Where do I buy a phone system to work on Koodo? Thankss
Dec 28, 2008
57 posts
12 upvotes
Quebec
G0DKING wrote: Read to the end, bro:
"Ranjan, Official Rep
12,410 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi all - confirmed that the current $10 promotion is indeed valid for the length of your service with Koodo, i.e. doesn't expire after one-year. The team will be updating the copy on the website to reflect this.
"
Looks like Ranjan deleted his answer :(
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
I think it's better to compare Ooma with other VOIP, like using a Obi200 with Freephoneline/VOIP.ms/Google voice. I like the latter better because it's free for life. But there are other cost like E911 and cost to set up.

With Koodo, like somebody else has said, it's based on cellular. Despite its advantage (bring the hub anywhere in Canada with you, no dependence on internet service), it has the limitations that (1) it does not work with fax (2) Call ID is limited to number only, no name (3) though the WF721 is supposed to work with answering machine, it doesn't! The net result is that when a caller leaves a message, the line does not hang up properly or never hangs up! There is a discussion on Koodo forum on this topic which has something to do with the fact that the cellular signal is compressed and the answering machine cannot handle it. Of course you can rely on the voicemail provided by Kudo, but with my parents not being fluent in either official languages, there is a lot of steps to go through in Koodo voicemail service, especially when you have to dial 1 to initiate voicemail, a feature not readily intuitive to lots of old folks.

I have found workaround to the above, but the bottom line is that if you have internet, Obi200/202+FPL/GV is the best and cheapest option in the long run and provides lots of options with superb voice quality. Ooma is the next best thing for folks not too inclined to program the Obi. For people like my parents who don't have internet who don't need faxing and who needs phone services even in the event of a blackout, Koodo seems to be the best option (or Zoomer).
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
TheZodiac wrote: Where do I buy a phone system to work on Koodo? Thankss
I plug the line out of the WF721 into my ex-Bell wall outlet (making sure that Bell is disconnected) et voila - All wire or wireless phone connected to the wall outlet will work except like I said previously the answering machine. (The Vtech 3-unit wireless with answering machine that I bought from Costco does work with Koodo WF721. After the caller hangs up, it beeps 3 times then the line is correctly disconnected). The 3-beep is a bit annoying but is way better than my other answering machine which will not disconnect and beeps continuously until somebody manually intervenes.
Apr 7, 2006
301 posts
271 upvotes
when the hell are they going to offer this in AB
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2576 posts
395 upvotes
I picked this up today and am a bit disappointed in the voice quality. My alternate plan was to use a VoIP plan from teksavvy.

Can anyone comment on the VoIP quality vs this?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
e-man wrote: I picked this up today and am a bit disappointed in the voice quality. My alternate plan was to use a VoIP plan from teksavvy.

Can anyone comment on the VoIP quality vs this?
Just asking - do you have a really strong signal with it? What kind of phone are you using? All our family and friends have commented on how clear our line is now compared with our old Rogers landline so I'm surprised to read your comment (not doubting, just surprised).
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2576 posts
395 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: Just asking - do you have a really strong signal with it? What kind of phone are you using? All our family and friends have commented on how clear our line is now compared with our old Rogers landline so I'm surprised to read your comment (not doubting, just surprised).
I think that might the issue. Using my Android phone and my work Telus phone SIM, I was able to measure out the signal strength. It fluctuates between -82 to -99 dbm. From what little I understand, that isn't a good signal. So I wonder if that is it.

Another interesting point. I use Panasonic cordless phones. I found that the dial tone on the phone is actually clearer now, but when I dial out and talk, it isn't as good.
(\__/)
Jan 8, 2009
739 posts
387 upvotes
GTA
e-man wrote: I think that might the issue. Using my Android phone and my work Telus phone SIM, I was able to measure out the signal strength. It fluctuates between -82 to -99 dbm. From what little I understand, that isn't a good signal. So I wonder if that is it.

Another interesting point. I use Panasonic cordless phones. I found that the dial tone on the phone is actually clearer now, but when I dial out and talk, it isn't as good.
We use vtech cordless phones. We're in a condo and we have the hub near a window with full signal strength (5 bars), the antenna turned that way as well, and we have the cordless phone base plugged into the "phone 2 port" - I don't know whether any of this is helpful or not but I thought I'd put it here anyway. Oh and we've separated the hub and the base by a foot - different sides of a nightstand - as it says that can cause issues as well.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2003
2576 posts
395 upvotes
jrbb0309 wrote: We use vtech cordless phones. We're in a condo and we have the hub near a window with full signal strength (5 bars), the antenna turned that way as well, and we have the cordless phone base plugged into the "phone 2 port" - I don't know whether any of this is helpful or not but I thought I'd put it here anyway. Oh and we've separated the hub and the base by a foot - different sides of a nightstand - as it says that can cause issues as well.
Interesting. I have full bars too, but I'm pretty sure my signal strength isn't that strong. I will try to separate the devices a bit to see what happens. On a slightly different note, I popped in a couple of different SIMs (wind, Rogers) and I got red bars, which suggests that it is a locked device.
(\__/)
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3831 posts
1129 upvotes
QC
So can mobile user can send referal for this service?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3312 posts
1366 upvotes
Toronto
jfmartel wrote: So can mobile user can send referal for this service?
Yes.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 10, 2009
768 posts
284 upvotes
Toronto, ON
9613019 wrote: Yes.
Good to know. I think I will refer myself and few of family and friends from my mobile account
Koodo $40/6GB, $35/5GB
Public Mobile customer
Rogers 500u - $30
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
3831 posts
1129 upvotes
QC
Just back from the koodo service point. CSR called head office and confirmed that price will go up at the 14th month to the regular 20$/mo.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3184 posts
752 upvotes
jfmartel wrote: Just back from the koodo service point. CSR called head office and confirmed that price will go up at the 14th month to the regular 20$/mo.
I think they're wrong. See here:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo ... hone-offer

Make sure you click on the "View Previous" under the second post. Koodo has confirmed that the $10 is permanent.

I also confirmed with a Koodo "store manager" prior to signing up. He confirmed that the $10 will not go up. As well, I have received my first bill, it clearly indicates that my plan is "$10 Wireless Home Phone UL". In my previous $5/month for 12 months plan, the bill said the plan is "$20 Wireless Home Phone UL" with a "$15 Home Phone Discount - 12mo".

So I'm pretty sure that the $10/month is permanent.