Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo Wireless Home Phone now $10/mo ongoing price

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 9:45 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mcfrugal wrote: why would I choose this $10 deal over OOMA $10 option? I don't need a lecture on the difference between VoIP and Cell service and I know OOMA's upfront cost is higher. My question is about value for money and features.
Well many people would prefer the flexibility of NOT having to depend on ANOTHER internet provider for the service to work.
For $10, you get the internet connection & telephone service.
Member
Jun 21, 2010
252 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
Koodo will not provision an unlocked hub from another provider.
Member
Jun 21, 2010
252 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
dgnr8 wrote: So compared to the last deal you are paying $60 more for the year for price protection. Unless you really need a phone line this isn't a great deal.
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2009
899 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
mobifree wrote: Well many people would prefer the flexibility of NOT having to depend on ANOTHER internet provider for the service to work.
For $10, you get the internet connection & telephone service.
thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2009
899 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: Not sure I understand your question - if OOMA's upfront costs are higher, and the monthly fees are the same, why WOULDN'T you go with this deal? :S
OOMA's features for the FREE monthly option are comparable to Koodo home. The OOMA $10 option has way more features than Koodo (email voice mails for example). after about 5-6 month of service Koodo and OOMA would break even in terms of upfront cost. I'm looking for a new service for the next 2-4 years at least ... I can't be bothered porting numbers every 12 month just to save five bucks ....
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 26, 2011
2605 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mcfrugal wrote: thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
This also makes sense for those who have cottages;
They can simply take this with them anywhere in Canada, and it will work without any additional equipment or internet connections.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7109 posts
1170 upvotes
Toronto
vaporize wrote: can you put the sim card into a cell phone?
Won't work. Koodo sim for home phone is locked to the hub they sold you.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44380 posts
4969 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mcfrugal wrote: OOMA's features for the FREE monthly option are comparable to Koodo home. The OOMA $10 option has way more features than Koodo (email voice mails for example). after about 5-6 month of service Koodo and OOMA would break even in terms of upfront cost. I'm looking for a new service for the next 2-4 years at least ... I can't be bothered porting numbers every 12 month just to save five bucks ....
I just checked and OOMA is not free, there are $4+ in taxes to be paid, so the break even mark is longer than that. There are many VOIP options out there for $4/mo., I would think.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 5, 2006
7109 posts
1170 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote: thanks. That makes sense - just not in my situation. In my case unlimited high speed internet is considered a "must have" and home phone is considered an add on. So I think the Koodo home deal only makes sense for people without permanent unlimited high speed internet in their home
The other advantage is that when your Internet goes down in a power failure, the Koodo hub will work on the battery for some hours so you can still make and receive calls.
Jr. Member
Jun 11, 2012
135 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
You don't have to goto the trouble of opening a new account. You can have multi lines within an account and receive the referral. It is stated on their website. Just do a bit of searching to find it. Opening a new account will cause a credit check which you don't want to do.
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 28, 2013
9 posts
2 upvotes
Weymouth
mcfrugal wrote: OOMA's features for the FREE monthly option are comparable to Koodo home. The OOMA $10 option has way more features than Koodo (email voice mails for example). after about 5-6 month of service Koodo and OOMA would break even in terms of upfront cost. I'm looking for a new service for the next 2-4 years at least ... I can't be bothered porting numbers every 12 month just to save five bucks ....
Many other people have said this comparison is apples to oranges, as Koodo is cellular, while Ooma depends on internet. There's other reasons too though. Not all of us here live in the GTA or any other major urban centre. I tried to get ooma recently but they simply do not offer numbers here nor do they transfer. I've only been successful in finding one VoIP provider that will do transfer's for where I live, which is Acrovoice, but their costs make it not worth. Meanwhile, this offer is $10 and given how cellular covers basically everywhere as far as number portability goes, all you need is coverage to reach your home. Luckily I have a weboost for that as I'm 12km away from the tower :o

So for $10/mo this is a great deal and beats any voip options I can get.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3026 posts
2731 upvotes
sroghen wrote: Anyone knows if this works with alarm system, e.g. TMC?
I want to know too .... I would dump Bell in a heartbeat if this works with alarm monitoring
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 22, 2004
2428 posts
450 upvotes
Quick question re: referral. I have Koodo home phone, but not a mobile account. Thinking of signing up the inlaws. Is the referral credit only to mobile users?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3311 posts
1364 upvotes
Toronto
knapper wrote: Quick question re: referral. I have Koodo home phone, but not a mobile account. Thinking of signing up the inlaws. Is the referral credit only to mobile users?
Last time, a member reported that a home phone user is not allowed to send out referrals.

koodo-koodo-wireless-home-phone-50-5-mo ... #p27447350

I am not sure this is an individual case or not. I got my credits for my home phone back in September when I used my wireless account to do the referral. Not sure Koodo has changed anything or not.

If you call in, the answer is probably "no". If you do it quietly, you may still get it. My suggestion is to send the referral from a wireless account. Do not port in an old number untill the referral credits is applied.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3311 posts
1364 upvotes
Toronto
pongster wrote: I want to know too .... I would dump Bell in a heartbeat if this works with alarm monitoring
The simple answer is "no" for most alarm systems. You need to call your provider to confirm.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet

Top