Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

Koodo Wireless Home Phone now $10/mo ongoing price

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 9:45 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2007
1054 posts
92 upvotes
Note that the referral promo is for wireless cellphone service only so you can't be referred for home phone
Officially joined the ranks of Deal addicts across the country - 12/12/07
Once you get the first taste of great deals you can't stop...
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1432 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
why would I choose this $10 deal over OOMA $10 option? I don't need a lecture on the difference between VoIP and Cell service and I know OOMA's upfront cost is higher. My question is about value for money and features.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2008
1322 posts
282 upvotes
I wonder how much is Koodo's price for a non Koodo mobile customers. Telus outlined their price @30 and I remember Fido's used to be $40 (for non mobile customers) since I had Fido cell plan + home plan and I was going to cancel the cell plan and wanted to know what's the cost consequence of the home line.
Virgin doesn't say if its available to virgin cell customer, to non-cell and what's the price differential if it's available and exist.

I would like to get a GSM home phone - basically Fido/Rogers since in this event I can put the SIM card in my Siemens S55 and use it just like in old days.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mcfrugal wrote: why would I choose this $10 deal over OOMA $10 option? I don't need a lecture on the difference between VoIP and Cell service and I know OOMA's upfront cost is higher. My question is about value for money and features.
Not sure I understand your question - if OOMA's upfront costs are higher, and the monthly fees are the same, why WOULDN'T you go with this deal? :S
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Jan 3, 2013
919 posts
475 upvotes
Mississauga
dgnr8 wrote: So compared to the last deal you are paying $60 more for the year for price protection. Unless you really need a phone line this isn't a great deal.
If you were planning on having this home phone for more than 15 months, it is a better deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
4391 posts
1505 upvotes
QC
Anyone unlocked the required device for this service? I saw a bunch of those on Kijiji that seems to be locked on Fido.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2005
1797 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
can you put the sim card into a cell phone?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2009
2756 posts
1630 upvotes
Ontario
mcfrugal wrote: why would I choose this $10 deal over OOMA $10 option? I don't need a lecture on the difference between VoIP and Cell service and I know OOMA's upfront cost is higher. My question is about value for money and features.
I have Ooma also but I pay $4.50 a month, in the long run it is cheaper for me to stay, not to mention I am very happy with it since I got it over 3 years ago. It goes without saying it needs internet to work, so phone cost is not the only consideration.
Currently happy customer with Koodo, Roger and Virgin Mobile.
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2003
1000 posts
136 upvotes
Ontario
Going to sign my mom to this as Bell is like $50/mo
But what's best way for her to save on calling long distance to Europe? Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Well many people would prefer the flexibility of NOT having to depend on ANOTHER internet provider for the service to work.
For $10, you get the internet connection & telephone service.
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
Koodo will not provision an unlocked hub from another provider.
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
CAN/US POM Tablet $0.00 x 2
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
dgnr8 wrote: So compared to the last deal you are paying $60 more for the year for price protection. Unless you really need a phone line this isn't a great deal.
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
CAN/US POM Tablet $0.00 x 2
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1432 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: Well many people would prefer the flexibility of NOT having to depend on ANOTHER internet provider for the service to work.
For $10, you get the internet connection & telephone service.
thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1432 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Not sure I understand your question - if OOMA's upfront costs are higher, and the monthly fees are the same, why WOULDN'T you go with this deal? :S
OOMA's features for the FREE monthly option are comparable to Koodo home. The OOMA $10 option has way more features than Koodo (email voice mails for example). after about 5-6 month of service Koodo and OOMA would break even in terms of upfront cost. I'm looking for a new service for the next 2-4 years at least ... I can't be bothered porting numbers every 12 month just to save five bucks ....
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mcfrugal wrote: thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
This also makes sense for those who have cottages;
They can simply take this with them anywhere in Canada, and it will work without any additional equipment or internet connections.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
vaporize wrote: can you put the sim card into a cell phone?
Won't work. Koodo sim for home phone is locked to the hub they sold you.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49008 posts
10301 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mcfrugal wrote: OOMA's features for the FREE monthly option are comparable to Koodo home. The OOMA $10 option has way more features than Koodo (email voice mails for example). after about 5-6 month of service Koodo and OOMA would break even in terms of upfront cost. I'm looking for a new service for the next 2-4 years at least ... I can't be bothered porting numbers every 12 month just to save five bucks ....
I just checked and OOMA is not free, there are $4+ in taxes to be paid, so the break even mark is longer than that. There are many VOIP options out there for $4/mo., I would think.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote: thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
The other advantage is that when your Internet goes down in a power failure, the Koodo hub will work on the battery for some hours so you can still make and receive calls.
Jun 11, 2012
215 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to goto the trouble of opening a new account. You can have multi lines within an account and receive the referral. It is stated on their website. Just do a bit of searching to find it. Opening a new account will cause a credit check which you don't want to do.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)