Cell Phones

Koodo MB/SK $48 plan, and upgrading my phone

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2017 7:15 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2009
2546 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto

Koodo MB/SK $48 plan, and upgrading my phone

Hey Guys,

So I just ordered the oneplus 5T and saw that it takes nano sim cards. I currently have a micro sim. I'm not sure how this process works because I haven't switched my phone in about 6 years..

So I need to order a sim card from koodo, and activate it correct? Will this alert them to the fact that I'm on an out of province plan?
20 replies
Member
Oct 26, 2016
274 posts
239 upvotes
I think you should cut (DIY) the sim card if you don’t want to pass by Koodo and save the fee for the sim card. But from my experience, some phones require better cut than others.

Good luck
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 25, 2003
15448 posts
4071 upvotes
Markham
Just buy a new sim from koodo or resellers like Best Buy
And simply log in to yourself serve and switch to new sim
Under mobile services you will find “Change your SIM card or phone”
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1777 posts
941 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Just buy a new sim from koodo or resellers like Best Buy
And simply log in to yourself serve and switch to new sim
Under mobile services you will find “Change your SIM card or phone”
THIS.
Better safe than diy cut sim.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
10553 posts
1753 upvotes
Yes, just cut it yourself. if you damage the SIM card, go buy a nano SIM, you have nothing to lose,
Mugen123 wrote: Hey Guys,

So I just ordered the oneplus 5T and saw that it takes nano sim cards. I currently have a micro sim. I'm not sure how this process works because I haven't switched my phone in about 6 years..

So I need to order a sim card from koodo, and activate it correct? Will this alert them to the fact that I'm on an out of province plan?
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2009
2546 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote: Just buy a new sim from koodo or resellers like Best Buy
And simply log in to yourself serve and switch to new sim
Under mobile services you will find “Change your SIM card or phone”
"This feature is no longer available. Please visit a store, send us a private message on Facebook or call us at 1-866-995-6636 to swap your SIM card."

I wanted to avoid cutting it myself.. but looks like I might have to.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13666 posts
11147 upvotes
Leask
Mugen123 wrote: "This feature is no longer available. Please visit a store, send us a private message on Facebook or call us at 1-866-995-6636 to swap your SIM card."

I wanted to avoid cutting it myself.. but looks like I might have to.
Lolz, can't a CSR do it for you over the phone? Are CSR's re-rating everyone's out of province rate plan now?
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
1273 posts
361 upvotes
YYC
Mugen123 wrote: Hey Guys,

So I just ordered the oneplus 5T and saw that it takes nano sim cards. I currently have a micro sim. I'm not sure how this process works because I haven't switched my phone in about 6 years..

So I need to order a sim card from koodo, and activate it correct? Will this alert them to the fact that I'm on an out of province plan?
You can upgrade phone without a new plan? I have the $48 plan as well..
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
13666 posts
11147 upvotes
Leask
Importz wrote: You can upgrade phone without a new plan? I have the $48 plan as well..
Koodo doesn't supply the OnePlus 5T. OP purchased it with their hard-earned money.
No solicitation in sigs
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 5, 2013
5277 posts
1241 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
Sushi4life wrote: I think you should cut (DIY) the sim card if you don’t want to pass by Koodo and save the fee for the sim card. But from my experience, some phones require better cut than others.

Good luck
I will never cut a sim card to nano, it may damage the simcard reader if the cut is rough, once it dagame cannot read any sim card you save $10 you lost $500.

Freedom Mobile F&F

Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
Mugen123 wrote: Hey Guys,

So I just ordered the oneplus 5T and saw that it takes nano sim cards. I currently have a micro sim. I'm not sure how this process works because I haven't switched my phone in about 6 years..

So I need to order a sim card from koodo, and activate it correct? Will this alert them to the fact that I'm on an out of province plan?
Just take it to BB or Koodo and they have a SIM cutter their. Ask them politely and they will have no reason as to why they won't do it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8402 posts
3583 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Sushi4life wrote: I think you should cut (DIY) the sim card if you don’t want to pass by Koodo and save the fee for the sim card. But from my experience, some phones require better cut than others.

Good luck
82 wrote: Yes, just cut it yourself. if you damage the SIM card, go buy a nano SIM, you have nothing to lose,
Bad advice. Nano SIMs are thinner than Micro/Mini SIMs and you risk damaging the SIM slot pins. Physical damage is not covered under warranty.

Saving $15 vs damaging a $500 phone.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 3, 2006
8402 posts
3583 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Importz wrote: You can upgrade phone without a new plan? I have the $48 plan as well..
Yes you can, I did it before with my $55 plan in ON, after they switched it to $48. After they mysteriously credited my account with $125 Koodo tab on a no-tab discount account...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 28, 2006
10553 posts
1753 upvotes
There were lots of discussion about the thickness difference of Micro and Nano but I had done it on iphone 5, 6 and various Android phoned and never had a problem, nor I heard anyone damage their phones as a result. If you are concerned, go buy a Nano SIM.
ToniCipriani wrote: Bad advice. Nano SIMs are thinner than Micro/Mini SIMs and you risk damaging the SIM slot pins. Physical damage is not covered under warranty.

Saving $15 vs damaging a $500 phone.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 19, 2010
1273 posts
361 upvotes
YYC
ToniCipriani wrote: Yes you can, I did it before with my $55 plan in ON, after they switched it to $48. After they mysteriously credited my account with $125 Koodo tab on a no-tab discount account...
Do you have to go in a store to do it? I tried to do it online but it says that i have to add a new plan..

Top