Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo unlmt calling+ 10gb data for $60/m + tab medium charge YMMV

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2018 10:45 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 7, 2013
534 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
spotts01 wrote: I don't think that is very good. PM has $50 /month plan and you get 6.5GB with unlimited Cda and USA calling. No activation with promos at Walmart currently
But isn't PM a vastly inferior network? Do they offer LTE?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 17, 2016
2003 posts
1326 upvotes
Ottawa
JagStyles wrote: But isn't PM a vastly inferior network? Do they offer LTE?
I switched to PM from Fido a month ago and haven't noticed any difference. The "3G speeds" they offer is actually an LTE connection with speeds capped at 3 Mbps.

It's all on Telus' network so coverage is fantastic.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 7, 2013
534 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
cappaj wrote: I switched to PM from Fido a month ago and haven't noticed any difference. The "3G speeds" they offer is actually an LTE connection with speeds capped at 3 Mbps.

It's all on Telus' network so coverage is fantastic.
I'm assuming to get this deal we would need to visit a local Walmart? Also, can they port my number over? Still wary of using 3G speeds as I rely on my cell phone for business purposes.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
16933 posts
6706 upvotes
Oakville
JagStyles wrote: But isn't PM a vastly inferior network? Do they offer LTE?
Exact same network (same company). PM's "3g" plans are just LTE capped at 3mpbs. Most people don't notice a difference unless they're streaming 1080p Or downloading large files.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 17, 2016
2003 posts
1326 upvotes
Ottawa
JagStyles wrote: I'm assuming to get this deal we would need to visit a local Walmart? Also, can they port my number over? Still wary of using 3G speeds as I rely on my cell phone for business purposes.
Another reason to be cautious of PM then would be their support model - all service, account, etc. issues are dealt with through private message to their community forum moderators (they dont have any call center support at all). It can take a day or two or three sometimes to fix things - not really the best provider if you absolutely need your phone.

For anyone who does want to switch to PM - there are free SIM and $25+ credit promos st Walmart, Lindon Drigs and WOW mobile boutique right now (there are threads for those in RFD forums somewhere). But signing up may not work to qualify you for this promo right away, if at all! Be prepared to stay with PM for a while if you port over, or to lose your investment if you temporarily sign up with a new line.

Edit: sorry, got mixed up on which thread this was - feel free to ignore any part of that second paragraph anyone who's looking at it, depending on what you're looking to do.
Last edited by cappaj on Aug 13th, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 20, 2016
1395 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
cappaj wrote: I switched to PM from Fido a month ago and haven't noticed any difference. The "3G speeds" they offer is actually an LTE connection with speeds capped at 3 Mbps.

It's all on Telus' network so coverage is fantastic.
Good to know! my contract with Telus ends next month, I was thinking in either break the bank and get a note9, pay $90/mo (with 300 down) or move away and get something cheaper at PM. Maybe getting a OP6 or something rather than a new contract phone... (want to change my s7e)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 17, 2016
2003 posts
1326 upvotes
Ottawa
neonic wrote: Good to know! my contract with Telus ends next month, I was thinking in either break the bank and get a note9, pay $90/mo (with 300 down) or move away and get something cheaper at PM. Maybe getting a OP6 or something rather than a new contract phone... (want to change my s7e)
If you do switch, take a look at the ongoing in store promos for free SIM and $25+ credit. And referral from an existing PM customer for $10 credit!

Note the drawbacks before you switch though, including what I said above about support via forum private message. Also, I don't think there's any international roaming (though they do have pretty good US roaming add ons).
I am a current customer of Public Mobile and Koodo and STACK
Sr. Member
Jan 12, 2008
971 posts
302 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm also on the BYOD 10GB/$60. I never get their promotional texts, is there a way to sign up?

But i've been itching for a new phone anyways and was playing on their site for the past few weeks. I've been able to add a medium tab to my so-called BYOD line for a few weeks now, all the way up to the finalization stage. Just haven't pulled the trigger because i'm waiting for a better deal on a S8+/9+.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
11224 posts
10245 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: I'm assuming to get this deal we would need to visit a local Walmart? Also, can they port my number over? Still wary of using 3G speeds as I rely on my cell phone for business purposes.
Activate at store and try it for a few days before porr your number to PM
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Jr. Member
Dec 5, 2017
117 posts
81 upvotes
Calgary
I am also on the BYOD 10GB/$60 since last November. I have attempted to add a tab multiple times in the past, but whenever I get to the screen where you choose the plan, my 10GB plan was never available. I would have had to choose a lower GB/higher cost plan if I wanted to go further.

Just now, I decided to test, and after I add a phone to a medium tab, when it asks me to select a plan, I can now choose my 10GB plan.

so I'm guessing they just automatically converted our plan to a Medium tab plan? If so, that's awesome!
thefeebster wrote: I'm also on the BYOD 10GB/$60. I never get their promotional texts, is there a way to sign up?

But i've been itching for a new phone anyways and was playing on their site for the past few weeks. I've been able to add a medium tab to my so-called BYOD line for a few weeks now. all the way up to the finalization stage. Just haven't pulled the trigger because i'm waiting for a better deal on a S8+/9+.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 7, 2013
534 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Here's the best part... I just called Rogers, my current provider, where i have a $148 device balance remaining on 1 of the 3 lines on the account. We currently pay $220/mth taxes included but of this amount $21.45/mth is for my daughter's tab where she upgraded her device a while back. I offered to pay off the device balance with a lump-sum payment to see what they could offer me. Here's the kicker, they said my monthly payments would stay the same even after paying off the device balance because the original plan my daughter was on is no longer available and is now $20/mth more than it was before.

So let me get this straight, I call to see if you can offer me something to stay with you after I've been a customer for over 10 years and you turn around and tell me that even if I pay off the device balance in full, not only will you not offer my anything but my payments remain the same? BYE BYE ROGERS!
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 7, 2013
534 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Interesting, just checked Koodo site again and they have the following promo:

- Google Pixel 2 XL 64GB
- Activation Credits -$605.00
- Medium Tab Discount -$360.00
- Connection Fee Waived
- 4GB Data, Unlimited Calling/Texting

Total Due - $350.00 + $70/mth + Tax

Seems cheaper to buy this Google Pixel 2 XL phone through this Koodo promotion than it is directly from Google with Google's current promotion of $200 off. Is there an even cheaper way to get the Google PIxel 2XL? I'm thinking maybe it's worth waiting until October when the XL 3 is launched?

The notches on all these new phones are driving me nuts - such a terrible design.
Jr. Member
Dec 8, 2012
144 posts
144 upvotes
Winnipeg
JagStyles wrote: Here's the best part... I just called Rogers, my current provider, where i have a $148 device balance remaining on 1 of the 3 lines on the account. We currently pay $220/mth taxes included but of this amount $21.45/mth is for my daughter's tab where she upgraded her device a while back. I offered to pay off the device balance with a lump-sum payment to see what they could offer me. Here's the kicker, they said my monthly payments would stay the same even after paying off the device balance because the original plan my daughter was on is no longer available and is now $20/mth more than it was before.

So let me get this straight, I call to see if you can offer me something to stay with you after I've been a customer for over 10 years and you turn around and tell me that even if I pay off the device balance in full, not only will you not offer my anything but my payments remain the same? BYE BYE ROGERS!
Before you cancel just set up a cancellation date and wait for a call from either Winback team (most likely) or Retentions, in a day or two you will receive a call, you might get a better offer. Check Rogers/Fido Winback offers Rfd threads.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Aug 7, 2013
534 posts
115 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
adsshakeel wrote: Before you cancel just set up a cancellation date and wait for a call from either Winback team (most likely) or Retentions, in a day or two you will receive a call, you might get a better offer. Check Rogers/Fido Winback offers Rfd threads.
Great idea... Do you know how far in advance I can set my cancellation date for and if I change my mind, can I remove the cancellation date or once it's set, there's no turning back? Also, if the intention was to port all the numbers, does that have an impact as well?

Top