• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2018 1:17 pm
Feb 28, 2008
671 posts
255 upvotes
Canada
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 12:55 am
Dang it, so what is the arrangement of GCs at the retailers? I'm not worried about those overpriced accessories anyway so unless it's a GC, I rather do it online.
$150 according to WOW website plus $50 you and someone mentioned. Medium tab (plus activation and plan cost).
Dec 25, 2017
584 posts
445 upvotes
tntdeal wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:10 am
$150 according to WOW website plus $50 you and someone mentioned. Medium tab (plus activation and plan cost).
I was just going with whatever someone else mentioned. Hmm... so this isn't the best route, is it? I mean now I own a extra $120 in the tab and be dinged $35 in activation fees. Guess online is the best?
Jul 5, 2018
116 posts
375 upvotes
willy0275 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:18 am
I have to admit I'm pretty much anti-LG since my LG G5 crumbled down, but OP thanked because @ $240 this is definitely a great deal.
I debated between an s7 and a g5 a couple years ago. I ultimately got the s7. I had a bit of buyers remorse and wondered if I should have gotten a g5 since the concept seemed good and I like removable batteries to. Later that year for black friday my significant other was still using an s4 and needed an update. The g5 was a good deal on a mid plan. I recommended it since I almost got it but got s7 instead. After about 5 months it started getting an error and randomly shutting down. She went to telecom provider and they shipped it off for repair under warranty. Then they completely refused to fix it. They said there's corrosion and it must be user caused from water damage. They didn't care whatsoever and tried to sell her a new phone at market price. I knew it never touched water nor had this type of damage. I used my technical knowledge to even confirm. Not a single water damage strip was discolored, nor had it ever touched water to her knowledge. Lg refused to do anything either. After bugging LG enough they shipped out a replacement battery pack and said if it didn't work she was basically screwed. The shipped battery pack was defective and wouldnt lock in place on one side. So it would slide out often. It fixed the issue but every now and then it'd come unjammed despite it being in a case to keep it together. She would often find it turned off despite needing it for work and being on call often. She had to revert to her s4 phone. After I got a new phone she got my hand me down s7 and will never get another LG. Had the shipped replacement battery not been defective in this manner she'd probably be taking this deal and getting this phone right now as she's no longer locked in despite the original trouble she had. But the combination of the original issue, the telecom company (not Koodo), the trouble of getting a replacement part from LG, and the replacement part being defective she won't even consider it. I actually had a lot of respect for the g5 and the innovation of it on first release. But ultimately they truly convinced me I dodged a bullet after I saw the issues she had and many others had from online forums. With the s7 I did get a peeling home butting which seems to be a common defect. But that's nothing compared to what many g5 users faced.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3028 posts
1186 upvotes
Halifax
MyUsernameDoesntMatter wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 2:30 am
I debated between an s7 and a g5 a couple years ago. I ultimately got the s7. I had a bit of buyers remorse and wondered if I should have gotten a g5 since the concept seemed good and I like removable batteries to. Later that year for black friday my significant other was still using an s4 and needed an update. The g5 was a good deal on a mid plan. I recommended it since I almost got it but got s7 instead. After about 5 months it started getting an error and randomly shutting down. She went to telecom provider and they shipped it off for repair under warranty. Then they completely refused to fix it. They said there's corrosion and it must be user caused from water damage. They didn't care whatsoever and tried to sell her a new phone at market price. I knew it never touched water nor had this type of damage. I used my technical knowledge to even confirm. Not a single water damage strip was discolored, nor had it ever touched water to her knowledge. Lg refused to do anything either. After bugging LG enough they shipped out a replacement battery pack and said if it didn't work she was basically screwed. The shipped battery pack was defective and wouldnt lock in place on one side. So it would slide out often. It fixed the issue but every now and then it'd come unjammed despite it being in a case to keep it together. She would often find it turned off despite needing it for work and being on call often. She had to revert to her s4 phone. After I got a new phone she got my hand me down s7 and will never get another LG. Had the shipped replacement battery not been defective in this manner she'd probably be taking this deal and getting this phone right now as she's no longer locked in despite the original trouble she had. But the combination of the original issue, the telecom company (not Koodo), the trouble of getting a replacement part from LG, and the replacement part being defective she won't even consider it. I actually had a lot of respect for the g5 and the innovation of it on first release. But ultimately they truly convinced me I dodged a bullet after I saw the issues she had and many others had from online forums. With the s7 I did get a peeling home butting which seems to be a common defect. But that's nothing compared to what many g5 users faced.
The only LG phone anyone should buy is a new LG closeout phone. Any manufacturing defects are usually already addressed by the end part of their run.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1287 posts
690 upvotes
Friends don’t let friends buy LG phones.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1733 posts
924 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
shayne85 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:47 am
The joke is on you cause I don't have any friends.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2597 posts
545 upvotes
Vancouver
shayne85 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 8:47 am
I sometimes get the LG hate as they always seem on the cusp of making an ideal phone, yet gimp it up one way or another. I've stuck by them and generally still like them, partly due to limited alternatives.

Personally I don't want to use a Chinese phone (some are fine with it, personal choice) so Huawei is out. I still like a micro SD card slot, so no Pixel. I want a top tier phone and need one carried by the major carriers as my phone is company paid, so Asus is gone (Motorola, for it being owned by Lenovo is also out because Rogers doesn't carry the Z). I'm left with Samsung and LG. I had the Samsung S4 and hated the UI. I assume it's improved but now don't like the curved screen. Samsung also has its own issues.

The LG may not be flashy, but I just generally like it's overall feel and ethos. I wish it had a better camera, i could've done without the bootloop on my G4, and you can always improve on things like battery life, but it just kind of works for me.

Now mind you, I also drive Acuras, so maybe it's an unloved/wallflower thing for me, haha.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
4746 posts
968 upvotes
I just got back from TMS and picked up the G6. I just activated a new line.

+ Small tab $240
+ $35 x 3 months (talk and text plan and stay 3 months)
+ $35 activation fee
- $250 (in PC points)
- $35 credit on 3rd bill
- $20 referral credit

Then I got a $50 trade in credit and picked up a case.

$240+$105+35-$250-$35-$20=$75 + taxes and $50 trade in credit.

He also offered me the A5 that came with $300 in PC points on a new line on a tab small. The G6 on a hardware upgrade was $240 tab small - $150 in PC points + $35 activation = $125.
Last edited by Aggy on Nov 10th, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11583 posts
2476 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Bishop8 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 12:22 pm
I sometimes get the LG hate as they always seem on the cusp of making an ideal phone, yet gimp it up one way or another. I've stuck by them and generally still like them, partly due to limited alternatives.

Personally I don't want to use a Chinese phone (some are fine with it, personal choice) so Huawei is out. I still like a micro SD card slot, so no Pixel. I want a top tier phone and need one carried by the major carriers as my phone is company paid, so Asus is gone (Motorola, for it being owned by Lenovo is also out because Rogers doesn't carry the Z). I'm left with Samsung and LG. I had the Samsung S4 and hated the UI. I assume it's improved but now don't like the curved screen. Samsung also has its own issues.

The LG may not be flashy, but I just generally like it's overall feel and ethos. I wish it had a better camera, i could've done without the bootloop on my G4, and you can always improve on things like battery life, but it just kind of works for me.

Now mind you, I also drive Acuras, so maybe it's an unloved/wallflower thing for me, haha.
To this day I still think the G2 is the phone that put LG on the smartphone map, in terms of its improvement over the preceding model, and how well it stacked up against the superphones of that vintage, in all aspects of performance. Heck, we still have 2 of them. My wife is still using one without issues. Battery lasts a long time, and charges really quickly. Sure, it's stuck on Android 4 something, but most people don't care, or wouldn't know any better.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11583 posts
2476 upvotes
VANCOUVER
IEpicDestroyer wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:58 am
I was just going with whatever someone else mentioned. Hmm... so this isn't the best route, is it? I mean now I own a extra $120 in the tab and be dinged $35 in activation fees. Guess online is the best?
Actually I didn't realize the GC promo is on Tab M. If that's the case, then ordering directly online would be the easier option, or pick one up from TMS, if you shop at Superstore and can use the points.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1733 posts
924 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Aggy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:30 pm
The G6 on a hardware upgrade was $240 tab small - $150 in PC points + $35 activation = $125.
TMS will do a hardware upgrade for customers already on koodo and give them pc points?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
4746 posts
968 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 3:27 pm
TMS will do a hardware upgrade for customers already on koodo and give them pc points?
That was my other option. He said they don't advertise other than the whiteboard at the store so maybe it's store specific?
Jan 26, 2004
842 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Just got back from Scarborough Town. They offer med tab and 250 gc or small tab and 100 gc. If you do med tab minus 250 it's about 110, small tab 240 minus 100 is 140.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1326 posts
172 upvotes
Calgary
w0507636 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:15 pm
Love my LG G6. Have had for about a year, battery lasts me all day with moderate use. To me it has a great camera. Far from sluggish but I also don't have a million apps. Don't think the newest phones are worth the price.
I have had my G6 for a year as well, and it's been the best phone I've ever owned. I love this phone. Sure, the battery isn't the greatest, but I carry a spare battery pack with me if I know I won't be able to charge it easily while traveling. The camera is without compare as of yet, the wide angle camera pics always have people asking me what kind of camera I use. It was good enough to take killer real estate pics of my house for sale.

I love the slim width of this phone, as it makes it easy to use one handed. I have no complaints about the phone, and have a moderate amount of apps, but don't game on my phone. Still a great deal for 240, but even better with the gift cards that are sure to appear on black friday.
Dec 25, 2017
584 posts
445 upvotes
Rogido wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 1:47 pm
Actually I didn't realize the GC promo is on Tab M. If that's the case, then ordering directly online would be the easier option, or pick one up from TMS, if you shop at Superstore and can use the points.
Sure do shop at Superstore, No Frills, Shoppers. etc. I see online it's up to 150k points, so $150, anyone got a clue if those points are for small tab or medium tab (or something else)? In Vancouver that matters..