Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

[Koodo] Samsung Galaxy S9 $0 on Medium tab ($15 per month for 24 months)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2019 10:37 am
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2016
1884 posts
7842 upvotes
Albertariolandbec
About as hot as this..
Images
  • upload.jpg
What's in your wallet?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
Thanks OP, not a great deal though. Wait till BF for S10 or S10e.

Question to all the Koodo whiners: Where do you buy your phone's now? Just keep your old phone because you can't churn 4 phone's a year anymore?
Jun 3, 2013
381 posts
93 upvotes
I think recently everyone is confused about the koodo change in policy. My understanding is the following.

1. If you sign up for koodo and pay off your tab immediately if you are keeping koodo plan you will not be penalized.

2. If you plan to leave koodo you will be penalized a portion of the phone credit remaining. If you quit after 12 months you will pay back 50% of the phone credit. Because the credit is applied over 24 months.

3. If you pay off after 12 months and want to upgrade with Koodo. This part is confusing. Initially the language suggested that upgrades/cancellation would both have to pay back the phone credit. However, recent language in “Nitty Gritty” suggests the phone credit penalty is only for cancellations. Upgrades will not be penalized. However, I am sure if people frequently upgrade you may be blacklisted.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong and why you think its wrong.

The main people being penalized Is people who sign up with Koodo only to cancel. Loyal customers not so much anymore.
Jan 24, 2015
562 posts
450 upvotes
GTA
interesting
Last edited by redflags10 on Apr 28th, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4371 posts
6938 upvotes
Chopras wrote: 1,2,3
Under all circumstances, whether you stay or leave Koodo, if you pay off the Tab early, you are required to pay off any applicable/remaining "phone credits" as well.

If you want to sign up, pay off tab, leave Koodo > Pay phone credits remaining
If you want to sign up, pay off tab, stay on BYOD > Pay phone credits remaining
If you are current Koodo customer, pay off tab to upgrade, stay on Koodo > Pay phone credits remaining

The phone credits are spread over 24 months decreasing as an incentive to remain a customer/discourage churning. If you pay off tab after 3 months, you pay remaining 21 months of phone credits. If you cancel at 12 months, you pay 12 months remaining credits. Regardless, you're on the hook for them whether you stay or leave Koodo.

Basically, with the new system, DO NOT pay off the tab early if you are remaining a Koodo customer. It's the only way to keep the discount.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP! I'll wait for a pixel deal at Koodo but there's nothing wrong with this deal.

People need to shut up about the past and deal with the realities. There's no more churning so there's no need to be nostalgic about your previous scamming escapades.

Which other carrier in Canada sells a brand new unlocked S9 for $360? And please leave the time machine bullshit out of it. There's plenty of people with stupid cheap migration plans ($35 or $40) that don't mind upgrading every 24 months and would rather stick with a carrier that hasn't jacked rates up.
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chopras wrote: I think recently everyone is confused about the koodo change in policy. My understanding is the following.

1. If you sign up for koodo and pay off your tab immediately if you are keeping koodo plan you will not be penalized.

2. If you plan to leave koodo you will be penalized a portion of the phone credit remaining. If you quit after 12 months you will pay back 50% of the phone credit. Because the credit is applied over 24 months.

3. If you pay off after 12 months and want to upgrade with Koodo. This part is confusing. Initially the language suggested that upgrades/cancellation would both have to pay back the phone credit. However, recent language in “Nitty Gritty” suggests the phone credit penalty is only for cancellations. Upgrades will not be penalized. However, I am sure if people frequently upgrade you may be blacklisted.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong and why you think its wrong.

The main people being penalized Is people who sign up with Koodo only to cancel. Loyal customers not so much anymore.
You're still on the hook for phone credit even if you paid the tab immediately, there's no way to circumvent it AT ALL.
The OP in this thread tried it himself, and still got dinged with phone credit.
Last edited by LockAndKey on Nov 10th, 2019 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
DonM28020 wrote: Just a heads up that you dont have to wait 3 months but you will have to pay whatever the "phone credit" is as well as your remaining tab if you cancel. Usually the "phone credit" is the original MSRP-tab.... this makes canceling really not worth it as I am sure you could find that phone for much cheaper elsewhere. I think the only reason to stay with koodo these days is if you have a good monthly rate plan. If you dont then I would recommend lucky mobile for 30 days and then migrate to virgin through their migration deals.
I still understand it as you can't even pay off the tab for 3 months...
From their site
Good to know
You'll need to wait for at least 90 days after purchase before you can pay off your Tab Balance.
To be eligible for the Tab, you’ll need to pass a credit check.
Your monthly Tab charge is rounded up to the nearest dollar. This doesn't increase your device balance. It simply allows you to pay off your Tab sooner than 24 months.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Nov 23, 2002
610 posts
139 upvotes
Vancouver
b31770 wrote: Thanks OP! I'll wait for a pixel deal at Koodo but there's nothing wrong with this deal.

People need to shut up about the past and deal with the realities. There's no more churning so there's no need to be nostalgic about your previous scamming escapades.

Which other carrier in Canada sells a brand new unlocked S9 for $360? And please leave the time machine bullshit out of it. There's plenty of people with stupid cheap migration plans ($35 or $40) that don't mind upgrading every 24 months and would rather stick with a carrier that hasn't jacked rates up.
Migration plans aren’t medium tab eligible. There aren’t that many good medium tab eligible plans from Koodo.
The point people are trying to make is this is tied to a contract the same way all the other companies are. The s9 is free on Fido depending on the plan you take. It’s still not considered a deal because their plans aren’t great.
If this deal over 24 months works out for you then great. Odds are the min $70 a month you will be paying a month for this deal is not as good as buying the phone outright somewhere and finding a similar phone plan elsewhere.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
redflags10 wrote: Personally I'm waiting for black friday, but if you need a phone now, looks like a good deal.
I could get a 3GB Zoomer plan for $36/month, a total of $864 over 24 months. Or I could get a Koodo Medium plan for $55/month + $15 for the S9 tab, a total of $1680.

That "free" phone will cost me $816.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
retrothing wrote: I could get a 3GB Zoomer plan for $36/month, a total of $864 over 24 months. Or I could get a Koodo Medium plan for $55/month + $15 for the S9 tab, a total of $1680.

Lol med tab plan with 3GB? WTF? Compare similar plans before having this ridiculous calculation...Some of us have $39 Plans with 5 times the data. Find me something similar with zoomer.
May 19, 2017
442 posts
747 upvotes
KW
How the hell does this have -34. Just because there was a crazy holiday deal last year on the S9 (because no one was buying them) doesnt mean this isnt a good deal...It's a one year old flagship for $0 down total tab value of $360, really pretty reasonable. BTW, people thinking they will get a repeat of the S9 and gift card deal but with the S10. GLHF! The S9 deal was insanely lava hot, not a yearly thing. Samsung didnt move any S9's because the design was near identical to the S8. I dont think they will need to move S10's this year.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6365 posts
6726 upvotes
Center of Canada
Everyone said last year was better deal, may I borrow your time machine??

About PC points / GC, those are new activation. If you already with them and have good plan, this is a good deal.

Can't compare new activation vs Hardware upgrade.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2016
1546 posts
1600 upvotes
TheRealSwatson wrote: How the hell does this have -34. Just because there was a crazy holiday deal last year on the S9 (because no one was buying them) doesnt mean this isnt a good deal...It's a one year old flagship for $0 down total tab value of $360, really pretty reasonable.
For some people $0 down + Paying off $360 Med Tab next day is different then $0 down and $360 over 2 years. This way they cant screw Koodo and go with a different carrier + cheap phone. Yes i get the 24 Month commitment, but to us with good Koodo plans it does not matter. I will get a new S10 or S10e cheap this BF/Christmas. I hope the churners who bought several phones from Koodo in the past get nothing from anywhere. They are in the same category like people who downvote every Lenovo thread with good deals because they cant get a $3000 system for next to nothing due to Price error.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
thedon wrote: Migration plans aren’t medium tab eligible. There aren’t that many good medium tab eligible plans from Koodo.
The point people are trying to make is this is tied to a contract the same way all the other companies are. The s9 is free on Fido depending on the plan you take. It’s still not considered a deal because their plans aren’t great.
If this deal over 24 months works out for you then great. Odds are the min $70 a month you will be paying a month for this deal is not as good as buying the phone outright somewhere and finding a similar phone plan elsewhere.
A bit of misinformation. They announced a while back that migration plans can upgrade to medium tab now. I literally just confirmed that my $40 8GB plan can upgrade to the S9 medium tab.

I think the consensus is Koodo is great if you have a decent plan and are willing to stay for 24 months. But doesn't that apply to just about every other carrier?

With the new realities,
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6365 posts
6726 upvotes
Center of Canada
Bubblegum86 wrote: For some people $0 down + Paying off $360 Med Tab next day is different then $0 down and $360 over 2 years. This way they cant screw Koodo and go with a different carrier + cheap phone. Yes i get the 24 Month commitment, but to us with good Koodo plans it does not matter. I will get a new S10 or S10e cheap this BF/Christmas. I hope the churners who bought several phones from Koodo in the past get nothing from anywhere. They are in the same category like people who downvote every Lenovo thread with good deals because they cant get a $3000 system for next to nothing due to Price error.

I am holding out for good BF/Christmas deal on S10e as well.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2003
2363 posts
453 upvotes
Edmonton
All the butthurt phone churners who actually have to find a real job now downvoting.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4371 posts
6938 upvotes
TheRealSwatson wrote: How the hell does this have -34. Just because there was a crazy holiday deal last year on the S9 (because no one was buying them) doesnt mean this isnt a good deal...It's a one year old flagship for $0 down total tab value of $360, really pretty reasonable. BTW, people thinking they will get a repeat of the S9 and gift card deal but with the S10. GLHF! The S9 deal was insanely lava hot, not a yearly thing. Samsung didnt move any S9's because the design was near identical to the S8. I dont think they will need to move S10's this year.
Yeah, I jumped on the Boxing Day S9 deal last year through Walmart. $0 down, Medium Tab. I was already with Koodo, and just called in first to ensure I could keep my plan ($45 @ 10GB).

Don't think I'll ever beat that deal again. $150 WM GC, $150 bill credits on my account that Koodo said could be applied at WM, CSR gave additional $60 bill credits to offset the activation fee. I ended up getting the S9 for $86 new (still 1 year left on tab now).

I don't plan on leaving Koodo, so if anything ever comes even close to that, I have no problem doing another 24 months, even with the new system.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
2008 posts
2044 upvotes
VANCOUVER
retrothing wrote: I could get a 3GB Zoomer plan for $36/month, a total of $864 over 24 months. Or I could get a Koodo Medium plan for $55/month + $15 for the S9 tab, a total of $1680.

With that $36 Zoomer (Rogers) plan, I'd be pissed and would also be posting a totally irrelevant comment in a Koodo thread too!

Many of us have $35 6GB or $40 8GB plans. Heck they even offered me a $50 18GB plan.

But to your point: now that you got that shitty $36 BYOD plan, how are you getting a brand new S9 in Canada for cheap? Not from Zoomer since they don't even sell it.

Whereas us $35 and $40 Koodo people can get one for $360.

PS: aren't you being disingenuous by not clearly stating that the $36 plan is just a BYOD $40 2GB 400 minute plan with 10% off and a bonus 1GB. Things that could get taken away since they're not part of the plan... And that Zoomer is the geriatric sub brand of Rogers that still sell flip phones for boomers?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1866 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
Decent price from a carrier but not really a special deal overall. Kijiji/rfd BST value for a BNIB S9 is $400-500.

Samsung’s don’t hold value well. $360 plus tax, $407, is about market value. The benefit is that it’s from a carrier instead of rfd/kijiji. But that also means lock in.

S10e deal is better. I hope there’s some even better s10e deals over holidays/BF too.
Last edited by ObLaDi on Nov 10th, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)