Koodo TAB Waived on Upgrades (YMMV?)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2020 12:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1515 posts
832 upvotes

[Koodo] Koodo TAB Waived on Upgrades (YMMV?)

Not really sure what to make of this; possibly an exception offer being made due to poor Covid sales cycles?
There are (literally) hundreds of threads on RFD and other forums roasting Koodo alive over the new upgrade policies
(eg if you had a $360 TAB + a $450 data discount you would get BOTH charges should you cancel early, but many on these forums claim also getting hit for early upgrades)

Well Koodo advised me today of the "special offer" to do an early upgrade and I can not find any catch here
After questioning the Koodo rep he even went so far as to email me a copy of the upgrade offer
Def of interest for those who want to call in and see if its available on your accounts

Offer Details:
Early Upgrade Offer
Koodo will waive (up to) $125 outstanding TAB balance (considering entire TAB is only $360 that's up to a 1/3 savings!)
After offer is made you have 10 days to redeem it
Online waives the $40 connection fee
Images
  • koodohug.jpg
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 13GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
123 replies
May 6, 2020
782 posts
866 upvotes
Halifax
How much tab balance you have right now?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1746 posts
1013 upvotes
Sask
Are they also waiving the data discount as well for the early upgrade?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1515 posts
832 upvotes
Minimum balance must be $50 (4 months assuming $15 per month)
Mine is at only $75*
Offer says will cover up to $125

But remember the data amount owed is more than TAB amount owed
They waived more data discount than I added to TAB in first place
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1515 posts
832 upvotes
ced2334 wrote: Are they also waiving the data discount as well for the early upgrade?
Exactly
Which is why I suggest to call and inquire

The boiler plate form implies (to me) this is a pretty standard offer even if not everyone qualifies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2468 posts
1775 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Probably because your tab is small. I think the CSRs have a lot of leeway if the tab is a small amount.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1446 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Pretty solid deal for folks who can get it.
Now to go pester Freedom Mobile's CSRs. Lol
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They offered to waive my tab as well for $100 of $160. However upon questioning if he's sure that's all I have to pay, he put me on hold and came back and said I got a huge hardware tab bonus and I would have to pay on prorated basis. It seems the reps are not looking into hardware bonus but the billing department will when they look to sending the final bill.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1490 posts
1377 upvotes
Moncton
Yeah, if it's not including the pro-rated discount then it's not much different from what they used to do if you called in. Used to be pretty common to get a credit equiv to your current tab balance just by calling in.

I'd be livid if I jumped on this and then got hit with the remaining hardware discount on the next bill, especially since they have zero wiggle room to "fix" the issue after the fact and have shown themselves to be completely unwilling to revert back to the original state of your plan/tab if you weren't well informed about having to pay the pro-rated discount back.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2993 posts
3852 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lmao, I spoke to the rep on Facebook and she was like I am not eligible because I'm on a spending limit program, I asked her how could I be on that for over a year, i haven't upgraded my device since may of 2019. She didn't reply.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3316 posts
2272 upvotes
Langley
I had about $160 on my tab and they waived it for me about four months ago through retentions. This is pretty common with Koodo.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
4778 posts
7380 upvotes
BC
$125 credit or tab waive is pretty common with koodo. If anything it should be a larger credit with the new rules
Last edited by peakingduck on Jul 27th, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
3316 posts
2272 upvotes
Langley
iverson wrote: They offered to waive my tab as well for $100 of $160. However upon questioning if he's sure that's all I have to pay, he put me on hold and came back and said I got a huge hardware tab bonus and I would have to pay on prorated basis. It seems the reps are not looking into hardware bonus but the billing department will when they look to sending the final bill.
So what you're saying is that for the majority of people, there is no point in upgrading because you would have to pay the hardware bonus if you upgrade early?
ooof, what a lousy deal. Churners screwed it for all of us!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1839 posts
1421 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
What is the data discount and where can I find how much I have left?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1490 posts
1377 upvotes
Moncton
ZxExN wrote: What is the data discount and where can I find how much I have left?
They keep changing what they're calling it.... it's now being called a "tab bonus"
tab bonus.JPG

It's over and above your tab, and is pro-rated the same way as your tab is, but you don't pay it unless you cancel/upgrade before your 24 month term is up.

I've never had one (last phone was prior to them bringing this in) but I don't think there's an actual indication anywhere on the site... you'd probably have to call in or find your original bill for the initial "purchase" and then figure out the pro-rated amount from that based on how many months early you are cancelling/upgrading.
Feb 26, 2017
612 posts
428 upvotes
I wish they would just let me use my 40/6 plan with a reasonably priced phone/tab. I'm never getting rid of the plan and if I have to drop it, I'm dropping koodo..
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1968 posts
245 upvotes
Cold, this is no different then you just calling in and they giving you a discount off of the phone.

Plus at the moment all of Koodo's phones are way overpriced and some of them cost the same if not more than you buying the phone directly from the manufacturer.

Maybe when they start actually having a real sale on their phones then I'll consider upgrading my phone.

On the tab basic the google pixel 3a XL ( a 1 year old phone) is $672 in total + tax
Huawei p30 pro $1040 + tax (This can be bought for less than $900 off aliexpress and other retailers)
S10 $980 + tax (can be bought for cheaper directly from Samsung, currently for sale at $860)

Why the hell would I lock myself into an overpriced phone plan + pay more money for a phone when I can buy it cheaper directly from either the manufacturers or retailers?
Last edited by wolf30 on Jul 27th, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1839 posts
1421 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
sswilson wrote: They keep changing what they're calling it.... it's now being called a "tab bonus"
tab bonus.JPG

It's over and above your tab, and is pro-rated the same way as your tab is, but you don't pay it unless you cancel/upgrade before your 24 month term is up.

I've never had one (last phone was prior to them bringing this in) but I don't think there's an actual indication anywhere on the site... you'd probably have to call in or find your original bill for the initial "purchase" and then figure out the pro-rated amount from that based on how many months early you are cancelling/upgrading.
Thanks. And there is no way for them to waive this? I still have 17 months left on my tab ($170).
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2017
1490 posts
1377 upvotes
Moncton
ZxExN wrote: Thanks. And there is no way for them to waive this? I still have 17 months left on my tab ($170).
Not from what I've seen of other peoples' reported experiences on the subject. The CSRs have an upper limit of what they're allowed to hand out so if you had a lower tab balance it's possible that they'd offer to waive your balance and also give you an account credit equiv to your remaining "bonus" balance, but I doubt CSRs have the ability to offer more than $140 (just pulling a number out of my rear end as an example... :) ) total between the two.
Nov 22, 2018
45 posts
42 upvotes
I think Telus is quietly trying to kill Koodo, or at least peel off many of their customers.

On a regular basis, I’m now getting offers from Telus trying to get me to move my 3 small business lines over to Telus from Koodo. A year or so ago, when I contacted Telus they wouldn’t let me move to Telus from Koodo and take advantage of CFIB small businesses programs. They claimed existing customers including Koodo customers were not eligible.

Even the marketing I’m getting now is co-branded as Koodo but sent by Telus.