• Nov 24th, 2018 1:17 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2677 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
Sinyk wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:27 am
Unlike the S8 deal, if I select to keep my out of market plan and get this phone, the price does not change.

I'm just not sure if I want to go to the G6 from my G4. It's not much of an upgrade, but I do like that I could get it with the smallest tab.

Anyone with the phone have any opinions on it? pros or cons? I read an article (vague, I know, but I don't remember where) that made it sound like the G5 and G6 weren't that great, but the G7 was a big improvement.
We're a LG family and we've had the G3/4/6 at various times. I'm still using the G6 while my son is on my old G4. None of us are power users by any means, but pros/cons of the G6 relative to the G4 (for me):

PROS
- Waterproof
- Wireless charging
- I like the thinner form factor; easier to hold and type with one hand
- Wide angle camera
- Feels 'solid', relative to the G4 (which always felt a bit flimsier)
- Screen is nice

CONS
- No removable battery -- this is the biggest issue for me, but find me a major manufacturer of top-end phones that has one nowadays
- My rear lens cracked; still functional but now it's not waterproof (and I don't think you can't buy a third-party fix that re-waterproofs it). I don't know if this is a 'thing' or not
- I'm not convinced about the camera; I swear the G4 took better/clearer action shots (eg. kids playing soccer)
- Some people might not like the 18:9 format
- Getting blank stares when I ask people to borrow a USB-C charging cable if I forgot mine

I don't think there's an appreciable difference in things like battery life, etc. but again I'm not massively draining the battery with my usage.

Good luck with your decision. For less than $250, though, I think it's worth the jump and keep the G4 as a backup (I do that as well).
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1613 posts
898 upvotes
Montreal, QC
thesubmitter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:47 pm
240+tax
35+tax
15+tax

So 290+tax
Not when you buy online.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11895 posts
2682 upvotes
VANCOUVER
thesubmitter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:47 pm
240+tax
35+tax
15+tax

So 290+tax
No connection fee if ordered online. What's the $15 for?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1613 posts
898 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Rogido wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:55 pm
No connection fee if ordered online. What's the $15 for?
If he says it's the protection case, I think I'll shoot myself.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3183 posts
1350 upvotes
Halifax
SkimGuy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:31 am
Does anyone know if this model supports wireless charging? According to this site, the US model has it.

Edit; According to the Koodo forum, it does.

https://community.koodomobile.com/andro ... ndex1.html
Yes it does. It works with both standards. I have my Duracell Powermat charging it now! This phone also supports the qi standard. You need to make sure, if you do get a case, that the back is thin enough to allow for wireless charging.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
1613 posts
898 upvotes
Montreal, QC
thesubmitter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:58 pm
Seasonal hold
So the deal is really $240 + taxes for the people this deal is intended to.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
5444 posts
1296 upvotes
Scarborough
willy0275 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:00 pm
So the deal is really $240 + taxes for the people this deal is intended to.
You will have to cancel the plan afterwards, so add a few bucks for prorated service. But essentially it's a 240+tax phone yes
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11895 posts
2682 upvotes
VANCOUVER
thesubmitter wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:58 pm
Seasonal hold
It's not a slam-dunk that you could change the plan to SH though. You may as well order online, then cancel right away, since you won't be making any 3rd party retailer unhappy.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2021 posts
430 upvotes
Kelowna
Bishop8 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:32 pm
We're a LG family and we've had the G3/4/6 at various times. I'm still using the G6 while my son is on my old G4. None of us are power users by any means, but pros/cons of the G6 relative to the G4 (for me):

PROS
- Waterproof
- Wireless charging
- I like the thinner form factor; easier to hold and type with one hand
- Wide angle camera
- Feels 'solid', relative to the G4 (which always felt a bit flimsier)
- Screen is nice

CONS
- No removable battery -- this is the biggest issue for me, but find me a major manufacturer of top-end phones that has one nowadays
- My rear lens cracked; still functional but now it's not waterproof (and I don't think you can't buy a third-party fix that re-waterproofs it). I don't know if this is a 'thing' or not
- I'm not convinced about the camera; I swear the G4 took better/clearer action shots (eg. kids playing soccer)
- Some people might not like the 18:9 format
- Getting blank stares when I ask people to borrow a USB-C charging cable if I forgot mine

I don't think there's an appreciable difference in things like battery life, etc. but again I'm not massively draining the battery with my usage.

Good luck with your decision. For less than $250, though, I think it's worth the jump and keep the G4 as a backup (I do that as well).
Is the back flat? That was one beef of mine with my G4. If you put it down, it wobbles side to side.

From what I have read in the specs, the G4 camera is better than the G6 camera. My G4 has worked great since I bought it. The only real reason I would upgrade is because the opportunity is there. Also, i worry about how much life my battery has left after 2+ years of daily use.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3375 posts
774 upvotes
Home
Back is completely flat.
I like the form factor and it really feels solid with very good design (still in 2018 standards).
The wide-angle is something you will really appreciate.
I have S9+, coming from LG phones, it's one thing I miss for sure.

On the other hand, as people mentioned, battery life is still..I would say above average at best.
And the image quality from camera is not as good as G5 for sure. They actually used lower-grade sensor(s) and lens(es) than G5....meaning, it's not impressive in 2018. But for $240, it's definitely the best value.
Koodo $40 6GB
Oct 24, 2008
849 posts
482 upvotes
The vibrate function stopped working on my G6, 1 month out of warranty. I tried contacting LG to see if they'd do good-will since I found numerous complaints about this online, but no support from them.
I like the phone, really like the wide angle camera, but I probably won't get LG again