" of $120. If you don't quit Koodo altogether within 2 years, you don't pay the $120. All carriers will gouge the eff out of you if you try to cancel altogether, that's the loophole Koodo closed, already discussed to deaaaath.
Last edited by lorax1284 on Nov 4th, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
7451 posts
1946 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote: No, you get it for $0, and will be $72 for it over 24mths. If you cancel before 24mths you payback $3/mth x months remaining + $120.
So, if i am a koodo subscriber i can pay $72 in one shot and get another phone by BF or BD?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2006
1662 posts
1024 upvotes
Title should be changed.. it's not $72 All In... it's only $72 with a 2 year contract. All in price should include the $120 cancellation charge for the phone...
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27580 posts
7326 upvotes
Hamilton
From now on- only koodo subscribers can comment on these deals.

Non Koodo customers keep out!
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Member
Mar 14, 2017
406 posts
839 upvotes
So the real price is $72 + $120 to get out of the plan? Or is the $72 included in the $120? No way I'm signing a contract for a 4 year old phone but $120 for a capable backup isn't bad
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2841 posts
928 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: So, if i am a koodo subscriber i can pay $72 in one shot and get another phone by BF or BD?
I just did: I was looking for a Pixel device for development: saw the Pixel 2 XL for $240... but I just got the $120 Note 8 last week. So I paid off the Note 8 tab of $120, then ordered the Pixel 2 XL. I didn't pay the "phone credit". I don't think it's a loophole, it's just that I am keeping my Koodo plan, so they let me do this.
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1228 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Not sure if I should just go ahead and buy this or wait for Black Friday for something more recent

I need a new phone...if I get this iPhone SE/6S, I will use it myself as I am in dire need of new phone, and if I get something better like Iphone XR or XS, then I will give it to her and just take her iPhone 6S

what do you guys think? (P.S. not churning...need plan/phone anyways )
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27580 posts
7326 upvotes
Hamilton
lorax1284 wrote: I just did: I was looking for a Pixel device for development: saw the Pixel 2 XL for $240... but I just got the $120 Note 8 last week. So I paid off the Note 8 tab of $120, then ordered the Pixel 2 XL. I didn't pay the "phone credit". I don't think it's a loophole, it's just that I am keeping my Koodo plan, so they let me do this.
Did you call in to pay off tab? Interesting
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 26, 2007
2841 posts
928 upvotes
corwal wrote: So the real price is $72 + $120 to get out of the plan? Or is the $72 included in the $120? No way I'm signing a contract for a 4 year old phone but $120 for a capable backup isn't bad
Google "Koodo Phone Credit".
na na na na na na na na na NA.
Jr. Member
Apr 9, 2016
109 posts
109 upvotes
I believe both the Tab Balance and the Phone Credit are prorated. So if you're on a 24 month tab and cancel after 12 months for example, you'd still owe half of each. In this respect, the phone credit acts as a lockin for customers; something that was missing in the past.
What happens to the phone credit should you remain as a customer but say clear the tab and upgrade your phone with Koodo is unclear to me.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 22, 2007
27580 posts
7326 upvotes
Hamilton
Varian wrote: Not sure if I should just go ahead and buy this or wait for Black Friday for something more recent

I need a new phone...if I get this iPhone SE/6S, I will use it myself as I am in dire need of new phone, and if I get something better like Iphone XR or XS, then I will give it to her and just take her iPhone 6S

what do you guys think? (P.S. not churning...need plan/phone anyways )
It really depends on your budget. If your budget is in the $500s, then wait for the XR.
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
1274 posts
1097 upvotes
Moncton
EDIT: some people think that if you want to stay with Koodo and pay your Tab down to zero, you must also pay the "phone credit". This is incorrect. You can pay your tab to $0 and then if you see another device you want, you can order that also on the Tab.
Do you have some kind of citation for this? I don't believe your view on this is correct. Everything I've read and seen (including the wording of the contract) suggests that you can no longer pay off your tab without having to pay the balance of the phone credit. It certainly doesn't sound like it would allow somebody to get a different phone from koodo without waiting 2 years unless you pay off the balance of the phone credit.

It's always possible that I'm wrong in my interpretation of the current contracts WRT the phone credit, but until I hear from somebody with first hand knowledge (i.e. they bought a phone on the new system, paid off the tab, and were able to get a new phone without having to pay the balance) I'm sticking by my interpretation.

As it stands..... you can not get a different phone in under 2 years without paying the balance of the phone credit.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Sr. Member
Dec 6, 2008
736 posts
428 upvotes
with the new koodo rules, if i pay the 200 retail price can i cancel my plan after receiving the phone and only have to pay the prorated plan charges?

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)