Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo Wireless Home Phone now $10/mo ongoing price

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2017 9:45 pm
Aug 11, 2016
7 posts
3 upvotes
Anyone port a number over from voip.ms to Koodo home phone and if so how did you do? I went to sign up for home phone at the koodo kiosk today and agent couldn't do as he said it wasn't in the menu to sign me up and kept getting an error and not being able to go to next screen of sign up (but koodo site says my number can be ported). He wanted to set up a temporary number and then customer service could do later. I didn't feel like setting up with a temporary number only to find later that I could not port my voip.ms number over (had that home phone number for 25+ years) and then do the whole return and credit thing with the box. So can a voip.ms number be ported over to Koodo home phone and if so how?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2877 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
can you use this for fax machine like the printer all-in-one with fax?
Sep 2, 2007
719 posts
207 upvotes
boldventure wrote: can you use this for fax machine like the printer all-in-one with fax?
Someone said in the previous thread that you could not.
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
kenze wrote: True but who doesn't have Internet nowadays? Also, you start saving 11$~ per month (tax included) for the rest of your life after a year.
My mother of 89 years old does not have internet. Installing internet is possible, but for the seniors who don't surf the internet, it is expensive even with the cheapest DSL (modem and installation plus monthly fees)
+ if you lose power, the phone goes dead with the internet unless you have a UPS (expensive over $200 for maybe a few hours)
In contrast Koodo WF721 will keep its charge for 24 hrs enabling the phone to continue to function, installation is really easy etc.

The drawback with Koodo is you do not get name calling ID just number. I can live with that by programming the most frequent caller into the local phone. Also, if you want to use the voicemail on the local phone rather than Koodo voicemail, it really is a pain as Koodo line would not hang up at the end of the message for most phones. I also notice that the line hangs sometimes and you have to hang up for a few minutes before you can dial out again. But overall I am happy with the price.
Apr 7, 2011
755 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
I just signed up for the $5 a month deal. The rep said my account will show that $20 is the monthly fee, but for the first 12 months I'll only be charged $5.

Anyone that signed up in March get the same thing?
A little concerned since nothing on my account mentions the $5 deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3126 posts
1281 upvotes
Montreal
BestFind wrote: My mother of 89 years old does not have internet. Installing internet is possible, but for the seniors who don't surf the internet, it is expensive even with the cheapest DSL (modem and installation plus monthly fees)
+ if you lose power, the phone goes dead with the internet unless you have a UPS (expensive over $200 for maybe a few hours)
In contrast Koodo WF721 will keep its charge for 24 hrs enabling the phone to continue to function, installation is really easy etc.

The drawback with Koodo is you do not get name calling ID just number. I can live with that by programming the most frequent caller into the local phone. Also, if you want to use the voicemail on the local phone rather than Koodo voicemail, it really is a pain as Koodo line would not hang up at the end of the message for most phones. I also notice that the line hangs sometimes and you have to hang up for a few minutes before you can dial out again. But overall I am happy with the price.
Well, I did mention seniors as the exception in an earlier post... (Especially those with health problems who may need to call 911.) I agree that this plan is more suitable to them.

I still believe that FPL is better for the majority of the population.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3578 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
Poolboy13 wrote: Anyone port a number over from voip.ms to Koodo home phone and if so how did you do? I went to sign up for home phone at the koodo kiosk today and agent couldn't do as he said it wasn't in the menu to sign me up and kept getting an error and not being able to go to next screen of sign up (but koodo site says my number can be ported). He wanted to set up a temporary number and then customer service could do later. I didn't feel like setting up with a temporary number only to find later that I could not port my voip.ms number over (had that home phone number for 25+ years) and then do the whole return and credit thing with the box. So can a voip.ms number be ported over to Koodo home phone and if so how?
You can port that number over if Koodo also services that area. Usually porting from a VOIP provider number is not as smooth, it can take up to 10 days. The Koodo CSR was correct. You can use one of their numbers, and eventually, your number will get ported over. You old number will probably lose service for less than an hour, usually 5 minutes. Again, the port can take 10 business days, and it happens when it happens once the port is initiated. Since it is a bit more complicated to port some numbers, you will need to call a Koodo CSR once you have the Koodo service and a temp number.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3578 posts
1849 upvotes
Halifax
Andrew4Life wrote: I just signed up for the $5 a month deal. The rep said my account will show that $20 is the monthly fee, but for the first 12 months I'll only be charged $5.

So nothing has changed I see.

I still get nothing telling me about the promotion, but I am still expected to pay $5 a month, so I do. I know I will port out in August before the rate goes to $20, unless there is a $10 deal available again.
Mar 5, 2017
2 posts
Is anyone aware of a cellular plan with comparable prices? I don't need text or data, just for talks. TIA.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
2877 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Andrew4Life wrote: I just signed up for the $5 a month deal. The rep said my account will show that $20 is the monthly fee, but for the first 12 months I'll only be charged $5.

it will show in the billing statement as $20 and -$15 discount
I had this since the promo 1st came out
Apr 7, 2011
755 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
I "ported" over on Friday. As of today, all incoming calls go to the old phone line. I can however place outgoing calls on both my new and old phone line and they both show up with the same number that I had ported over.

is this normal?
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
boldventure wrote: it will show in the billing statement as $20 and -$15 discount
I had this since the promo 1st came out
I signed up on Jan 28. The 1st bill was for (1) Jan 28 to Feb 7 and (2) from Feb 8 to March 7. In (1) it would prorate the $20 rate to the number of days, but no discount and then it will apply the $15 discount on the 1st full month (2). I was shocked a bit of having to pay for (1) at $20 rate - some people have reported that by calling them they would adjust, but it's YMMV. It is a great pain to navigate their system as I think they obviously want you to use the self service and NOT call/email them. I resign by not calling because I would imagine the same drama will repeat on Month 12, and I rather not fight.
Dec 24, 2010
282 posts
205 upvotes
Brossard, Qc
kenze wrote: Well, I did mention seniors as the exception in an earlier post... (Especially those with health problems who may need to call 911.) I agree that this plan is more suitable to them.

I still believe that FPL is better for the majority of the population.
I wholeheartedly agree - I myself have Obi202/FPL/GV/VOIP.ms and I set up similar Obi200 at my 2 sister houses - we save tons of money and never lookback to the old Bell/$35/month with no feature. FPL has name CNAM (rudimentary but better than Koodo) + you can do other stuff (faxing/voicemail) that I can't do with Koodo. So while Koodo fits my mother senior need (she does not have or use internet) and need 911, the Obi20x/FPL is far far superior in value.
Sep 2, 2007
719 posts
207 upvotes
BestFind wrote: I wholeheartedly agree - I myself have Obi202/FPL/GV/VOIP.ms and I set up similar Obi200 at my 2 sister houses - we save tons of money and never lookback to the old Bell/$35/month with no feature. FPL has name CNAM (rudimentary but better than Koodo) + you can do other stuff (faxing/voicemail) that I can't do with Koodo. So while Koodo fits my mother senior need (she does not have or use internet) and need 911, the Obi20x/FPL is far far superior in value.
FYI if you dial "112" from any cell phone in Canada (or if you are in virtually any country in the world ) you should end up at the "911" or equivalent thereof in the country where your call originates

Koodo is a cell based service therefore dialing "911" or "112" should route you to emergency services.